“2nd time in Awana Porto Malai-Utterly Disappointing!!”

Resorts World Langkawi
Ranked #23 of 104 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Travelled in September 2012.

We arrived in Langkawi at around 9 am. Rented a car and drove to the hotel. Check in time for the hotel is at 3 pm. We went to the hotel at around 9. 30 am and asked the reception if we could check–in early, not surprisingly, of course, they said they had no rooms ready. So, we told them to give us a call if they had any rooms ready. Did not receive any call from them at all. At around 2.30 pm, we drove back to the hotel, and when i walked to the reception, the guy gave me that look “Oh No, I forgot to check or call her back”. Fine. At 2.45 pm, they still had no room and asked us to wait for a little while. So, we waited. Finally, at 3.30 pm, someone came to me to say, they have 1 room ready. So, we gave the room to my friends first and waited for the second room.

While waiting, my bf was at the lobby, while i followed my friends to their room. Our room was still not ready at 4.30 pm! At almost 5pm, my bf went to the reception and gave the lady boss (front office manager) a piece of his mind, and mysteriously, they had a room ready, but, wait. My friends were in Block 4 and we were in Block 5! –which is a very long walk away.

Let me ask you something? We booked about 5 -6 months in advance. Is it possible that they are fully booked during a low season? And they can’t find any room for us next to each other? Then the front desk manager said, they’ll give us a room nearby the next day and upgrade us to a better room. The next day, we did get a room in Block 4 BUT wait, a sea view with a huge tree in front of our window. We paid almost 100 bucks extra for a nice sea view room, not a tree view! I was furious! Called reception and said, I’d rather stay in the previous room we were at. Then, of course, mysteriously, the room next door to my friends was mysteriously made available for us to move into!

The only thing i have to say is- our next trip to Langkawi in July 2013. We will NEVER EVER COME BACK! They’re service is below par. It’s not worth the money you’re paying even if the view is gorgeous. I’ve travelled to many countries overseas and locally, we are the kind of people who are willing to pay for good service, but Awana Porto Malai, NO-NO, i’ve stayed at better budget hotels with better service than this hotel

What's baffling is that they have a big sign-board at the reception for guests to write a review on trip advisor of their experience in this hotel, if i were in the management of this hotel, i would hide that sign board and wouldn't dare open trip advisor to read all the horrible reviews about this hotel.

Service: Horrible!

View: Excellent view, it’s beautiful only if you take a sea view room

Breakfast: I love the breakfast but you can get the same breakfast from any 3 star or 4 star hotels.

Interior: Poor and badly in need of refurnishing.

Cleanliness: Overall ok from the outside but inside the rooms, needs more refurbishing and cleaning. The hotel is very old and run down.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank drseethaking

Reviewed 12 February 2013

Recently I went to Langkawi to celebrate my Jan vacation with my family. Langkawi is a very amazing place especially for those who are fun loving. And above this the hotel we selected for our stay was perfect place for enjoyment. We stayed in Awana Port Malai resort for 4 days via a good and budget tour from Antilog Vacations , who not only booked our kulalaumpur,genting,langkawi trip at gr8 price but also provided us lower airfare to the places

This Mediterranean inspired marina and resort, located in a secluded corner of the famous Pantai Cenang on Langkawi Island, is just 15 minutes from Langkawi airport. It’s a very peaceful and relaxing resort and boasts spectacular and unobstructed views of ocean, the surrounding islands or the well manicured gardens. Best of all the resort is merely 10 minutes from Pantai Cenang proper and other duty free shopping venues. Along with on site eateries and facilities, idyllic Awana Port malai resort is perfect for travelers who appreciate scenery and romance.
Now if I talk of rooms they were also perfect and finely furnished. Spacious and cozy superior sea view room perfectly ideal for family where you can enjoy gorgeous sun rise and sunset. Room has air condition, LCD with satellite channels, mini fridge etc. Bathroom was provided with hair drier and basic toiletries. The room also had attached balcony provided with tea table.
Resort had intimate dining facilities. Food was fabulous whether we talk about dinner at Zest while enjoying a glorious view of the legendary Pregnant Maiden Island or coffee at seagull Coffee house or drinks at Lobby Lounge- a great place for cocktails, entertaining live music and socializing.
Resort also offers private jetty for activities like island hopping, private boat rides, sunset cruises and fishing. They also offer a 5 star Javanese spa to pamper their guest. Also travelling in Langkawi is easy.
Hotel staff was helpful and we appreciate the hospitality provided by the hotel and will recommend this resort to all who want to enjoy in Langkawi.
Ws a brilliant tour in the end.

