“Run Down ,but bearable.”

Century Helang Hotel
Ranked #47 of 105 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We are currently at the hotel and I just thought I'd share a couple of lines on trip advisor in case people were looking at this hotel.
Prior to the check in we were expecting very little knowing that we are moving into a hotel with much lower standards than our previous accommodations. Nonetheless with some construction going on at the moment, the lobby area is unrecognizable which gave us an impression of complete chaos in this hotel. It is very run down and the whole place just looks exhausted; nonetheless, the rooms are spacious and appropriate for the price that we have payed.

The bathroom was a pleasant surprise with a bathtub, shower cabin sink and a toilet, still leaving a lot of space to maneuver. Water pressure is quite good, hot water comes out instantaneously. There are a couple of darkened spots between the tiles, perhaps mould or something else, but it is bearable. And also make sure you bring your own amenities, there are soap shampoo and a sanitary bag available here.

Air conditioning does its job and keeps the room cool which is great apart from the constant noise that it makes. But we spend majority of our time out and about the town so it never bothered us during our sleep. If you are a light sleeper I wouldn't recommend staying here.

My greatest concern was the cleanliness of course and I can say that Helang's level is satisfactory, apart from the old sofa that has yellowish and grayish stains all over. We have no bugs or any sort of insects in our room which is a main concern for me and housekeeping visits us everyday.
The fact that there is no safety box in the room concerned me a bit, but supposedly there are some available at the reception.
Room Service is until 11:00pm, but the menu is only a single page long with high prices. We were thinking about ordering in, but eventually decided to go out to Red Sky on Pantai Cenang instead and it was a good decision.

At breakfast there were very few basic things available: Fried noodles with vegetables, fried rice with vegetables, chicken sausages, baked beans, plain rice porridge, 2 types of fresh fruit, basic selection of bread, egg station and more noodles. I didn't find curry or any type of sauce for the rice which was sort of disappointing.

In Helang Hotel WiFi isn't free even in public areas, therefore we had to purchase it. Its 10RM for a single device valid all the way until check-out, which I guess is okay considering the decent speed and strong signal.

We haven't gone to the pool area yet, but it looks clean and good in size. There is a metal bar separation between the adult (deeper) area of the pool and the children's (shallow) section. There is also a small jacuzzi dedicated area near by, I'm not sure if it functions or maybe bubbles are just aren't visible from our 5floor room...

Overall, this hotel definitely needs at least a brief face lift everywhere. Because, frankly, the general atmosphere is 'worn-out' everything: carpets in the hallways, elevators, furniture and walls. Helang has a great potential as it is quite spacious and very close to Panai Cenang (18RM only by taxi). I was concerned with the airport being right next door, but we can't hear anything from over here.

P.S. Reception staff is helpful and provided a swift check in. However, at breakfast there were very few serving personnel at sight and they seemed not to understand any English.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kat C

Reviewed 30 May 2012

at first, we overshoot because we can't see the hotel at night. Until we reached the next petrol station which was about 10mins away and the attendant said it was just right next to the airport. Check in was ok. Room was nice! Beautiful scenery. :)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank ClareFarelly
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Stayed here for a night before moving to the luxurious "The Datai" up in the north of the island the next morning. I've flown in late in the evening (after 10pm), therefore thinking that staying at a budget hotel would be a wiser choice than spending more than RM2000 just for the night at "The Datai".

Decided to book this hotel as it's just a few steps away from the airport terminal. At first glance, the exterior and interior of the building had a rather shabby appearance. The receptionist was really friendly and helpful with the arrangement of my choice of the room.

On my way to the room, I felt the dark narrow lift and the wide corridor were a little creepy. However as I entered the room, I was very impressed by the spacious size and the cleanness of the room. It was cozy and the bathroom was very clean so I have no complaint for the room at all.

However, breakfast buffet selection and the food quality was poor. The restaurant was crowded (probably peak season) and constantly ran out of food.

Overall, it was an average stay and I think it is the most reasonable budget hotel to stay in Langkawi.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the airport runway, other views are dull
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank stavrosting
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Stayed with a family of 12 for 3 nights. Check in was fast. The walkway carpets are stained. Disappointed when I open the first room door. Rooms looked old, furniture are old..though the toilets are clean and nice. The rooms definitely need upgrading. They are renovating the lobby, I hope the rooms comes next. The bed is terribly hard and I can feel the springs poking my body, uncomfortable 3 nights sleep. Room service is good. Changed our towels and cleaned our rooms daily. Breakfast is so so only. Did not go for seconds although I was hungry. Swimming pool and restaurant staff are nice. No activities in this hotel especially at night (after 7pm). No other place to venture for food. Far from Cenang, (taxi abt RM24 per way for 4 pax).If not, you'll have to go out for lunch, dinner and shopping everytime and spend $ on taxi. Stay here if you sleep early and do not mind eating MaryBrown fried chicken at the airport (abt 7minutes walk) or hotel restaurant (just so so food at hotel prices). Buy your tours at Cenang. It is 10 times cheaper.

