“Awful breakfast with stray cat stalking you during your stay !”

Alia Residence Business Resort
Ranked #80 of 104 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Arrived to a standard room, so small could not fit two standard sized suitcases in . Bathrooms stink. Spoke to receptionist, saw another room same issues so upgraded to a superior room, at an additional cost - same smell in bathroom but at least we can move in the space!

Breakfast was basic, we've stayed in 4 hotels at a similar price in our travels across Malaysia but this was by far the worst, as mentioned by others items not replenished at the buffet once finished, cheese was off, once pointed out replaced, stray cat was walking around whilst we ate, it tried to jump onto another guests lap whilst he ate!!

Only redeeming feature is the great wifi

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank BuddyGlasgow
There are newer reviews for Alia Residence Business Resort

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Stayed there for 2 days , most of the time, we were outside most of the time we were roaming , so stayed only for nights. Hotel staff is okay, not much of a help to us. But they have swimming pool facility. Beach visible from hotel is very bad and rocky, so nearby view is not that good. Breakfast was normal , mix of English and Malay food.

1  Thank ercivilsneh
Reviewed 23 January 2014

A nice resort. We stay on 15-16 January 2014. Its 2 nights so on the 2nd day I ask by phone to make my room while we go out. Before leaving, once again I asked the front desk to make up my room. Unfortunately when we come back at the evening, surprising that our room is still at the same condition before I go out. Once again I call the front desk and asked to make my room and they said the housekeeping has going home. Very nice. But the other side, the reception are good because they try their best to give us a room that our request. Breakfast had not many choice but its ok instead of this is a small resort.

Room Tip: Upper level facing the swimming pool. Room no A130 are good but make sure u put a make my room sign...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SuperSifu
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Upon arrival, the hotel looks very promising. Easy drive to the Airport with a big sign that you could not miss. Parking attendant was friendly and attentive. Pool looked amazing at night and is possibly the highlight of the establishment. Everything was nice and new until you start using them.

One bedroom door could not open properly as the air-con unit was built in an uncalculated space.

Bathroom toilet could not function. Taps were leaking badly and the water heater was extremely noisy when operated.

Some of the frontdesk staff were not too friendly when asked for local recommendations.

One morning, dining hall staff were chatting among themselves at the counter and unattentive as they left ALL their breakfast food cold until we returned a tableful of cold noodles, porridge and coffee to them. And even after that, they did not do their rounds to make sure the food and condiments did not run out again. We had to ask for everything that was supposed to be there.

It could have been so much better.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TTMH
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I called to enquiry more about the hotel after seeing it available on their website for my check-in date. The receptionist/reservationist simply informed me it was no longer available. After informing him that their website shows its still available, he simply panicked, asked for my no. and told me he'd call back. Never heard from him again.

I then proceeded to make my booking on their website and called them again to confirm it since they do not require any deposit. The lady didn't bother to let me finish my sentence and was very impatient. I kept telling her that I already made a booking, and there she was, keep asking me when is my desired check-in date and what type of room I wanted. After struggling for 15mins she finally got me and confirmed my booking.

A day before checking-in, having the awful experience with the reception 2 times before, I called them again to make sure that my check-in was going to be smooth. The guy who answered the call this time was very polite and friendly. I told him I had requested a double bed with pool facing room in my booking, and he assured me my requests will be met with.

After checking-in, I realized that the room they gave me was directly facing their reception area. I went to the reception and confronted them on this and one of the male receptionist got irritated and told me blankly in the face the the room I have gotten IS pool view when all I could see was the reception area. After arguing with them, they finally checked me in a room with pool view, without difficulty. I don't understand why couldn't they have done it in the first place and save all the hassle, especially since I already mentioned in my booking, not mentioning that I also called. Not all of the receptionists are this rude though, the lady and the afternoon shift staffs are more polite, understanding and friendly.

The room was spacious, very new and clean. I like the room and especially enjoy my time in their pool. Since the hotel is located secludedly from everything, we decided to try out their restaurant. The food was simply awful and so is their breakfast, as mentioned in the reviews.

I'd suggest that those who choose to stay here to go for car/bike rentals to ease on the taxi fares, and the only place it is near to is the airport, which is around 10 mins by car.

The hardware of this hotel is very nice (rooms and pool) but their receptionists and the food needs a lot of improvement.

Room Tip: higher floor are less noisy
1  Thank sunseanfood
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We had a total of 6 nights here. 4 first nights were good. When we left the hotel for Thailand we booked another 2 nights when we came back for a set price. They tried to scam us charging 100 ringit extra for Christmas eve even though we had booked the same room for 130 ringit. They also tryed to raise the price to 160 ringit upon our arrival for our room.

Breakfast was bad. Location good due to cheap taxis. Rooms clean and okay for price. Service slow and bad. So much potential, such a shame.

1  Thank Ragegard
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Rooms are modern and spacious. We had two interconnecting rooms - the family suite - which was great travelling with two adults and two children. The shower and bathroom is terrible, water sprays everywhere and the temperature is inconsistent. Possibly the worst breakfast I've ever 'not eaten' - no selection, no eggs, not even jams for toast, no pastries or fruit, no juice all terrible sugary cordials. What was there looked like the dogs leftovers, food that was supposed to be hot was stone cold including the disgusting cold stewed tea. Luckily we only stayed one night, I couldn't have coped with that 'breakfast' for any longer stay. A cheaper place to stay in Langkawi and very much just somewhere to sleep. They have a lot of work to do to earn the respect of international guests. Service isn't good and I think the main problem is a lack of English speaking staff.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family