“Good & clean rooms but average services”

Alia Residence Business Resort
Ranked #77 of 103 Hotels in Langkawi
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Good & clean rooms but average services”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I called to enquiry more about the hotel after seeing it available on their website for my check-in date. The receptionist/reservationist simply informed me it was no longer available. After informing him that their website shows its still available, he simply panicked, asked for my no. and told me he'd call back. Never heard from him again.

I then proceeded to make my booking on their website and called them again to confirm it since they do not require any deposit. The lady didn't bother to let me finish my sentence and was very impatient. I kept telling her that I already made a booking, and there she was, keep asking me when is my desired check-in date and what type of room I wanted. After struggling for 15mins she finally got me and confirmed my booking.

A day before checking-in, having the awful experience with the reception 2 times before, I called them again to make sure that my check-in was going to be smooth. The guy who answered the call this time was very polite and friendly. I told him I had requested a double bed with pool facing room in my booking, and he assured me my requests will be met with.

After checking-in, I realized that the room they gave me was directly facing their reception area. I went to the reception and confronted them on this and one of the male receptionist got irritated and told me blankly in the face the the room I have gotten IS pool view when all I could see was the reception area. After arguing with them, they finally checked me in a room with pool view, without difficulty. I don't understand why couldn't they have done it in the first place and save all the hassle, especially since I already mentioned in my booking, not mentioning that I also called. Not all of the receptionists are this rude though, the lady and the afternoon shift staffs are more polite, understanding and friendly.

The room was spacious, very new and clean. I like the room and especially enjoy my time in their pool. Since the hotel is located secludedly from everything, we decided to try out their restaurant. The food was simply awful and so is their breakfast, as mentioned in the reviews.

I'd suggest that those who choose to stay here to go for car/bike rentals to ease on the taxi fares, and the only place it is near to is the airport, which is around 10 mins by car.

The hardware of this hotel is very nice (rooms and pool) but their receptionists and the food needs a lot of improvement.

Room Tip: higher floor are less noisy
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sunseanfood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Helsingborg, Sweden
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We had a total of 6 nights here. 4 first nights were good. When we left the hotel for Thailand we booked another 2 nights when we came back for a set price. They tried to scam us charging 100 ringit extra for Christmas eve even though we had booked the same room for 130 ringit. They also tryed to raise the price to 160 ringit upon our arrival for our room.

Breakfast was bad. Location good due to cheap taxis. Rooms clean and okay for price. Service slow and bad. So much potential, such a shame.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ragegard

Travellers are raving about these Langkawi hotels

Tweed Heads, Australia
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Rooms are modern and spacious. We had two interconnecting rooms - the family suite - which was great travelling with two adults and two children. The shower and bathroom is terrible, water sprays everywhere and the temperature is inconsistent. Possibly the worst breakfast I've ever 'not eaten' - no selection, no eggs, not even jams for toast, no pastries or fruit, no juice all terrible sugary cordials. What was there looked like the dogs leftovers, food that was supposed to be hot was stone cold including the disgusting cold stewed tea. Luckily we only stayed one night, I couldn't have coped with that 'breakfast' for any longer stay. A cheaper place to stay in Langkawi and very much just somewhere to sleep. They have a lot of work to do to earn the respect of international guests. Service isn't good and I think the main problem is a lack of English speaking staff.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank AGL2309
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

This isn't a bad hotel. Being fairly new it is clean and everything in the room is in good working order. However things to be aware of are the fact that the walls and doors are extremely thin to the point where you hear everything that is going on outside your room. From the screaming kids who swim in the pool early morning and late at night, to the angry drunks coming back late after a night of duty free booze.
The single worst thing though has to be the breakfast. The 4 breakfasts served when I was there were identical. Sliced white bread, red jam, coconut jam, vegetable margarine, plain congee, rice, chicken, greasy fried noodles, scrambled eggs out of a box, petrified frankfurters, cold baked beans, 5 slices of processed cheese (first come first served) and that was it.
Not forgetting apathetic staff who also splash around the pool at night along with the guests.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Carcharodon
Reviewed 30 September 2013

There should be 2 reasons why you are considering this place; you're on a budget and/or a lot of other places around the beach area are occupied.

At the time of writing, the place was fairly new, about only half a year old. Naturally a lot of its amenities are clean and new. There is technically a beach, but not one that you can utilize as it is a mangrove beach filled with mud. It's maintained mildly well. Young places also come with a set of amateur attendants, slow and unfortunately even forgetful at times. Despite the speed, we were treated nicely and they do provide acceptable service.

Rooms are basic but contains all of the facilities you would require. Free Wi-Fi is also provided upon check-in with good internet speed.

Breakfast is provided in a buffet style but basic menu. Good enough to hold off until lunch but nothing to shout about.

One major gripe though is it is situated far from a lot of attraction. It is about 10 minutes away from the airport and 30 minutes away from Cenang beach. You will need to rely heavily on cabs to move around or rent a car.

All in all, I got what I paid for, but would not return if I have another choice and/or not on a budget.

Room Tip: They're all pretty much the same, but inquire for the top floor since it offers more privacy; aw...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank R_Reginal
Penang
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights during a business trip. Upon arrival, we were not given the rooms we had booked (booked pool view and got garden view). The rooms were ok....quite clean. Only comment is that there was no shower stall or partition in the bathroom so water just splashed everywhere every time someone took a shower. Service is also extremely slow at this hotel, but the staff are polite and friendly enough. And there are no hair dryers in the rooms. To get a hair dryer, you have to go to the reception and "borrow" one which has a time limit of 2 hours! The location of the hotel is not too bad (if you have a rented car) - about 10 mins to Pantai Cenang.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank daphseow
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I hv stayed here for 4 days n the staff were very friendly n helpful. But the location is a bit far to all the attractions area. To pantai cenang and kuah also quite far. And nearby area didn't hv much things to do. Better if u wanna stay here rent a car to drive all around d island.

• Stayed September 2013