Room Tip: Stay in Pantai Cenang. You can get almost everything there within reach. And it's only abt 15 mi...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank JuleSam26
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Been here end of February for almost a week.Upon arrival, there's a training staff told us not to park our cars at main entrace.But we told him to allowed us check in n we'll remove our car once we have done,saw a few cars park at that area but none of them remove their car to another areas.

Surprise with our rooms large size and a nice view of airports and mountains.Beyond,e floor was not clean enough with dust and bathrooms has a mold on e marbles/walls.After we made a complaint while we went out,the house keeping has done their job. I'm giving a complimentary to their house keeping coz they has done a good job and our rooms are clean for a whole weeks. The room was comfort as my sweet home,only a television should be upgrade.

For our breakfast,it was a lousy food for almost a weeks where we do have a same variety of foods day by day.For lunch and dinner,do not worry since there's a lot of restaurant near pdg mat sirat and cenang even pantai tengah.

I do advice to hired/rent any vehicles coz it's quite far for anyone whose stay at this hotel to get one point to another point.It's too costly if u get a taxi.I had rent a car from this person in charge at airport with a good service and friendly to us.His name is Mr. Mail "+6012-536-2742" I do not have much problems with our car since it was a new car.

So far,I'm rating as cosy,comfort and good preference for a business people.but I'm not recommended for families coz there's no beaches.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank aliatuah
Reviewed 2 April 2012

My daughter and I were driving around Malaysia on a reasonable budget. When it came to
Langkawi most hotels available were out of our budget. On arrival surprised at how big hotel was and few people were around. We had lunch in restaurant which was hot and plentiful but I had nearly finished when my daughters meal arrived, there were only two other people eating. Looked at the pool while waiting for food and it had a blank greasy film over it which I did not fancy swimming in.
We were offered the shuttle bus to the sister hotel Four Points by Sheraton, so glad we went it was paradise with the biggest infinity pool I have ever seen and a lovely sandy beach. We could book the shuttle back at either 5pm or 7pm, but both the receptionist and driver said we could call the hotel and they would come when we wanted. We called at 6pm due to a storm overhead, but see told we would have to wait until 7pm. We decided to walk, which in fact only took about 20 mins. On arrival at hotel my daughter complained to reception, which was a young lad who just smirked!
The hotel is right next door to the airport, but not near anything else so we had dinner here again. We arrived at the restaurant at 7.30pm and were looking around the buffet, that we noticed was pretty much demolished and depleted. We asked about the buffet to be told they had had a large group in and no more buffet left. I pointed out that the restaurant was open until 11pm so weren't they going to replenish the buffet. Obviously not so we went a la carte again. At least both meals came together this time although my daughter had to choose something else as they had run out of her first choice.
Luckily we were only here for 2 nights, wouldn't recommend for any longer due to location.
The staff here seemed to have a 'can't do' attitude rather than the 'can do' we had in the other four hotels we stayed in on this trip around Malaysia.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Joanne H
Reviewed 28 March 2012

First of all, we only stayed here because most of Langkawi was already booked, so not much of a choice. With its location right next to the airport and some of the review here about the need of repairs in mind, we actually expected something of a nondescript, second choice business traveller place - but actually, it is not quite as bad.

Sure, the location is about as romantic as a fistfight, but to our delight, you could not hear as much as a buzz from the airport, at least not in the room we stayed in that faced away from the airport. Yes, there's also no beach nearby, but you know that before you book, and by car there's actually a selection of nice beaches within 5 or 10 minutes drive. You should have a car on Langkawi anyway, as the only public transport around is taxis. If your interest is in exploring the island individually, the location is actually not even inconvenient, as it is fairly square in the middle of most (non-shopping) attractions, meaning reasonably short ways. We didn't bother for the hotel food, either, as it is just three minutes into Padang Matsirat village, where there's plenty of simple, but tasty local food available.

About the state of repair - yes, fair enough, some of the carpets have seen better days, and some of the joints in the bathroom weren't exactly white anymore. The interior, indeed, is old, and it is not a place for design aficionados either - indeed rather uninspired. Besides that, however, there's actually nothing seriously wrong with it, either. The room is well equipped, it is spacious, it is clean, servicing seems fine, the staff was quite friendly. The beds were comfortable as well. And, in fact, they are in the process of renovating the place, but in a very considerate manner - we didn't realize any of the ongoing works beyond some areas closed off. No major noise, no bad smells either, as reported by other commentors here. The pool was closed as well, but they provided a free shuttle to the sister hotel where the pool could be used.

We did not expect the world in the first place, and we paid, what, 35 Euros for a double room. Based on these premises, honestly, the hotel did not only meet our expectations, but actually exceeded them. Be aware that the location is, well, ugly, and that some of the equipment is past its glory days - other than that, really, it is absolutely fine.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room facing away from the airport - no aircraft noise heard whatsoever. Should be the...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple