“Some excellence, some need for improvement”

Berjaya Langkawi Resort - Malaysia
Ranked #12 of 103 Hotels in Langkawi
Wellington, New Zealand
“Some excellence, some need for improvement”
Reviewed 7 May 2010

The Berjaya is in a great location and has an excellent pool and beach area. The resort is large but walkable, and there is some fantastic wildlife in the area.

We booked a deluxe chalet - we were very disappointed when we arrived at our room. The room was quite far from the sea (up in the jungle), and to be honest the jungle area is not lush, so had a dry, hot feeling about it. The room was exactly as it appeared in the photos on the website, but it was in desperate need of refurbishment. Mould on the curtains, older furniture - and an honest comment, the bathroom felt like it was a public toilet. After some silence and deliberation my husband and I decided we were not going to be happy in this room.

I had asked for a quiet chalet with a seaview, and they had honoured my request the best they could - the chalet was a standalone (whereas some are joined to other chalets), and it did have a partial seaview. It just wasn't up to our usual standard.

So we spoke to reception and asked if we could be moved to a chalet closer to the water. Leo was really helpful, and told us that he could move us the following day. We also enquired about upgrading to a premium chalet on land (a step up from the chalet we were in), and he drove us to look at one - we felt immediately that we would be more comfortable in one of these, so we agreed to pay an additional RM280/night. He mentioned that there was one with a nicer view but it was further away from the main building - we were okay with walking so took it.

This room was MUCH nicer. Made of concrete instead of wood, roomier and definitely newer. With a great view of the sea.

They sent us chocolate cake and wine to acknowledge our honeymoon, which we really appreciated - and they were really good!

There is a bar sunken into the pool which made the pool area really social. The only niggle I had about this was that every alternate step descending into the pool was covered in very sharp stones - not nice to walk on and I would hate to have scraped anything on it, I'm sure it would have been nasty.

The beach area is really nice - and because most of Langkawi's beautiful beaches seem to be inaccessible to the public, it was a very good idea to stay in a hotel with a nice beach.

Breakfast buffet was ok - but it was very hot and sweaty, as it's open air. There are fans and we just chose to sit underneath them.

We rented a small car from the hotel for an afternoon for RM70 - couldn't rent scooters as they were 125cc and you are required to have a motorbike license to ride them.

The shuttles around the resort arrive quickly when called, and are available 24 hours.

In our room (1249) the air conditioning was rather loud, and the aircon switch had a bright red light which lit up the whole room at night. We just wore eye masks and ear plugs - no drama.

Overall I would recommend this resort, but you may to pay more to be comfortable.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pmorg
relaxLGK, General Manager at Berjaya Langkawi Resort - Malaysia, responded to this review, 7 May 2010
Thanks for staying with us on your special occasion and I am so pleased that overall you had an enjoyable stay. We are in the process of ongoing renovation and improvement so expect that the issues you raise will progressively be attended to as we strive for constant improvement. Feed back like yours assists in helping us to concentrate on the priority areas and I want to thank you for your objective review and for taking the time to post it on TA. I look forward to seeing you again in the future and hearing your views on how things have improved. Kind regards, Enzo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,190)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 7 May 2010

My husband and I traveled from Australia with our 5 year old and 1 year old. We met my parents from the UK and spent almost 2 weeks at the Berjaya. I researched which resort to stay in a lot before we traveled and eventually decided this one and am so glad we did. From the very start to the very end, we had a fantastic experience.

We had two premier chalets which were interconnecting. Our chalet (1208) had ample room for the 4 of us. My five year old used the day bed which was perfect (sheets and pillow were provided) and the hotel provided a cot for our baby. The rooms were the biggest we have stayed in before and left ample space to move around. My parents were in 1209 connecting next door.

The rooms were spotless and cleaned every day to a high standard. Bathroom was massive. We had a view of the ocean and woke up to the sound of the waves every day. The balcony was large with comfortable chairs to relax after a busy day at the pool!

The location of the room was excellent and would recommend it. We were about a 10 minute walk from the resort centre or we could hop on to a shuttle bus. Some of the rooms would be too far to walk but with these room numbers you had the option. With the premier rooms breakfast is included in the Beach restaurant which is a far better breakfast than in the main dining room. We felt the food was fresher and of a higher standard not to mention the beautiful setting over the ocean. There were also far less flies in this restaurant.

We found the staff to be so friendly and could not do enough for you. They absolutely adored the children and made them feel so special. My 5 year old son met a waitress in the beach restaurant called Nova who he now calls his girlfriend! She was so courteous and even decorated the table for us on our last night. Thank you Nova.

The pool area was very nice, we spent the majority of our time in the pool. There were always waiters taking our orders for food and drinks. The only thing I would say about the pool is that the steps in and out of the pool and the sides are made of a very sharp concrete which you have to be careful with young children. In places the pool is a little bit shabby but nothing drastic.

We went to the beach daily. Sand is beautiful and racked. Always plenty of sunbeds and again waiters coming round taking orders for food and drink. After a few days my 5 year old son got stung by what we were told was a jelly fish. the next day both my parents also got stung so we were a little dubious after this about going in the sea.

The value of the food was good. We ate in the main restaurant the first night and had the buffet which was 77RM per adult (free for children) however, this was probably not the best meal we had and did not do this again. The other nights we either ate at the beach restaurant which was a little pricey or we went out of the resort.

We went to Kuah town one evening for the night markets. We thought this would consist of local crafts but was nothing of the sort. Good to see but was just local food and other goods. We could not find a good restaurant so had to eat at the Bayview Hotel which was not all that good! Kuah is a 40 minute drive and not really worth it.

We also went to Pantai Cenang one evening which is about 20 min's from the Berjaya. Lots of resort here but also a stretch of road with many restaurants, bars and shops to choose from.

An excellent place to eat other than in the resort is Perdana Harbor which is just a 5 minute taxi ride from the Berjaya just past the oriental village. A developing area but has a small harbor with about 8 restaurants all about 9 months old. We ate in one at the end of the Harbor twice called Tapas and had lovely meals and great value for money.

Cable car well worth doing. Beautiful views. Also go on Dev's nature walk as you learn so much about the rainforest vegetation and its wildlife.

One slight issue with the resort for families with young children is there are lots of steps. If you have a stroller be prepared to have to hike it up and down in the resort as well as to your room. It can be a struggle especially in the heat.

We stayed at the Berjaya Times Square in KL for 1 night after Langkawi and had a completely different experience (see my review if interested). The staff at the Berjaya Times Square needs to take a leaf out of the Berjaya Langkawi's book!

Overall a holiday to remember. Perfect setting, very quiet and tranquil and unique. Would defiantly return in future years Thank you Berjaya Langkawi

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Lulu793
Thanks for the wonderful Review and I am so pleased the holiday with your family was enjoyable. I will also make sure that Nova sees your comments as I am sure that she will be chuffed that you appreciated her naturally warm hearted approach to people and especially children. One of the things I love about being here is the natural warmth of the staff to people in general and especially children. We are in an ongoing improvement process and so I expect that over time some of the minor maintenance items you raised will be attended to. Also, with regards to children and strollers or people with handicaps, we do have locations that are much more user friendly and we will be more aware of allocating these locations for guests with these needs. I am not sure but I think I may have met you with your child in a stroller at the top of the lobby steps on the way to the Dayang Cafe that day it was raining when you asked me if there was any other way down to the Cafe level. Anyway, I will make sure that we are more aware of these needs as there are very acceptable options at the resort despite the forest setting. Thanks again for your kind comments and feedback and be assured of our best attention to detail as we strive for constant improvement. Kind regards, Enzo Rulli GM
Singapore
Reviewed 6 May 2010

I had mixed emotions as i had read both positive & negative reviews about this particular resort. I was looking forward to the break and we had booked Junior Chalet on water on which i couldn't find much information on the internet. The moment we stepped into the room, i knew that we had made the right choice. Yes the rooms were slightly old and might be in need of a minor renovation but overall it was fantastic. We could hear the waves lapping gently now & then (right below our chalet) and especially at night, it was simply splendid. The view from the balcony was magnificent and i just couldn't get enough.

The staff were extremely helpful and polite and the concierge were at our service whenever we dialled for a shuttle to pick us to the lobby. The in house Ayura SPA service was excelled and we had a relaxing massage and facial. We tried the Dayang cafe where the food was good and the Pahn-Thai restaurant was beyond any doubt the best. It's location on water and under the moon light concept was very endearing.

Our Breakfast was at Beach restaurant daily and yes there birds and flies but what can one expect in such a place and we weren't bothered by it. Instead we were pleased by the sumptuous spread every morning. There were a lot of monkeys, flying lemurs and lizards which were a treat to our eyes. We visited the oriental village (walking distance from hotel lobby) and took the cable car ride up to the suspended bridge and it proved to be beautiful and worth it.

Overall, Langkawi was a fantastic place and Berjaya Langkawi Beach & Resort SPA was very commendable and worth every penny.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hanya2711
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 May 2010

The trip didn't start off well but we eventually settle down for a relaxing holiday. We had a change of chalets so that we can have both next to each other hence 1 of the chalets was not ready for occupancy. The front desk said it will be ready in 15 minutes time. We were sent to 1 of the chalet by the hotel shuttle whilst waiting for the other one. The front desk called 10 mins later to tell us that they will deliver the key to us soon. We waited for more than 1.5 hours before the key was delivered to us with several prior calls to front desk.

We called the operator to have the shuttle to pick us up as our chalets were quite a distance from the lobby. We waited for 15 mins outside our chalets but nobody came to pick us up. We returned to our room to call the operator again only to find out that nobody passed the message to the concierge. Wasted a lot of our time waiting for the keys and the shuttle service on our first day.

Second night of our stay were a lot better since we didn't have to deal with the staff so often anymore. We called for the shuttle to pick us up, waited outside and hopped on to whichever shuttle that passed. Not sure whether it's meant for us but the driver will stop us for anyway.

The resort itself is 45mins away from Langkawi main town, Kuah but located next to Langkawi cable car. Unfortunately for us, the cable car was closed for maintenance for about 2 weeks.

The attraction in the resort itself is the wildlife spotting. Geckos are the most common to be seen in the room as they can slip through the door gap and the monkeys which are the reason the balcony door need to be closed at all times. Apparently one can frequently spot a family of 4 otters at the beach area but we didn't spend time on the beach as it was too hot so we have no idea.

The rate per night for the hotel was quite expensive. I haven't stay in Mutiara Burau Bay, hence not sure whether Mutiara Burau Bay would have been better as the hotel rate there is almost half the price of it's next door neighbour, Berjaya Langkawi Resort.

The Pahn-Thai Restaurant has a nice setting for a romantic dinner overlooking the Andaman Sea but can cater to very few tables only and subject to weather condition due to al-fresco dining. Prior reservation is required due to its limited seating. We didn't get a chance to try the food since we found out the hard way of not reserving the table earlier. We found out that the management refused to increase the staff headcount which resulted in them not having more tables and slow in serving their food. The restaurant only opens in the evening and each table generally takes around 2 to 3 hours to finish their meals so those who didn't reserve earlier can't even wait for the others to finish as by then, it's near to the restaurant closing time.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Travellerstrail
relaxLGK, General Manager at Berjaya Langkawi Resort - Malaysia, responded to this review, 6 May 2010
Thank you so much for staying with us at Berjaya Langkawi and for taking the time to share your experience. My apologies for the room and shuttle delays you experienced on the first day and we will take this as an opportunity to focus more in these areas. Sorry that you were not able to sample the dining experience at the Pahn Thai restaurant, Just for your information, we have not refused to increase staff numbers at the restautant in fact we are happy to do this to meet guest requirements. We are in the process of planning a renovation for the Pahn Thai which will increase the indoor seating capacity in case of inclement weather and to also replace the furnishings with newer and an increased number of settings - these are the factors that reduce our seating capacity now and not the unwillingness to increase satffing. So expect this to improve as we complete the renovation.

I am pleased that overall your stay was enjoyable and please be asured of our desire for continuous improvement in all areas. Hope you will be able to experience these imporvements the next time you choose to stay with us. Kind Regards, Enzo Rulli GM
Aussies on the eastern side
Reviewed 5 May 2010

We are long time users of Trip advisor and are confused!!!!
I dont know if the below messages are even about the same resort as we stayed in.......we did stay in the Berjaya Langkawi.......I just checked my tickets again!!!!!
We have travelled wide and far around asia in the past 4 years and on this trip we stayed in a 5star resort in Ho Ann, Vietnam and then came to the Berjaya for ten nights on recommendations from Trip Advisor....and it did not fail us.
The Berjaya must be 7 star!!!!!!
From the moment we arrived ALL STAFF could not have been more friendly and both my wife and i said we needed to place a sign on our heads saying 'HELLO', as we were sick of saying it in the end - but it gives you a wonderfull feeling when all the staff are so friendly and welcoming day in and day out.
We were upgraded by management and stayed out on the water.
What an experience. We stayed for ten nights and loved every moment of it.
The food was great, and the rooms were kept spotless, beds turned down and a wonderfull treat left on the bed every night.
We consistently had housekeepin asking if there were problems with our room which they maybe able to fix and I cant say anymore - you really have to expereince it!!!!.
To the people below with their comments.
I have stayed at a mixture of hotels in the past 2star to 5 star across asia where someone accidentlly leaves egg shell in the scramblled eggs.....how picky can one be....a mistake.....dont you make mistakes!!!
The resort is in a rainforest setting.....helloooo......there are usually bugs everywhere.
Monkeys were seen only four times in ten days by us, they kept to themselves and played...no harm and quiet a delight to see.
In ten nights we never had to wait longer then seven minutes for a buggy.......i was timing them as we were at the end most area of the resort and thought it may take longer.
The breakfast had a very large array of food types and in the end we noticed you start to eat less and less of buffet breakfasts....but it was all worth it, nice food.
The beach was always clean and tidy, and the water in the beach was the warmest water I have ever been in.
The pool was nice, and pool bar was easy to use and there were so many employees around to assist you they were tripping over themselves.
TRUELY THE MOST MAGICAL RESORT MY WIFE AND I HAVE EVER STAYED IN.
Our only disappointment was we asked to see the manager on one occasion to thank him for the upgrade and his communication prior to our booking but they could not locate him. His communication via email prior to out attendance was 1st rate and nothing was ever a problem for him.
Thankyou Enzo and ALL your staff for making our ten nights a wonderfull time.
Don & Bec
Australia

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank oztravelers1975
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 May 2010

I thought this was a terrible resort. The food was terrible finding egg shells in the scrambled eggs was disgusting . Sadly the food was tasteless and boring.Our two bedroom chalet was very old and was in urgent need of a renovation from the 70's decor, the rooms smelt and the cutains and bed coverings were very old.. We stayed at this place with 2 young children for 6 days and couldn't wait to get out. The staff were not helpful with any of our queiries. Location was good and the beach was nice. I feel that overall this place is due for a major renovation.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
relaxLGK, General Manager at Berjaya Langkawi Resort - Malaysia, responded to this review, 5 May 2010
Thank you for your review and for previously staying with us at Berjaya Langkawi. It was with regret that I see you did not enjoy your stay. I noticed that you had stayed with us over 2 years ago and I would like to advise that we have been trying hard to improve things over that period and hope that you would notice some improvements if you were to stay with us again in the future. While we are on a quest for constant improvement, it is with feedback such as yours that we can ensure we do not become complacent and continually strive to deliver on customers expecations. Thanks again for your honest feedback,
Kind Regards, Enzo Rulli GM
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Reviewed 2 May 2010

Was there in March and I had some fixed feelings. The location, nature, food were very nice - also some animals running around (monkeys) make it really interesting. Nice beach and pool. Considering this part of the trip - was really great and loved it.

BUT the rooms really depend on what you are used to. I had deluxe room on the hill. I encountered stains on the bed, broken plastic/ light in the bathroom, some small "flies" in the room (and when leaving the room at the end I also detected them on the bed), lizzard in the bathroom in the morning, doors and windows do not really close (small gap => lizzard?)... and it's quite humid unless the AC is on. The room was really outdated. Beware of the "normal" huts because the walls are also made our of wood and there are some gaps.... so really depends, you will enjoy the rooms when you like to have some "nature" around you.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business