Room Tip: no idea..ours ws good
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Sameer K
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Our family (extended ones, too) have been celebrating Christmas in Langkawi for the past nine years; including several Hari Rayas, Deepavalis and LIMA Exihibitions. We have actually submitted our views and comments over the years regarding the state of the hotel but we do not see any improvement or any plans in the pipeline to improve this resort. I always reserved a minimum of three rooms, maximum six. The reasons we kept going back to Awana are:
a. my two children (now young adults) and their cousins loved it; the view, yachting, feeding the archer fishes, the pool, the location and the water adventure/sports hub.
b. the rest of us loved the view and location, the tranquility and the fabulous sea view from your own room balcony.
We won't be going back to Awana because:
a. we had to force them to change our rooms (all four of them, same floor) because of ants & roaches infestation;
b. stained (not properly cleaned) toilets and bath;
c. checking in took too long (short staffed)
d. checking out even longer; mistakes in billing;
e. wifi not working at all;
f. too many guests, too few staff and quite a few more complaints!
It's a very popular holiday destination, fully booked most of the time. I actually felt bad giving this review but this year was the last straw.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms located in the new wing. Cleaner, airier and much more comfortable. You get better lig...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Excellent view, thats about it !! This old Genting hotel is in the midst of changing its name from Awana to Resort world Langkawi,I seriously hope not just the name changing to revamp this old looking place but a complete overhaul would bring this place back to its lustre. Everything here seems to need a total change, most importantly the front desk's staff attitude, they should be more pro-active rather then re-active and defensive. Really like the service of the F&B place though, friendly staff and ever helpful. Rooms are still in the 80's with old furniture. The hotel is "L" shaped, and rooms can be far away if its located in block 4 or 5. Car parks around block 4 or 5 could be dark at night so bring a torchlight if you park near to rooms there. Place if too far to walk from Cenang Beach , so get yourself a rented if you are staying here.

Room Tip: Get rooms nearer to Lobby, in block 1 or 2
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 January 2013

We stayed for 4 days and although the room was fine, it did look a little dated furnishings-wise. the view was stunning, and the pool side had plenty of loungers although most afternoons was invaded by large (loud) family groups. The food was fine and the free wifi was great. The live band could certainly be heard quite late at night, so probably not great if you had young children. The main downside was the location, you had to get a taxi to any beach or restaurant and although we tried walking back from Cenang beach one afternoon it took us an hour!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 January 2013 via mobile

Excellent hotel to stay in langkawi. Very friendly staff and great location. Room we stayed in were facing the sea so we had excellent view all the time. A definite relaxing hotel!

The things we are not really happy was the quality of the room. The room looked aged and the bathroom door does not represent class as it was made out of plastic. The TV set was from a cheap model as the voices and the movement from the tv do not synchronize.

But the breakfast will make you forget about everything you don't like about the hotel. It was a real feast!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank arisberg
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I stay at this hotel Jan 19 to Jan 21 night. The view of the hotel is fantastic. I have a room on top of the reception with a superb sea view . The front desk staff has provided good service to me, especially Mr Fahmi who solve my Internet connection problem.

My complaint is on the noise created by the live band which play until midnight on Jan 19. I was told that the live band is on almost everyday. Luckily for me the band is not on Jan 20 and 21 and I can have my peace and quiet for my last 2 nights.

This hotel is perfect for its price range except the live band . The management should seriously consider to cancel the live band.

Room Tip: Away from reception.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends