“Value for Money Good fun without denting your wallet”

and 1 more site!
The Lanai Langkawi Beach Resort
Ranked #58 of 104 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed 3 January 2013 via mobile

I was a little apprehensive seeing the reviews before we got there. But was relieved we got what we paid for -clean rooms, linen small but utility bathroom. Excellent pool and a beautiful beach. Little away from cenang that is why we picked this hotel yet cenang was only a 6 ringitt ride away in a cab which were easiky available. Service is functional they are very matter of fact and relaxed but never rude or overly helpful. Qe had a great time as we spent moat of our time in the beach, outdoors in the pool and had mostbod our meals except breakfast and one dinner outside. Their beachside restaurant is good and was good for a drink and snacks in the evening watching the sunset . Like I titled this review good value for money, manage your expectations be realistic of what to expect and you will have fun witjout denting your wallet.

• Stayed: December 2012

Reviewed 4 December 2012

I have spent there 4 nights and when I first came to the hotel I have just felt myself in an 1950 or 60's movie. The staff was very helpful and nice.The rooms are small and a little bit dirty but have balcony. A/C was working too noisy and placed at the lower side of the ceiling at the balcony so if you want to sit and relax at the balcony you can be uncomfortable because of the heat coming from the A/C. The breakfast was average but its ok. The WIFI is not available at the rooms only at the lobby and there are old fashioned tv's at the rooms. The swimming pool is ok but depth is not enough.If you want to order something at the hotel's cafe for lunch it could cost a little bit expensive. It must be more cheaper.The best side of the hotel is the beach. The white sand beach is beatiful and too many crabs are going up and down along the beach.. If you walk 5 minutes away from the hotel you can find out some stores that you can buy drinks,foods etc and also lots of cheap and good restaurants nearby. The Lanai is a little bit far from the main shopping street but not much.It takes 15 or 20 minutes by foot. If you want to spend your holiday in a historical hotel and swim under the hot sun with silence it could be good for you but do not expect a 4 or 5 star hotel or resort. I think if the hotel regenerates without losing its historical face by the management it could be better..

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank tolga23
Reviewed 2 December 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights in November booked via agoda. Every time I went to my room I had that sinking feeling. When I first checked in I was given a room on the third floor which had a strikingly bad smell from the A/C, and dirty towels. The folk at the front desk said the maintenance folks checked the room and though it was fine, but moved me to a different room on the third floor also which was better, though still a lingering moldy odor from the A/C. The sink had a single tap and not much sign of hot water, likewise you have to be quick in the shower. The corridors were discolored, I think from mold.

The hotel has free wi-fi in the lobby but this is an open area so it gets very hot and not a place you would want to spend much time unless you have to (extending wi-fi to the bar area would be great). Breakfast was basic but edible (omelet/egg station, pancakes, toast etc), though hectic. Likewise the beach bar food was passable and at good prices. The pool looked very good and the most picturesque feature of the hotel, but I didn't dip in personally. A lot of families/kids and groups were staying at this hotel. Staff on the desk were helpful and smile if you engage them, though somewhat reserved.

Location-wise this hotel is the last hotel south on the end of Pantai Tengah, which is much less developed than the duty-free-and-souvenir mayhem of Cenang, really a disparate collection of cafes/restaurants, spas and tourist shops set away from the beach (you can't see or hear the water and have to walk through the hotels to get to the beach), a newer small mall with legit local car hire place, and some vacant lots inbetween including a couple of cattle grazing and some new hotel construction. By day this area is quiet and hot, at night it livens up a bit, there are some great spots within walking distance of the hotel which don't look like much from the outside but serve good food, like Cactus at the end of the strip opposite Holiday/Federal Villa (next door to Lanai) which had a lot of returning guests. I think this area has a better strip of eating options than Cenang (at least for adults).

This hotel seems to get very mixed reviews and it's a question of expectations here so buyer beware. If you want to be off the grid in a quiet 'hood on the end of a quiet stretch of beach, in a budget choice vs. neighboring hotels, with a good family pool, this may be a good place for you. But the old, smelly & moldy room, dirty corridor walls and questionable plumbing, would not entice me back here at any rate.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank ringspa
Reviewed 26 November 2012

Im staying here 23rd-25th Nov 2012.

The hotel-

1. Located at pantai tengah- clean beach one row with federal villa and holiday villa.
No entertainment nearby.... no shop . wireless available in lobby area. Tv also there.
2. No lift provided in the resort so please advise the reservation to reserve room at ground floor.
three storey resort.... NO BELLMAN you have to climb the stairs even to go to coffee house for breakfast
3. Swimming pool ok. clean and nice
4. Room are bit smelly old furniture, old tv, limited channel.
5. bath room so old need need refurbish. the sliding door are fall apart already...
6. The heater are not function well. cant adjust the temperature.. i am experience really hot during my shower. thank good iam ok.
7. Breakfast - not many choice but the menu change everyday. The taste good.
8. No room service.

If you are a kind of people love for night walk just stay in cenang area .. this place nothing ...

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 November 2012

The Lanai Beach Resort is at the end of Pantai Tengah beach in Langkawi. The rooms, while not modern, are comfortable with a number of the deluxe rooms also having private balconies. The resort is right on the beach and provides deck chairs and a beach side restaurant. It also has a terrific swimming pool suitable for the whole family. Breakfast was not spectacular but sufficient. It is within easy walking distance to a number of restaurants and a 25 minute walk will get you to shops including duty free.
We have now stopped there 3 times and will probably stay there again.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and get a deluxe room with a balcony.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank glassred
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Well booked, this resort for the last leg of my Honeymoon last year in December. I never got the time to review the place as there are no great memories from the place anyways. I did my booking through Agoda. I had to reach Langkawi from Satun through a Ferry. We missed the evening ferry, hence we had to stay back in Satun. We could only reach Langkawi the next afternoon, with an evening to spent at this property.

As soon as we reached the reception, I could realize that my expectation level was too much, especially after coming from the most hospitable place on the Earth "Thailand". The staff was unfriendly and did not even smile once while talking to us. We were already in a bad mood and then we came to know that we have got a room in the 2nd floor, and there was no one to pick our luggage and to my surprise no Lifts... So we had to carry our luggage using the stairs to the second floor.. That was it....

Entered the room and it was as small as a room in a ship... it was too small and I did not like it at all. The colors were too SAD as well. We just left the resort in 20 minutes and went sight seeing by hiring a bike... The bike guy next door is another rude person I have met on my trip to Malaysia... Its amazing how they claim that Malaysia is Truly Asia, while I find people to be RUDE...

We came back and decided to eat at the resort restaurant. The food was OKAY, nothing spectacular....

Overall it was a poor experience.. I would not recommend this resort at all..

The only plus point was the Pool.. It is large and good, but not properly lightened for late evenings...

Room Tip: Don't book this... but incase you have no other choice then ask them for a room at the ground fl...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SunnyDua
Reviewed 16 October 2012

Room is okay and we choose ground floor room infront of the pool for easy access to the pool. Pool is perfect and even have some shades from the building so you can still swim during the afternoon. Very quiet location and great view of the beach. Breakfast is okay and they rotate the menu with mix of local and western. Breakfast is serve until 10.30am and they replenish the food. Aircond in the room have a bit noisy sound, but it didnt bother us. Our room has another door to a verandah with table and chairs facing the garden.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family