“An airport’s oasis”

Ranked #45 of 103 Hotels in Langkawi
Nuremberg, Germany
“An airport’s oasis”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I would never book this hotel for a week of planned beach vacation, but we were cheated by a tour operator in Shanghai (do you want the name of these morons?) and they have canceled a booked resort in the last minute before the flight. And it was a high season – Chinese NY, no more possibilities for accommodation.
When I checked the location of the Helang, I was deeply disappointed, because I found that we now need to stay not in a tropical paradise like we are used to spend our vacation, but in the airport hotel. Oh, I was very angry and full of gloomy expectations.
First, we found that it is 45 sec. walking from a terminal of the airport to the reception of the hotel. Do I need to say we were driven to the place by a small bus? It took 1 minute. The hall of the hotel was large, and we found that room is also very big and… yes, unbelievable, it was quiet. An expectable roaring of the planes was not audible.
Everything was simple and comfortable. I have even spent one evening sitting in the pool bar surfing internet. Quite nice. Furthermore, we swam in the hotel’s swimming pool, and forgot for a time that we are next to airport.
How about the ocean and sand beaches? We have heard that it is a satellite resort of Heladen – Four Points by Sheraton, which is in walking (but it is not a pleasant walk, trust me) distance and have an open beach. But we have never used it.
By scooter it is 10 – 15 minutes driving to the south, on the Jalan Pantai Chenang road. There you find everything: sand beach, palms, restaurants, shops, bars, water activity… and even helicopter for rent! Frankly speaking from Heladen with the scooter you can discover whole west side of Langkawi, so, don’t have doubts, take a transport, it is useful.
Well, summary: the hotel is good. It is suitable for conferences, I’m sure it was full during aero show last year. It is good if you have a business trip. But staying there with a hope to get another paradise vacation is maybe not a best idea.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Andrey_Nara

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

Deluxe room is spacious overlooking a good scenery! Despite no bedroom slippers is provided, no safebox in our room. Friendly & helpful frontdesk staff and effecient housekeeping team. Good job! Hotel is just next ti the airport! Just love the location.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fizah A
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed in the suite room. Was clean and well kept. There are not a lot of services in this hotel, but it is near the airport and has a very spacious feel. Our room had a view of the peaks of Langkawi and was peaceful. Off season rates were very reasonable. You'll need to have a rental car in order to travel anywhere like restaurants or tourist sites. There is nothing within walking distance. Beds were comfortable.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Randy H
cape town
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

Hotel helang has its ups and downs. The rooms are huge an spacious although the passages require a bit of maintenance. The breakfast is predictable but it was nice. The staff are fantastic. Its a great place to explore langkawi from. Its close to the airport and the kids just loved the pool.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mohamedz
Houston
Reviewed 10 January 2014

This Hotel is 5 minutes walk from the Airport, I arrived Lingkawi with my Wife and two kids, although it is walking distance but we took a taxi because of the luggage, it is less than a minute drive, the check in was easy and fast, at first I was I was not impressed because I found there is no supermarkets adjacent to the hotel, the Minibar in the room is empty, I was upset but later when complained to the receptionist Nourin and the duty manager Juliana , they cooled me down and explained to me that Lingkawi is a small island and everything is in short Taxi drive, they were very professional and friendly people, I spent 3 nights in the hotel, my total experience was excellent, the kids enjoyes the swimming pool, the breakfast is fine but made for Asian visitors, I wish they expand the selection of food to other international guests , the rooms are very spacious , twin beds are large and easily accomdate two persons for each bed, ceilings are high, but the rooms amenities are less than average, no safety box in the room, free Wi Fi in all the hotel but with low speed is there, enough for normal browsing and email, A/C is fine and quiet, the only outlet available after dinner time is the Pool Side Bar which offers limited selection of Food and Drinks, I agreed with one Taxi driver to take us in two full days (6 hours) tours, we been to most of the Island Tourist Attractions, the Island is small, the Hotel location is centrally located and in easy reach to the beach, Cable car, although very close to the airport but stay was very quiet and no noise from the planes, the Hotel is built to be 4 to 5 stars but for some reasons owners decided to downgrade the services to 3 stars maybe for marketing reasons, in brief the stay was excellent, I highly recommend this hotel . it is a great value for the money. thanks again the friendly receptionist Nourin and the Duty Manager Julianna.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the swimming Pool, people with kids to choose twin rooms as they with large beds a...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
Reviewed 5 January 2014

The hotel is about 5min walk from the airport. But far from beaches of Langkawi. The rooms are specious. But the shower area had problem. The water goes opposite to the direction of the drain so I need to wipe the floor after I take shower. The decorations are old and breakfast is very ordinary. The pool area is nice and my daughter enjoyed a lot. We first thought that there was no restaurant in the vicinity of the hotel but one of our taxi drivers showed us some restaurants which serve sea food and local dishes in the roundabout near the hotel. There is also a children playing area near the roundabout. This is a nice place to stay if you have your own transport.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Z_Rahman
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Average service in this hotel. Had a bad time to get Dinner served on the day when we arrived. Pool and other facilities were good and rooms were spacious. Recommended for those who want to stay close to airport (5 min walk) and doesn't mind the service.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple