“Beautiful (but alcohol free)”

Ombak Villa Langkawi
Ranked #28 of 104 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My husband, sister and I stayed for 2 nights. Check in took a very long time so the welcome drink was necessary to keep us occupied. Much to our disappointment, the drink was non-alcoholic. We were taken to our rooms by buggy as the resort is quite large and spacious. The rooms were beautiful and clean and, thankfully, they had electric mosquito repellent.
There was a beautiful outdoor bar overlooking the ocean. At first we were surprised that there were no patrons, until we realised that they did not sell alcoholic drinks. We were told to go for a very short walk next door to Langkawi Lagoon Resort to find a bar that served alcohol. There was a small, comfortable bar that served cocktails at very reasonable prices.
The pool was beautiful. We were also able to use the pool next door at Langkawi Lagoon Resort - but this pool was more suitable for children. The pool bars also do not serve alcohol. So we stocked up on premixed drinks and spirits from a supermarket at extremely cheap prices.
The food was great. I particularly enjoyed the Buffet BBQ they had of an evening.
Overall the hotel was very quiet as many of the rooms were unoccupied. I would happily stay here again and recommend others to stay (but avoid if all you want to do is drink by the pool).

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Mischip
There are newer reviews for Ombak Villa Langkawi

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed here for 4 days and enjoyed our relaxing time so much. The hotel was in very low occupancy when we were there (around 30%) which was surprising because other similar hotels in Cenang Beach and Tengah Beach were mostly full. We thought there must be something wrong with this one. So we went there first, checked the property before considering to book. We thought it was beautiful. We ended up getting the hotel from this secret deal in a website and paid so much less than the publish rate. I think those people who flocked hotels in Cenang Beach were missing out a really nice hotel just because the location was bad (between the airport and Kok Beach, basically in the middle of nowhere). Yes, it had a few downsides, but they were all manageable while the upsides were soooo much more valuable that we think Ombak Villa was a really great experience for us.

The place was beautiful and almost brand new, because the staff told us it was launched on October 2013. What they call villa is actually 3-storey buildings with adjacent rooms, you don't really get your own individual villa, but it was OK because the room was spacious, really well insulated to guarantee your privacy, and had private access. I specially enjoy the big bathroom with huge bath tub. The amenities were complete and beautiful. I like the lay out and the seating area inside and outside (patio). The mattress was fine but they could have added extra pillows to make it perfect.

Internet was provided throughout the area and their connection was decent (unlike our previous hotel), the infinity pool was beautiful and the sun beds were comfy. The staff were super nice and they even called us by name. I don't know if they would remember names if they have full occupancy, but this is a really nice gesture. Eating in this hotel was always a feast. Breakfast every morning was delicious and varied, one of the bests I have ever tasted. Their beautiful cafe overlooking the ocean was also a joy to go to. I don't normally like hamburger, but the hamburger I tasted there was the best I have ever eaten and so I ate it twice. It's delicious, huge, and mouth-watering. I think everything we ate in Ombak Villa was delicious and in huge servings, really worth the money spent.

The thing with Ombak Villa is, the location is unappealing. Far from the hustle bustle Cenang Beach, and you can't go outside to find food on your own because there is no eateries, shops or spas around it. But it's not a problem because food at the hotel, as I told you, is great. The hotel provide spa and there was a gift shop at the sister hotel. You could also do your shopping by taxi or driving to Cenang nearby.

You might read other reviews said there is no beach in this property, well...there is a beach and it's a nice one even though it's a bit small. You can swim or walk by the beach, just beware of jelly fish, like in any other hotels with private beaches. They are adjacent to a fishermen village as well, and you could have the hotel arrange fishing trip for you with the fishermen if you'd like. At least that's what's written in a sign board there we didn't try because people advised us the time was not good for fishing when we were there. This hotel is also alcohol free, so you could stock up on your own liquors like us. Just take a taxi or drive to the duty free shops nearby and get your stock of wine, etc, it's not a big deal. OR...you could also walk 200 metres to it's sister hotel, Langkawi Lagoon. They have a really nice lounge with great snacks and awesome cocktails. All with reasonable prices.

Overall, it was a great experience and I would love to stay here again or recommend people to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the first floor. You don't wanna climb stairs, do you?
2  Thank Vina A
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

We booked 3days 2 nights in this resort. We had a few minutes check in with a welcome drink. Our room thumb up... i loved the room as they spare us a prayer mat n all that we need is in the room. Their staff are all polite say good morning, evening n night. Only 2nd night i feedback to hotel reception about wifi connection. She answer me "I will come back to you".. Till night the reception doesnt give me an answer. And their staff some do.not know speak English. Overall, we will.come back again in this hotel

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Raslin
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We loved everything about the villa. The room is big with the modern design. Suitable and comfortable for me and my family. My kids like to play in the jacuzzi while my husband enjoyed the movie. With sea view, it was very relaxing. We spent our evening by walking along the seaside,it was fascinating. We will definitely return to this villa in our next trip to langkawi.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank zulini
Reviewed 25 April 2014

1. This hotel is a Muslim Hotel, no alcohol or red meat served in the hotel. The strange part is they have not mentioned anything in any booking devices.
2. As this is a Muslim Hotel, they pray 3-4 times a day in the hotel with prayers on the microphone. (I do respect their religion)
3. The pool is nice but it is always under maintenance. I can hear the strolling sound very clearly under the water. It was just weird... you were swimming and there were men sweating working next to the pool.
4. The time of issuing our hotel room card was quite long, yet they gave us a wrong room. It took us 2.5 hours just to check into the right room.
5. We have mentioned very clearly in the booking that it is a honeymoon trip and requested for King size bed, at the end, they gave us a room with 2 beds and nothing in the room. The management said they would put a fruit basket in the room if it is for honeymoon, which it was nothing there until we made a complaint telling them it was not the room type we asked for.
6. No couch or chatting chair in the room.
7. It was 7 mins drive to the nearest beach.
8. It was 8-10 mins outdoor walk from our room to the lobby/restaurant area.
9. Our room stayed at the end of the corner, which was the main road for the Golf Kart... that means you often see people passing by outside your window....
10. The clock is not working, we tried to re-set a few times just didn't work. I guess it is a decoration.
11. (Oops more than 10) The A/C was sometimes cold, sometimes hot...

To be fair, the room size was fine and the bathroom is quite big but I definitely don't feel that I want to stay in the hotel all that much. I do not exactly feel warm with their service and definitely don't feel that it is a honeymoon trip. With the price like this, I would recommend another hotel.

Room Tip: If you are still booking this hotel, try to request 2nd floor and closer to the pool. But I don'...
8  Thank candyhui
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We booked this place through a mystery deal, where you would only know which hotel you're going to stay after paying the booking. So we got a pretty good deal.. If the full price was charged my review might be different.

The design and layout of the rooms is great, everything appears to be pretty new. There was some renovation going on in the hotel grounds on parts that seemed to be in OK condition.. It seems they really put an effort in maintenance.

The hotel is located outside of the busy areas and is part of two other hotels/resorts. As mentioned in other comments, this is an alcohol free hotel (well; they don't sell alcohol). If you fancy a beer or glass of wine just do like we did and stock up in one of the many duty free shops.. there's a refrigerator in the room to keep things cool. Or take a 2 minute walk to the sister hotel for some fresh cocktails..

Staff is very friendly and diligent, rooms are clean and spacious, pool is okay but will probably get crowded when the hotel gets full (it was around 30% when we were there), food was very good with large servings. Their gym is OK, but equipment is a bit outdated and sparse.

There is a beach, but swimming is discouraged during jellyfish season.

If I could get the same deal, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Take the rooms on the ground floor, so you don't have to climb all those stairs :)
2  Thank NLIvor
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This is quite a small hotel, about 90 rooms, lovely pool, restaurant was good, only draw back is a cab ride into the nearest town, pantie chennai. The rooms were large and very we'll furnished, and as it is a new hotel in first class condition

Room Tip: All rooms face the sea, so any room is good
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple