“A BEAUTIFUL RESORT ON AN ENCHANTING BEACH”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Tanjung Rhu Resort

Tanjung Rhu Resort
Ranked #8 of 100 Hotels in Langkawi
South San Francisco, California
“A BEAUTIFUL RESORT ON AN ENCHANTING BEACH”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2009

I booked this hotel at the last minute after being enormously disappointed by the WESTIN Langkawi where we only staid –waisted- a couple of hours. The Tanjung Rhu management sent their van to allow us to escape from the ocean of mediocrity.

As a repeat customer I was given a marvellous quiet room with views on both inner garden and swimming pool. Beside the ugly stairway leading to our room and the lack of maintenance within the spa area – the 2 saunas were out of order and bathrooms in this area leave a lot to be desired-, our 3 days at this expensive property –USD390 a day inclusive of tax and buffet breakfast- were nice.

Very discrete works were on their way in some part of the hotel but never created any disturbances to us.

Their new Olympic sized pool is simply extraordinary with a gorgeous view on surrounding islands.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
4 Thank HOTELLMEMORE

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2009

stayed here for 14 days as part of a honeymoon trip
Amazing place. The view is great, best from inside the pool...The staff is amazing and very helpful with every thing. The food is great
The Spa is also very good and the staff is expert in what they are doing.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Darlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2009

We returned from this fabulous resort a few days ago and loved everything about it. The location and 1100 acres of gardens are beautiful. We stayed for 14 nights in a Baya Senja room where we looked out over the beach and nearby islands and I must admit, the view from the balcony was amazing!! We even saw a huge owl in a nearby tree one night!!

There are 3 pools but we spent all of the time around the adults only one, I can't understand why people with children have complained that they can't take their children to this pool because the other 2 pools are perfect for them and this one is 5 feet deep so I would be worried if I had a child at the adult pool. It was very quiet and we practically had the poolside to ourselves which was lovely. If you are feeling energetic then this pool is huge so you can swim to your hearts delight.

The room was huge and although they are a little tired looking it did not detract from the holiday at all as it was spotlessly clean. The staff were all so friendly and helpful and they all got to know our names after a day or so, nothing was too much trouble for them. We did a couple of mangrove trips with Zohar and he was so interesting, telling us about the various kinds of wildlife and plants etc.

The hotel restaurants are all very good. We ate in the Sands and Rhu more than the Saffron but the Saffron was good too, and we never had a bad meal at any time, the food was excellent. It is worth going all inclusive even though alcohol is extra.

We hired a car and drove round the island and also went up in the cable car where the views were unbelievable. There are also some shopping malls to visit if you want to.

Would I go back to the Tanjung Rhu...........Definately, and it will be interesting to see it after the refurb, so that will be my excuse to go back!!!! Not that I need one!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BarBri62
Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2009

We have travelled alot, but this hotel is just wonderful. Great service. Great food and location. Area very well kept and staff was awesome.

Had a huge room with seaview and roomservice was nice and quick.

We would go there again, any time :-)

• Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
East Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2009

My husband and I have just returned from this absolutely stunning place. We stayed on the AI basis and this enabled us to eat or drink from any of their food and beverage outlets including room service and room mini bar (excluding alcohol) The Rhu (fine dining) and Saffron restaurants had to be booked after 11am each morning, but no reservation required for The Sands (Asian). All 3 restaurants had extensive A la carte menus and The Rhu menu changes every Friday.
There are 3 swimming pools, one of which is adult only and if you consider 85% plus of the guests were couples we thought this was a very good idea.(unlike a previous reviewer). Maybe if they were there for a relaxing and romantic break as a couple, and had to endure 2-3 hours of a very tired Australian girl whose parents seemed completely oblivious to her constant screaming and crying might agree!
The grounds and gardens are absolutely beautiful and are immaculately kept.
The rooms are probably the nicest we have ever stayed in, despite this are about to be renovated. They are very spacious, well equipped, and the housekeeping service fantastic. During our stay we attended the drinks party and had a really enjoyable time chatting to all the managers. We were told about their renovations for the rooms .and restaurants this year and their plans for the new beach villas to be built 2010.
We used the spa a couple of occasions and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We intended to play tennis and use the gym but were so relaxed could never find the right time. The air conditioned room above Saffron showed live sports and offered free pool, darts, table football and table tennis. Outside the same restaurant each evening at 9.30pm a member of staff would be on the beach for star gazing, an experience to remember.
Overall this was a fantastic holiday fulfilling all our needs, a superb beach location, truly wonderful hotel, fabulous views with awesome sunsets, and delicious food,
All the staff are very friendly and go out of their way to greet you morning, noon and night
always with a smile on their face!
We certainly hope to return to this magical place sometime in the future.

6 Thank Holidaymode5402
Jersey C.I, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two weeks end of April to Mid May, the resort is just stunning.
We arrived late in the evening, welcomed into a lush tropical courtyard and had check in done in the room...nice touch after the gruelling long flight from the UK! We stayed in a Damai Room which is actually the cheapest they offer, however the room was real spacious, gorgeous open bathroom, massive bed and balcony overlooking the lagoon pool...stunning!
The staff really cant do enough for you...they all know your names after a day or so which is also a nice touch.
We went on the all inclusive option and trust me we were impressed as the prices are pretty steep otherwise...we ate in all the restaurants and got room service which was also included. All food was of an amazing quality, we even had Caesar salads made at our table and banana/mango flambees...
Pools are stunning, we spent most our time around the Adults pool...never crowded, never fighting for a sunbed and never ages before a waitress came over to take our order for drinks.

Beach and view is just breath taking...beautiful sunsets most nights.

Good trips offered direct from the hotel and all resonably priced.

I would honestly go back in a flash!!

If anyone wants more info, dont hestitate to send me an email.

7 Thank JerseyGirl-uk
Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2009

My Partner and I have been together for over 3 years and wanted our 1st "abroad" holiday together to be something very special and leave us with amayzing memories for years to come. After a lot of reseach into hotels all around the world, we booked the Tangjun Rhu Resort in Langkawi, Malaysia and could not have been more delighted. From the moment we settled into our room at the resort we felt as if we'd arrived at Heaven on Earth (a corney metaphor - but really was like that!)
We stayed in a Damai room which was just beautiful and had 10 glorious days and nights at this incredible place.
All the staff were super polite and so friendly, nothing was ever too much for them.
The hotel itself is in a magnificent location overlooking stunning rock formations in the sea which is always so inviting to have a swim in. But if that wasn't enough, it has 3 pools to cool you down after laying in the soothing sun for a few hours! One pool has recently become "adults only", which I think is a VERY good idea. Don't get me wrong, kids are great, but I think that it's nice to have an area where you can get away from the inevitable noise of children if you want. All 3 pools are fantastic so even if kids can only use 2 of them they are still brilliant pools!
As for the food, that too was very well recieved by me & my partner. There is something very satisfying indeed about having a lazy day by the sea in the sunshine, followed by a tremendous 6 course meal at the Rhu Restaurant (Gordon Ramsey eat your heart out!) We only dinned at The Saffron once, favouring the warmth (both in temperature and in character of the staff) of the Sands Restaurant. We booked the Rhu Restaurant on 3 nights and enjoyed every mouthful! Rhu Restaurant FYI is the "luxury" restaurant which you need to book up to 5 hours in advance if you want a table. Believe me - you DO!!! ALL the food was awesome. The ONLY niggle I have is you may struggle slightly if you are a vegetarian (although I'm sure they would go out of their way to alter the dishes slightly if need be) I do not eat meat but do eat fish and so had a great amount of choice.
We enjoyed 2 days away from the pools & beach. 1) Mangrove Adventure - guided by the brilliant Zoher (he was so interesting and knew everything you could want to know about the flora & fawna of the sourounding area). We even got to see a very rare monkey that according to Zoher was really something incredible and very unheard of (we saw heaps of other monkeys too but this one type was incredibly shy and VERY rare to spot usually - Luckily for me me boyfriend eagle eyed the lovely animal before even Zoher himself! Needless to say we took pleantly of pics of the little one!) We also visited a fish farm (I REALLY hope that was not in any way cruel though as the farm fish pools seemed on the small side to me). The Eagle & Kyte spotting was great too. Magnificent birds!
2) Car Rental - We rented a hotel branded bright green Peugeot convertible and had fun driving round the island - which only took about 4 hours in total (including stopping off at various points of interest). The Cable Car and Waterfulls were terrific.
My partner also treated me to 5 spa treatments while out there - all were ridiculously relaxing - especially the Balise massage & hot stone therapy.
We had an INCREDIBLE 10 days at the Tangjun Rhu Resort. We are back now and thankfully have our two cute cats to help with our jet lag! Any chance of dropping off to sleep after the 22 hour (ish) door to door trip, they make sure to meow and wake us up! But aside from the horrid journey to get there and back, it is definitely worth it for the amayzing memories you'll create and keep forever. My partner & I really couldn't have wished for a more perfect 1st holiday abroad. Thank you all at Tangjun Rhu and thanks Mother Nature for all those perfect sunsets!! : )