“Very dissapointing”

Aseania Resort & Spa Langkawi Island
Ranked #45 of 105 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed 24 March 2009

Stayed 3 nights from 27/2/09. Reluctantly accepted second room offerd to us. Even this was with patio door hanging on some screws, shower hanging from wall, curtains hanging from hooks ,crayon marks on walls, railings on balcony rusted through and egg shells between wardrobe and the wall. Yes. To crown our stay my rucksack was stolen off my chair in the breakfast room. Camera, binoculars etc. On reflection I am Convinced that a member of staff was involved. There are plenty of other places to stay in this area at a fraction of the prices the Aseania offer. There are ample eating places near this hotel and elswhere in the area.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wilandmeg

Reviewed 27 February 2009

This hotel is not a 5 star hotel, it isn't even a 4 star hotel! If you are looking for, expecting or wanting a 4 or 5 star hotel, then don't stay at the Aseania. The staff, however, is wonderful and the rooms are not half bad for what you pay for. We stayed for 3 nights and 4 days. I have done this trip to langkawi 6 other times and every time except for 1 I stayed at the Aseania. I have 2 children, and my brother has 3 kids, so the only thing that is mandatory for us is a good pool! The Aseania's pool may not be the fanciest in all the land, but it is certainly the most kid friendly. Our children were entertained for hours upon hours! So, if you are looking for a 4 or 5 star fancy hoity toity hotel, then this is not the place for you, but if you want a decent room, with an awesome pool, and a good friendly staff, then I recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 February 2009

i was very disappointed with Aseania Resort. The room was very unpleasant (stains on the walls, broken toilet, dirty sheets, ancient furniture, broken kettle, numerous mosquitoes, dark and depressing room). It felt like a prison cell. The staff were cold and unhelpful. The internet did not work. The breakfast was limited in both selection and quality.

The location was ok (about 15 minutes walk to the main restaurant/beach/shopping strip). The pool was decent, for those uninterested in the beach. Next time, i would book a hotel closer along the pantai cenang strip, one on the beach (there are many hotels on the beach). There are some new hotels/resorts being built along the pantai cenang strip which have yet to receive much internet publicity. Try locating some of those as they look decent. I definitely would not recommend Aseania Resort.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wingwang1984
Reviewed 28 January 2009

"Resort" rooms were more like college dorms - clean but very boring. (No mold/smell problems as others have reported.) We requested adjacent, non-smoking rooms with double beds and instead got one room with a double, one room with twins, both with ashtrays.

The service was poor; everyone passed the buck so issues were not resolved promptly, if at all. Room service leftovers were left in the hallways for days; I made three reports over 12 hours before it was cleaned.

Pool was amazing, but only had 20 or so chairs for 200(?) guests. Rude guests would put their towels on the chairs for the entire week (incl overnight) even though they only used the chairs for a few hours each day. Hotel staff did nothing upon complaint. Good luck getting chairs during a busy day.

The pool was definitely AMAZING! This resort was okay - not as bad as others reported, but I'm not sure I'd stay again (unless I had kids since the pool is so great.)

Very close to the beach.

Visit the Lighthouse restaurant down the street for good food. We also went to the Frangipani (?) hotel restaurant which was nice. The hotel looked nice too but I'm not sure how the pricing compares to Aseania.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank KoaKismet
Reviewed 26 January 2009

Arrived at the Aseania, hotel looked OK from the outside. Foyer ceiling was mouldy with peeling paint. I thought how easily fixed this would be and how it detracted from this areas appeal. As aware from other reviews there are no lifts. We were placed in a block way back in the hotel down many corridors and had to help bellcaptain carry 4 heavy suitcases up two flights of narrow stairs. We had book two deluxe rooms and paid more for this. The first thing we noticed is the door which was painted brown had a lot of its paint chipping/flaking off not very attractive and again could be easily remedied. Most of the doors were like this. We entered the rooms only to be shocked how plain and basic and dilapidated the rooms were. Two large beds in each room, no beadspread just and ugly very thin blankets covered them. It looked rather like a very old run down hospital ward in a 3rd world country. There was a small TV (only 3 channels, 2 in Malaysian) on a small boxy cabinet and the beds were very old. What bothered me was you could see the mattress through the very thin sheet as it had no mattress protector. One of my daughters bed only had half a sheet exposing the bottom end of the mattress (not very hygienic) and quite disgracful. This hotel was rated at 3 star I would give it only half a star. Considering this was deluxe! What had I paid for. The walls were dirty and plain, not a picture on the wall. The electrical wiring looked dangerous and was exposed. One of our beds had swarms of ants (not a few) running over the pillow. We didn't sleep in this bed. The bathroom - the toilet had a black ring and hairs in the bowl. (I thought maybe from other reviews it was water staining). The sink appears like some ones photos on this site. Thick silicone and black mould, shower had mould in the tiles. There was hot water though when we ventured to have a shower. The windows in the shower had no flyscreens and were unable to be fully closed allowing mosquitos in. (we bought flyspray to remedy this). The view from our balcony was a small road not a pool view or tropical garden. The breakfast as previously stated is basic and you sometimes have to set your own table up with cuttlery and clear other peoples plates away as your seating yourself. Coffee was undrinkable. One type of fruit, some cereal, toast, odd tasting beans, can get eggs but a long wait, some odd dishes which didn't look very appealing. The pool which is the main feature - the lazy river and wave pool were out of bounds to my teenage daughters because the water was green and the sides of the pool were black. It was a lot cleaner in the main pool but if you climb up to the slides there is a lot of algae which does wash into the main pool. Not many sunbeds and they are quite spread out.
The fortunate thing was after reading tripadvisor's recent reviews of the Aseania I cancelled 4 of the 6 nights booked. I had 4 glorious nights at the Holiday Villa slightly more but worth it, Holiday Villa is also 3 star but it is so much better than the Aseania and also well located. The web pictures of the rooms at the Aseania and not what you get when you book in. Only stay there if you don't mind roughing it and hygiene isn't your priority. May I also say the housekeeping was really bad they didn't change our two thin towels which were dirty from the floor of the bathroom but threw them over the shower rail. Now I know what the other travellers who stayed there mean. Take our word for it, it is the worst hotel. The first night was our 20th Wedding Anniversary, we stayed out of the hotel as much as possible.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
6  Thank andy1doug
Reviewed 11 January 2009

We are here now, as we speak at the Aseania. Pretty much everything they reviews say is true. We ended up here because we are on a one year world tour, arrived in Langkawi Malaysia, and the place we first stayed at (beautiful Sunset Beach Resort) was too full to extend our stay, and otherwise wouldn't have considered moving to this place.

Once here, my kids liked having a pool (which does seem pretty decently maintained unlike anything else). We are, as mentioned on a 12 month tour, so costs kept us here. It is cheap.
Bought bug killer and haven't seen any bugs, outside of many ants in my bathroom. In fact our room isn't too too bad, we looked at 4 rooms before picking the best of the worst,
but as soon as we step out of the door ....YUK!. the halls are disgusting.

You could be fooled when you arrive (IF you dare) and see the pool and lobby and think..."Hmmmm, not bad", but just wait and see your room. Do not under any circumstances take a ground floor room. They are dingey and dark . We thought they were taking us to a morgue (speaking of the first rooms we saw).

Heard of burglary as a problem too, but hasn't been an issue for us yet.

Despite Lonely Planet saying "good restaurant", it is awful as well. My kids were served a couple rancid hamburgers,... not only were they not cooked, the meat was definitely bad. Breakfast is "free" and I still won't eat anything outside toast here. How you can screw up scrambled eggs is beyond me. (And I am not picky, and have stayed in many 2** hotels and hostels on our journey, without complaint.)

If you LITERALLY just want to lay by a pool with no frills (ie. maybe a lounger, if one is available, and dirty towels for hire,) then this could be your place.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Teamspiers
Reviewed 12 December 2008

Great view from outside. First empression of hotel from the hotel board, exterior, lobby & front desk made a very good impression about the hotel. After we checked in, we were given room on 3 rd floor. Bell boy carried our luggage till staircases. We were shocked to know that hotel had no lift & bell boy asked us to carry luggage all the way up there. When we forced him to carry it up, he managed to hold one more bell boy & brought the luggage.

The room (double delux) was nicely painted. A/C was working properly. Room had a small terrace with nice hotel view with swimming pool. It has a biggest swimming pool in entire malaysia. It has a wave pool also. Water slides at pool are a nice. The hotel is very near to beach, but far away from city & airport. Nice to see new & clean bedsheets, pillow covers & blankets. Lobby is very decorative & makes good impression about hotel.

What I don't like about hotel is no pressure in taps. Warm water (not hot) was available to bath. The TV is room is very small, with bad signal & very less english channels. Many malai channels were shown. Worst part is TV had no remote. Breakfast is also average.

Overall, I do suggest this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple