“bad value”

Bella Vista Express Langkawi
Ranked #47 of 107 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed 13 February 2013

We booked three nights at this hotel for the weekend of the Chinese New Year and, with a room for over 300RM per night, we found it very bad value. The hotel is located along a main road, the sea is on the other side (there is no access to the sea and we knew about it) meaning that if you have a sea-view room, you also have a road-view room. We had a balcony but didn't use it because it wasn't very clean and we prefered to keep it closed, especially to prevent our baby from crawling on it. The room was quite big and the bed was comfortable but again, some areas were not clean. The breakfast was OK but it's better to like it Malaysian way (nasi lemak for example), if you don't- you're left with toasts, "Planta" and some very poor quality jam.
The hall and the entire hotel looks like if it was built and then abandoned and rarely cleaned since. The pool seems small but we didn't try it. On the positive side, it's very quiet and the staff is polite. All in all, both me and my husband found it overpriced.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 January 2013

Book 2 nights at this hotel and my review as follows:

1) Location:
Approximately 5 minutes drive from the airport - nearby Sheraton Four Points Resort. The hotel is located along the main road, so it is pretty easy to locate. Not bad if you are not looking for a direct beach front resort & just need a budget place to stay. Most importantly, you need to have a car/transport if you stay at this hotel as there are limited shops/restaurant within walking distance from the hotel.

2) Reception/Check In & out:
It was fast and good. Friendly reception.

3) Deluxe Room:
The rooms were of reasonable size, quite clean, aircond working ok, good shower, new lcd tv and a balcony overlooking the beach (as we were given higher floor rooms). Not bad.

4) Buffet Breakfast:
This was included in our room booking, however, the buffet was "Absolutely horrible". The buffet line looking ok for 2-3 star hotel but almost everything offered were tasteless/not edible. Fried noodles and rice tasted very weird, very smokey smell for 2 days consecutively. Eggs were not fresh. Only thing edible should be the toast and cornflakes. A big let down to the hotel (if not it could be a good 2-3 star hotel in Langkawi).

5) Parking:
Always available and spacious. Very good.

6) Wifi:
Ok strenght at the lobby. Poor signal in the room.

Overall: If you are just looking a for a place to stay/budget - this could be one of the good budget hotel to choose. However, if you are looking for a beach front cheap hotel/resort, this should not be your choice - as there is no proper swimming beach near the hotel.

Room Tip: Get higher floor rooms
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 January 2013 via mobile

Well located if you want a little bit of quiet and to stay away from the big crowd. It's just few minutes of motorcycle away from Pantai Chenang and Pantai Kok. Some good restaurants are in the area without going necessarily to Chenang. Room was clean and the bathroom too. Every room has a small balcony. The common areas (corridors and stairs) are not as clean as the room, we saw a tray of food laying on the floor at the top of the stairs for at least 2 days we had to say something at the reception to make them take it away. A small pool is available. Breakfast is ok but it could be better. It's worth the price you pay. The sunset in front of the hotel is probably one of the best on the island.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank RobyTn79
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Very clean,staff members are friendly,very pleasant stay,swimming pool is nice n facing to beach..breakfast provided by the hotel is also nice.. decent amenities available..recommended to stay.. enjoy the stay..quite far from water world in langkawi n eagle square..but if u want peaceful n pleasant stay then surely go for this..

Room Tip: Rooms on the beach side are more pleasant..
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2012

Although I had a valid booking by bookings.com for this hotel they did not have a room for me. Apparently they overbooked a few rooms (5 rooms to be exact). I am in the hotel industry myself and know this can happen. The odd thing is that I called the same day to confirm on my late arrival and my room was confirmed. When I got to the hotel they could not even find my reservation anymore. So what happened in that few hours with my booking?? The BAD thing was how this was handled. First, the receptionist started to lie to us which the reason was for not having my room (a water pipe broke...yeah right!!). When I confronted him that I am sure this was a lie (broken water pipe is a common way to excuse an overbooking in many hotels) he got all nervous, denying it. Second, they could not find another suitable hotel for us to stay. They ended putting us in probably to worst hotel of the island. Lying again telling me its a good hotel. When I then called the Bella Vista from the other hotel, they promised to call me back with another solution (which of course they never did) and to have the manager call me the other day with an explanation (which of course he never did).
This is just a HORRIBLY managed hotel. I do not even blame it on the INCOMPETENCE of the front desk, as they told me that the management did not give any guidance on what to do in this case besides getting rid of the guests. If you book here (especially in peak season or weekends) you run the risk of having to sleep under a bridge.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank hsmia81
Reviewed 17 December 2012

At this price that you pay, you can expect no surprise although there are decent amenities available.

One thing that's good about this hotel is that its really near the airport, roughly 5 minutes drive. However, newbies in Langkawi are opt to make a big round trip in locating it for the first time, merely because of its misleading address which the google maps kinda fool you.

Breakfast, decent.
Pool, 1feet height.
Service, 4 out of 10.
Cleanliness, 6 out of 10.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jasonaks
Reviewed 10 December 2012

this is my experience at last years....i went to langkawi at last year april with my gf..this hotel is quiet far for airport( if u r taking flight to langkawi, but near ferry terminal...) average, this hotel is not give what i want, is not a high season, but my room which book 1/2 year ago, still cannot check in when we are arrived at 2pm, then the reception inform us that we can check in after half and hour, but when we went back after have a walk at town area, we back to hotel at 3pm, then the room still not ready, and finally, we get the chance to rest at our room when 4.3o pm!!!! a room book so long ago, and still need to wait 2 hours for check in because of the room not ready, and we book for king side , the hotel serve us double bed.....but something i have to said , the worst service only from front office staff, others department serve us very good especially F&B......i wont recommend this hotel to all of my friend who visit at langkawi

Room Tip: room at next of the reception building
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple