“Better hurry”

Pulau Payar Marine Park Snorkeling Tour from Langkawi
US$143.99*
Pulau Payar Marine Park Snorkeling Tour from Penang
Reviewed 11 August 2014

there are a couple of day trips to Pulau Payar ranging in price. We paid for the cheaper of the 2 options at 180 MR each. We were told to be ready at 8am sharp to be picked up. The bus arrived at 8am and since one couple were still having breakfast the bus waited until 820 for them to finish. We then had the hour and 15 minute trip to pick everyone else up from their hotels and then head to the jetty. Approx 945 we arrived at the jetty and waited for another 15 minutes for tour organisers to sort out who was on what boat. At 10am we where taken to our boats and boarded where we waited another 20 minutes until we left. At 12 middy we arrived ready to snorkel. (The program said we would be at the island by 1030am)
The snorkelling was ok, there was more marine life than I expected but there was a large patch of dead coral. The staff from the tour did not respect the marine life flicking cigarette butts into the water, nor did they seem to care what others did to the marine life. There were signs that stated do not feed the marine life but as people do they throw what ever they can into the water to see the schools of fish swim to feed on it. I was disgusted at one older lady from another culture who threw her pink dirty tissue into the water to see the fish swim after it thinking it was food. Her reaction was to laugh it off. Other patrons left their mess on the picnic tables including plastic bottles and cups which would eventually end up in the water.
By 230pm the boat was due to leave but since some people do not listen to the guides we didn't leave until 3pm then the hour and a half journey back to the jetty in the boat again was another display of humans at their worst - dropping rubbish for others to pick up including dirty nappies. Once arrived back at the jetty we all hop on our buses to go home only the bus for our hotel was not there yet. Finally it arrived and we were dropped off first by 6pm - which was stated at 4pm.
Food was pre packed by the company - it was ok. Smart easy and quick idea for the staff to look after. The bathroom smelt and the water from them looked like it ran right into where you enter the water to swim.
Overall the 2.5 hours of snorkelling was good but the 7.5hours waiting and travelling time was a joke. From the way some people treat the reef it won't be around much longer. Rather disappointing and long day trip.

3  Thank Carly S
There are newer reviews for Pulau Payar Marine Park

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I've heard a lot about this place but have never taken time to just spend a day doing snorkeling here. I snorkeled at Pulau Tioman 20 yrs ago and it was beautiful there, compared to here. I have to admit that there wasn't much coral to see and shout about. And that makes the price of the trip somewhat pricey. Having said that, swimming and enjoying the serenity amongst the fishes is still a great great time to do, it is peaceful underwater.
The highlight for me was to see the enjoyment on my children's faces as it was the first time for them of all sorts, venturing so far out in the sea, swimming with fishes all over them, snorkeling, having fun with their cousins.
The buffet lunch was pretty enjoyable considering all things, don't expect too much as it has to be prepared on the platform.
Swimming with the sharks is an interesting experience for all of us, especially the part of being attacked by 'a' type of fish that didn't like me near it... every time I put my foot down I got bitten by this fish and it was painful. And I wasn't the only one to be bitten mind you... I couldn't figure out which fish it was though....

According to the tour guide, Pulau Payar's coral and fish diversity has suffered due to the lack of enforcement by the authorities to keep the place off limits from fishermen after all the tourist has gone. That and also tourist who don't know how to use the trash bins.
That is a sad reality of Malaysian Authorities unfortunately.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

The most important point : Go here only if you have planned for Scuba or Snorkelling . One of my friend visited here for Scuba diving . It costed him around 500 RM (350 RM for 1 DIVE + 150 RM for the pictures/Videos) . There are better places for Scuba diving in the world like Thailand etc , So go here only if you are interested in diving .

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Totally over priced. Fifty minute fast ferry to and from Payar Island from Langkawi. The ferry to the island had windows so dirty and with paint on them that seeing anything outside was near impossible. The return ferry windows were much better.
As for the coral, I've seen much better on other snorkling trips. There is very little color in the coral. Mostly just a bland grey. It's a marine park and the fish are protected so the fish have little or no fear of the swimmers. This was the highlight for me. Some smaller fish even nibbled on my hands. I assume someone had fed them in the past. There were even small reef sharks. The fish were amazing.
The area is totally overcrowed. Far too many people in such a small area. Don't believe the pristine pictures in their ad as there is garbage everywhere in the water. Some tourist just don't know what a garbage bin is used for. Very sad to see so much garbage in the water.
Overall the day was just ok. If you want to see beautiful colorful coral in Asia then go to Nha Trang in Vietnam. Much better and a lot cheaper.

1  Thank Murray O
Reviewed 29 July 2014

If crystal clear waters and pristine beaches are your thing, don't bother going on one of the snorkelling trips offered by the tour operators. Water is murky from thousands of tourists who have no interest in nature doing who knows what in the water. Beaches littered with plastic bottles, discarded fishing lines and other debris. It is clear that the custodians of the marine parks and the tour operators are only interested in getting high volumes and not in preserving their natural heritage.

3  Thank Daryl B