Travelled in September 2012.
We arrived in Langkawi at around 9 am. Rented a car and drove to the hotel. Check in time for the hotel is at 3 pm. We went to the hotel at around 9. 30 am and asked the reception if we could check–in early, not surprisingly, of course, they said they had no rooms ready. So, we told them to give us a call if they had any rooms ready. Did not receive any call from them at all. At around 2.30 pm, we drove back to the hotel, and when i walked to the reception, the guy gave me that look “Oh No, I forgot to check or call her back”. Fine. At 2.45 pm, they still had no room and asked us to wait for a little while. So, we waited. Finally, at 3.30 pm, someone came to me to say, they have 1 room ready. So, we gave the room to my friends first and waited for the second room.
While waiting, my bf was at the lobby, while i followed my friends to their room. Our room was still not ready at 4.30 pm! At almost 5pm, my bf went to the reception and gave the lady boss (front office manager) a piece of his mind, and mysteriously, they had a room ready, but, wait. My friends were in Block 4 and we were in Block 5! –which is a very long walk away.
Let me ask you something? We booked about 5 -6 months in advance. Is it possible that they are fully booked during a low season? And they can’t find any room for us next to each other? Then the front desk manager said, they’ll give us a room nearby the next day and upgrade us to a better room. The next day, we did get a room in Block 4 BUT wait, a sea view with a huge tree in front of our window. We paid almost 100 bucks extra for a nice sea view room, not a tree view! I was furious! Called reception and said, I’d rather stay in the previous room we were at. Then, of course, mysteriously, the room next door to my friends was mysteriously made available for us to move into!
The only thing i have to say is- our next trip to Langkawi in July 2013. We will NEVER EVER COME BACK! They’re service is below par. It’s not worth the money you’re paying even if the view is gorgeous. I’ve travelled to many countries overseas and locally, we are the kind of people who are willing to pay for good service, but Awana Porto Malai, NO-NO, i’ve stayed at better budget hotels with better service than this hotel
What's baffling is that they have a big sign-board at the reception for guests to write a review on trip advisor of their experience in this hotel, if i were in the management of this hotel, i would hide that sign board and wouldn't dare open trip advisor to read all the horrible reviews about this hotel.
View: Excellent view, it’s beautiful only if you take a sea view room
Breakfast: I love the breakfast but you can get the same breakfast from any 3 star or 4 star hotels.
Interior: Poor and badly in need of refurnishing.
Cleanliness: Overall ok from the outside but inside the rooms, needs more refurbishing and cleaning. The hotel is very old and run down.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Resorts World Langkawi is located 5 minutes away from the popular Cenang Beach and Tengah Beach, and approximately 20 minutes away from Langkawi International Airport. We are also 24KM away from Kuah Town and 16KM from the nearest hospital. The seafront resort and marina overlooks east of Langkawi UNESCO Global Geopark, with the Dayang Bunting Marble Geoforest as its backdrop and the sun rising along it. Peaceful and relaxing, the resort has finely furnished rooms and boasts spectacular and unobstructed views of the ocean, especially the newly renovated rooms of modern and functional design. Enjoy the convenience of our private jetty for activities like island hopping, private boat rides, sunset cruises and fishing. Intimate dining and walks along the boardwalk, or pampering at the recognized 5-star Javanese spa (Taman Sari Royal Heritage Spa), are great options for couples. The hotel also provides free shuttle to Cenang Beach 5 times a day. The idyllic Resorts World Langkawi is perfect for travelers who appreciate scenery and romance, given peace and privacy away from busy tourist centers but at the same time mobility convenience at its doorstep. Live band performance is available daily except Monday. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Resorts World Langkawi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Awana Porto Malai Langkawi Hotel Langkawi
- Awana Porto Malai Hotel Langkawi
- Langkawi Awana Porto Malai