“BEWARE”
Review of Tanjung Rhu Resort

Tanjung Rhu Resort
Ranked #9 of 107 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I'm sitting here reading all the recent reviews on Tanjung Rhu Resort & wondering what happened to my vacation here.

We spent a fabulous holiday here 5 years ago & therefore chose to spend a relaxing 6 nights here again after touring New Zealand. I made the reservation in June 2013, 9 months in advance to ensure there was availability for the room that we wanted.

In December 2013 I received a letter from my tour operator explaining that Tanjung Rhu had informed them of renovations at the hotel during our stay. We were promised that this would have little to no effect what so ever on our stay at the hotel. Feeling a little worried that it may have an impact on our stay and just to double check that our room catagory would still be available to us, I emailed the hotel directly explaining my concerns. I also asked about the restaurants still being open & available to us during our stay. I was so looking forward to returning here that it would have taken several bulldozers to put me off.

I did not receive a reply within a couple of days so I gave them the benefit of doubt and I emailed again. Still silence. This filled me with little confidence as it is not the way to treat concerned returning guests, so I spoke to my tour operator again. They were very sympathetic & called Tanjung Rhu & asked them to reply to me. Eventually they did, ensuring me that there would be no problem at all with our holiday, We would be able to keep the accommodation we had booked & although one of the restaurants had been relocated to a different spot within the resort, they were fully operational & we would without doubt still enjoy our holiday.

Feeling happy we set off for New Zealand on 9th February & enjoyed a busy 5 weeks of traveling without any problems arising. On the day we were leaving Auckland for our stay in Langkawi I had an email from our tour operator asking me to call urgently. With the time difference of 13 hours we were actually at the airport on the verge of checking in for our flight before I finally managed to talk to them on the telephone. We were greeted with the news that Tanjung Rhu had closed the day before - no warning what so ever. You can imagine my devastation & the tears started to fall.

I can't believe that they would treat repeat guests in this way. The story we were given was that half the hotel was closed for renovations & the other half was being used as a film set. We were offered a choice of 2 other hotels but no apology and no explanation. I'm not entirely sure whether this was offered to us by our tour operator or Tanjung Rhu but I am still in shock that having made reservations here 9 months in advance that this could happen the day before our arrival. It has totally taken my faith away in the Tanjung Rhu Resort & the wonderful memories I treasured as one of the best beach holidays I had ever taken anywhere in the world.

We had a wonderful 6 nights at a different hotel & I shall review that in a separate report as I would normally but an explanation would be nice from Tanjung Rhu Resort in the meantime. I am left with the feeling that all is not well at Tanjung Rhu!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Virginia W
TRRKLSO, Manager at Tanjung Rhu Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear grovehouse,

First and foremost, we are very much appreciated and value your loyalty in choosing to stay at beautiful Tanjung Rhu Resort. Thank you for spending your time to write a review of beautiful Tanjung Rhu Resort.

Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.

The Management

Write a ReviewReviews (1,410)

Reviewed 26 March 2014

My family and I stayed here for 5 days a few weeks ago. Beautiful hotel, grounds and beach. The level of service was outstanding and probably the best of any hotel I have stayed in. There was construction happening at that time, which could explain the low occupancy rate. However I never heard any significant noise.
The beach is cleaned daily by a tractor and most of the beach (probably over 2km long) is the private beach of the hotel. It is probably the best beach on Langkawi and is very secluded. It has 3 swimming pools including an adults only area. Although we spent most of out time in the large family pool we were often the only ones there. For those after a " happening " sort of resort in a central area, this place is not for you.
The only thing which perhaps could improve slightly is the food. Although very good, I would rate it as 4.5 star rather than 5.
Overall excellent for families, but also for couples due to its seclusion.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly renovated rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Aji C,

Thank you for choosing the hospitality of beautiful Tanjung Rhu Resort as your family vacation and spending your time to write a review of your recent stay with us. Your wonderful review means a lot to us all.

Thank you very much for sharing such gracious feedbacks and the ongoing refurbishment did not caused any problem to you. We are working hard to provide our guests a beautiful brand new for both interior and exterior. We can assure that once our renovation and refurbishment are completed, Tanjung Rhu Resort will be more spectacular than ever.

Our entire team, indeed, is passionate about enhancing your experience in any way that we can. We definitely do our level best to provide the best customer service to all our guests and it brings us great joy we accomplished that.

Thank you for pointing out our three swimming pools and our beautiful private beach as the best beach on the island of Langkawi. In fact, Tanjung Rhu Resort’s beach front has the natural advantage of being strategically located on 2.5 kilometers of prime sandy white beach facing the warm waters of the Andaman Sea. Our locale promises only warm, calm waters, ideal for those desiring utter and complete relaxation.

The feedback for our culinary service means a lot to us, our chefs in particular, they work tremendously hard to ensure your food is the highest quality. Therefore, we certainly will pass on your kind words and suggestions to them.

We do hope you and your family return to Tanjung Rhu Resort again in future and we look forward to having you as our guest again. We will make sure that your upcoming experience with us will be both enjoyable and a legendary one.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

We have enjoyed holidays here every year for the past 8 years and returned after 2 weeks nearly a month ago. The staff are as excellent as ever and refurbed rooms good,but this year things are noticeably worse:- 1) People not staying at the resort or visiting guests that are, are allowed in for drinks and/or food. Inevitably they take the best seats round the bars, taking photos and talking loudly. This is unfair on guests who pay to stay here. 2) Wifi is almost non existent unlike last year when it was pretty good. 3) Never saw the General Manager,the previous GM made himself known via a weekly cocktail party,shame he left (Enzo Rulli by name).4) No dress code at Chefs table restaurant, vests,sandals,kids all accepted. Let's hope the revamped Rhu returns with high standards. Saffron is best to eat at even in its temporary position.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear LondonTtravel,

We would like to express our sincere appreciation for your great support and for the confidence that you have placed in us. Thank you for choosing the hospitality of beautiful Tanjung Rhu Resort and spending your time to write a review of your recent stay with us.

Our entire team, in fact, is passionate about enhancing your experience in any way that we can. We definitely do our level best to provide the best customer service to all our guests and it brings us great joy we accomplished that.

We are delighted you found our refurbished room is good. We are working hard to provide our guests a beautiful brand new for both interior and exterior. We can assure that once our renovation and refurbishment are completed, Tanjung Rhu Resort will be more spectacular than ever.

On a brighter note, the feedback for our culinary service in Saffron means a lot to us, our chefs in particular, they work tremendously hard to ensure your food is the highest quality and and the temporary position did not cause any problem to you. We certainly will pass on your kind words to the team.

Once again, we are very much appreciated and value your loyalty in choosing to stay in our hotels especially that was your 9th visit to Tanjung Rhu Resort. We do hope you and your couple return to Tanjung Rhu Resort again in future and we look forward to having you as our guest again. We will make sure that your upcoming experience with us will be both enjoyable and a legendary one.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

The hotel is in a unique place in the beautiful island of Langkawi, it is maybe 40 minutes from the city center. but it has the best beach on the island , the hotel has its private beach of more than 2 km long with a fantastic breathtaking view of green mountains and clear water. it is really a paradise for honeymooners looking for privacy and enjoying the nature.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
TRRKLSO, Manager at Tanjung Rhu Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Dear Amrcd1,

Thank you for choosing the hospitality of beautiful Tanjung Rhu Resort and spending your time to write a review of your recent experience with us.

Thank you for pointing out our hotel as a unique place and our beautiful private beach as the best beach on the island of Langkawi. In fact, Tanjung Rhu Resort’s beach front has the natural advantage of being strategically located on 2.5 kilometres of prime sandy white beach facing the warm waters of the Andaman Sea. Our locale promises only warm, calm waters, ideal for those desiring utter and complete relaxation.

Thanks again, and we hope you'll choose Tanjung Rhu Resort the next time you're in Langkawi.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Was there for a business meeting ( leadership team building ) and real side I had been there in 2005 as well . Place was still the same , no changes and the walk to the closest island in low tide gave me a feeling of déjà vu.
Although quite sad to see the beach shore ending up with a lot of waste obviously from either oil spills in the sea or waste thrown by unfriendly tourists up stream.
The room was great and so was the food and service .
Obviously better service since this was off season so my colleague said.
Great place and yes would enjoy going up there again with family for an easy 4 day trip .
Only down side is outside The hotel closest place to go would be a good 40 mins drive . But it's worth it .

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Suhas77
TRRKLSO, Manager at Tanjung Rhu Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Suhas77,

It was a pleasure to read your feedback of your recent stay at our beautiful Tanjung Rhu Resort. It is wonderful to know Tanjung Rhu Resort belongs to your heart, imprinted memory walk to the closest island in low tide which gave you a feeling of déjà vu.

We always endeavour to meet our guest expectations and ensure we deliver a memorable experience. We appreciate your feedback and noted among all concerned. We will keep continuously observe the beach shore which ending up with a lot of waste, oil spills in the sea or waste thrown by unfriendly tourists up stream. Friendly green environment is our concerned.

We do hope you and your family return to Tanjung Rhu Resort in future and we look forward to having you and your family as our guests. We will make sure that your upcoming experience with us will be both enjoyable and a legendary one.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We had some trepidation about visiting Tanjung Rhu as we were aware that the development work was still on-going. Certainly there were areas of the resort "blocked off" which was a little unsightly, but the essence of the resort remains the same. The position alongside a superb beach is still superb, and we were lucky enough to stay at a time of "zero tide" when the rock formations in the bay were easily accessible along the sandbar. An early morning walk there accompanied by the resort naturalist was a highlight.
The Rhu and Saffron restaurants have been re-located during the upgrading work but the standards of cuisine and service were unchanged. In particular we had a quite wonderful Valentine's Night dinner in the Chefs Table restaurant (the current name for the displaced Rhu)
Our room was one which had been upgraded and the result was very good indeed - spacious, comfortable and well appointed.
Finally, and most important, the staff were friendly, welcoming and efficient.
We are sure the completion of the redevelopment will even further enhance the hotel, and we will be sure to return to enjoy them.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IanHYarm

Dear IanHYarm,

We would like to express our sincere appreciation for your continued support and for the confidence that you have placed in us. Thank you for choosing the hospitality of beautiful Tanjung Rhu Resort and spending your time to write a review of your recent stay with us.

Thank you for pointing out our beautiful private beach and sandbar, especially the highlight was your early morning walk accompanied by our naturalist. In fact, Tanjung Rhu Resort’s beach front has the natural advantage of being strategically located on 2.5 kilometres of prime sandy white beach facing the warm waters of the Andaman Sea. Our locale promises only warm, calm waters, ideal for those desiring utter and complete relaxation.

The feedback for our culinary service at our restaurants, The Rhu, Saffron and Chef Table, means a lot to us, our chefs in particular, they work tremendously hard to ensure the standards of cuisine and service is the highest quality. We certainly will pass on your generous review to the team members.

We are delighted you found our suite room was very good, spacious, comfortable and well appointed. We are working hard to provide our guests a beautiful brand new for both interior and exterior. We can assure that once our renovation and refurbishment are completed, Tanjung Rhu Resort will be more spectacular than ever.

We do hope you and your couple return to beautiful Tanjung Rhu Resort again in future and we look forward to having you as our guest again. We will make sure that your upcoming experience with us will be both enjoyable and a legendary one.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Overall I really enjoyed my stay at the hotel. It is undergoing refurbishment (which the beach facade is greatly in need of) but despite that, the rooms where good and the bits that had already been completed were fabulous, especially the pools!! The private beach is fantastic and further added to the hotels sense of serenity. BUT I felt it was let down by the details that, for the cost of the hotel, should have been much better!!

Firstly, within an hour of arriving we were sat by the stunning adult only pool and ordered two cocktails; a Pina Colada which was very disappointing for such a simple well loved cocktail, and a Sangria that was pretty awful (in fact we didn’t finish it). We then tried two more 'hotel specialty’s’ that were equally disappointing and sadly came to the conclusion it was best to stick to beer and wine. Following this we then looked at the pool lunch menu that was strongly catered towards 'western' tastes. There were burgers, club sandwiches, pizzas and almost everything, including the salads came with potato wedges. For me this was surprising for a 5* hotel and rather upsetting that they felt this was the only type food that their guests would want.

Having said all that, come the evening we dined at their signature restaurant, which I have to say, was fabulous! The food was in a different league to everything else that we were served during our stay, and it more than lived up to the expectations of a hotel of this calibre.

Along with that the staff were all very friendly and helpful throughout so it is hard to decide whether I would recommend it or not. It is a beautiful place and we did have a wonderful time. I can see why everyone writes such great things but, in my opinion, taking into consideration the cost, they still have a lot to improve upon.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Amy H
TRRKLSO, Manager at Tanjung Rhu Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Amy H,

Thank you for choosing the hospitality of beautiful Tanjung Rhu Resort and spending your time to write a review of your wonderful recent stay with us.

First and foremost, we are saddened to know that you didn't enjoy some of your experience with us. We always endeavour to meet our guest expectations and ensure we deliver a memorable experience. We appreciate your feedback and noted among all concerned. We will look into details in the areas that have been highlighted. Your comments have already been passed on to the departments involved, and we will make sure we do not fall short on our guest services again.

We are delighted you found our room and pools are fabulous. We are working hard to provide our guests a beautiful brand new for both interior and exterior. We can assure that once our renovation and refurbishment are completed, Tanjung Rhu Resort will be more spectacular than ever.

Thank you for pointing out our private beach, which it is fantastic and further added to the hotels sense of serenity. In fact, Tanjung Rhu Resort’s beachfront has the natural advantage of being strategically located on 2.5 kilometres of prime sandy white beach facing the warm waters of the Andaman Sea. Our locale promises only warm, calm waters, ideal for those desiring utter and complete relaxation.

The feedback for our culinary service at our signature restaurant, Chef Table, means a lot to us, our chefs in particular, they work tremendously hard to ensure your food is the highest quality. We certainly will pass on your generous review to the team members.