“Not the greatest” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Happy Hut Langkawi

Happy Hut Langkawi
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Langkawi
Happy Hut Langkawi
Ranked #79 of 128 Speciality Lodging in Langkawi
London
“Not the greatest”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

I really wanted to like this place, but it just didn't work for us. The owner, Zee, was really lovely but unfortunately the guesthouse was a disappointment. We stayed in room A, which has no windows and - like all the rooms in the guesthouse - is constructed from paper thin walls. There are two bathrooms in this guesthouse and they have the typical Asian arrangement of the shower over the toilet. Ordinarily there are a pair of flip-flops outside these bathrooms so that people can use the toilet without getting their feet wet if someone has been in the shower beforehand; unfortunately these were not provided and it made going to the bathroom quit unpleasant. In addition, the sink outside of the bathroom was not very clean - it still had the toothpaste marks where people had cleaned their teeth and some hair that stayed there for the 3 nights that we were there. You can use the kitchen, but it's also not very clean in places (the draining board in particular was a bit dodgy looking).

Having said all of that there were some good points about the guesthouse: the bed was comfy and the linens were clean. There was also somewhere to lock your stuff, hooks and towel rails as well as

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Beckie K

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Berlin, Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed there three nights and have nothing to complain. Good location, cheap, clean, aircon, common area to chill out, lovely owner.
Really close to beach and shops and food. So all you really need.
Just hope she changed the locks on the lockers ;)

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

A truly great backpackers dorm. Zee, the owner is very helpful and the place has amazing ambience to meet other travelers. Cozy and friendly place. Highly recommended. Make sure you book in advance as this place gets filled fast .

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Being my first visit to a hostel in my lifetime, I was bit afraid how my stay would be.
But as soon as I checked into this place, I already got a hint that my stay is gonna be awesome.
I really loved this place.
The owner of this place(Zei) is just a great host.
She will give you all information about the places and also related to any party etc.

I checked in here at 11 PM at night with a plan that I would only be having a long Nap this night, but in next hour I was invited to a party by the owner of this place.
That is the unique thing about the place. The owner will be acting with you as a friend rather than a hostel owner.

I stayed for 5 nights and it was really a great stay.
We are allowed to use the kitchen and even Zei told me that I can use the coffee and tea bags too in the kitchen.

The internet may be slow, but it does not matter when you are on holiday for relaxation. I had 3G pack in my cellphone, so it did not mattered for me.

Even on the morning when I checked out from here, I came back at almost 4 PM to take my luggage(though the chekout time was 10 AM), and I was welcomed by the owned.
I was allowed to use all facilities and take shower, as if I am current guest of the hostel and have not checked out till now.

I would highly recommend this place for your stay.
Believe me, you cannot find as comfortable and as budget place in Langkawi, right on the beach.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Winchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Like other reviews have said the wifi is an issue with this place and we had to twice use Starbucks to plan our next leg of our journey. It would be a certain 5 if this issue is resolved.

However, the location is perfect, quiet, yet right in the thick of everything. Tengah beach is one minutes walk away but we found it a bit unclean. Cenang beach is lovely and is a 5 minute walk away down past Underwater World. The sunset is amazing in the evenings too.

The rooms are basic but at 75RM per night for a private double with air con shared bathroom you can't go wrong. There are towels provided and lockers for valuables and we felt extremely safe here.

Finally, if you stay here prepare to receive some of the best customer service ever. Check in is prompt, she doesn't miss anything, she let us use her fridge and her phone to call ktmb to arrange an overnight train. Couldn't have asked for any more. We had a tiny leak when it chucked it down with rain, so she got us a bucket and got up on the roof in the pouring rain to fix it.

Would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone, budget or not.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

I know the internet isn't everything when you're away and it's nice to escape it but it's helpful when trying to plan your adventure. Anyway, that is the only bad thing I can say about the place.

The woman who owns it is amazing and one of the best things is you can check in at 12pm. We had stayed somewhere else the night before and it was great to check out of there and straight into here. We were only here 1 night but could have happily stayed longer.

There were 3 of us and we had booked separately but as we asked on our booking sheet she had already put us in the same room. We got given towels, lockers for storing your valuables and the bed was pretty comfy.

Overall a lovely stay and would recommend this place to anyone heading to Langkawi!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Newport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

We arrived on langkawi sea-sick, hot and bothered. After trawling through over-priced and rude hotels we stumbled apron this humble place. The lady who greeted us told us she had a room but the current guests weren't leaving until 4. So we left our bags at the guesthouse and wandered around before returning just gone 4. The room had just been vacated but the owner (Zie) quickly remade the room and checked us in. Amazing service.

For 75rm a night we had a private double room with air con and a shared bathroom. The room was basic but was in the ideal location for the beach (1min walk) or for the town (5min walk) . There were also four bed dorms in the house too. There are not many rooms, so the shared bathroom was never a problem.

The only negative feedback would be about the smells. Guests were allowed smoke at the front of the guesthouse. This meant cigarettes could be smelt throughout. Also, there was no extractor or window in the bathroom so there always seemed to be an eggy smell. These things didn't spoil our stay but they didn't go un-noticed either.

I'd recommend this place to those on a budget who want to be close to the beach

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple