“Not worth of a 4star hotel”

Century Langkasuka Resort
Ranked #79 of 103 Hotels in Langkawi
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
“Not worth of a 4star hotel”
Reviewed 31 December 2011

i stayed here for 4 days in this hotel. Came back on 29th dec, i would just say it is a average hotel which is overpriced. there is no intentional calling facilities,how can it be a 4star hotel??
The breakfast buffet for which they are charging 100RY is very high & it is not worth of that much money. The pool is nice n big. Beach was OK. Rooms are spacious & big. I took partial sea view room, from which no way u can see sea. Its better to take the ground floor rooms.
Overall it is not worth of money u spend. Big No -for value for money.

Room Tip: Dont go for partial sea view room
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChinmaySahoo
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkasuka Resort, responded to this review, 13 January 2012
Dear ChinmaySahoo,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience in this review.

I take concern on our guests comments and consistently work with my team to improve the services provided.

On the International Direct Dial (IDD) trouble you encountered in your room, please rest assured that my team is working closely with Telekom Malaysia to rectify the line connection issue. Meanwhile, IDD calls can be made through our Guest Services. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience encountered.

It is nice to know that you like our pool and spacious room. Our Resort Manager is taking the necessary action with his team to improve the view of our partial sea view room. Trust you will be able to enjoy a better view in your next stay.

As for the price of our buffet breakfast, I can assure that it is comparable with other 5 star hotels on the island. I can also assure that our Executive Chef puts effort in monitoring the food quality and works on different menus to offer in the buffet line each day to offer value for our guest.

Once again, I appreciate your valuable feedback giving us an opportunity to improve and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards.

KUMAR RENOO

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 29 December 2011

You know had this been a soft opening for about $120 per night I would have been able to deal- but as someone who travels a lot I am furious that my Christmas break was WASTED at this hotel- that I expected a fully operational 4star hotel!!!! Had I known ahead of time that it was not fully open -like a soft opening- I would have been better mentally prepared and if I had known before booking I probably would not have booked because this was Christmas and I wanted comfort and ease and I am willing to pay for it. How low and rotten of the hotel manager to do this to guests who are traveling half way around the world- who have payed over $321 US per night for dirty dirty under furnished rooms an understaffed hotel with NO comfort features at all what-so-ever- no room service- no airport pick up- no poolside anything- there is only one restaurant with an extremely limited tiny menu- they cannot serve people with allergies( I am one) no breakfast other than fruit. We looked for a manager- none to be found! A properly managed hotel of even a 3 star range should always have a manager on duty to meet guests and to actually manage staff and hotel operations!!!
So sad!!!! In a year, and with about 75 more staff members and a much better management team maybe this hotel could count as a 3 1/2 star hotel. The management should refund customers a portion of what they payed and they need to make it clear to anyone who books that this is a soft opening.
Additionally, housekeeping needs to be trained on how to clean thoroughly and they need to be scheduled better- we had to call housekeeping after 3 pm on 2 of the four days we were here, and it was not cleaned before 1:30 any of the other days. The halls never got mopped in 4 days I was disgusted and I have pictures. There were NO hand towels at all for the first two days and we were only allotted 2 towels and a floor mat- is this four star??? There should be bug candles or some type of repellent system in the hall ways and a more substantial system in the rooms. No guest wants to loose sleep to an annoying mosquito!!!! There should be a minimum of 3 people assigned to the pool to get chairs set up and help pool goers- there was not a single staff member at the pool the entire 3 hours we spent there. We had to open the umbrellas move the furniture to get some shade- figure out the magical location of the towels??! There is nothing on the beach for a hotel that advertises a beautiful beach for guest use- again a lie!
This hotel needs a good, organized chef with impeccable hygiene and if they put up signs stating that they can serve those with allergies they should actually be able to do it. The landscapers need to be reorganized- they do a little work out front and sit there- there are plenty of them but I saw trash all over the place leaves everywhere the lobby bathroom plants needed upkeep- with this amount of grounds keepers this property should be not only clean but immaculate and looking much better than it did. There NEEDS to be a concierge and room service if this is going to be categorized as a 4 star hotel. The lobby needs more furniture- the air conditioning needs to work and it actually needs something in it!!
If you want someone to come train and organize you staff let me know- Seriously- at your service. There is potential here but really what a complete let down and horrible rip off coming from the greedy management who allowed guest to think and pay for a supposed 4 star fully operational hotel. To save your reputation you should really fix tis fast!!

• Stayed December 2011
5 Thank Alucia111
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkasuka Resort, responded to this review, 4 January 2012
Dear "Alucia111",

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction during your stay with us.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you personally. Please contact me via email at mohd.tasriff@fourpoints.com.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 29 December 2011

It is very near the airport, and the beach is fine. Reception is spacious, the staff is friendly and resourceful. My room 1032 is near the beach, and by the pool. The room is spacious and comfortable, the washroom is great and shower is divine. The only shortcoming would be my room is way too near the pool, and was disturbed by a wedding party that gone a bit too wild.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank weikeat
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkasuka Resort, responded to this review, 10 January 2012
Dear "weikeat",

Thank you for providing us your recent experience at our Resort in this review.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our hospitality and like the comfort of our guestrooms.

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with this review and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 December 2011

First, when we arrived the staff at the front desk didn't find our reservation, dispite the reservation and credit card numbers provided. That's why they kept us waiting 30min in the empty lobby. Still no reservation found. After that we got a comfort room in the ground floor. We had high expectations 'cause the pictures of this hotel in their own website. But no, the room was dirty and unfinished. Plus the bathtub was covered in some weird yellow stuff with some odd smell flying around. So i insisted a new room, which took atleast another 30min for the front desk to take care of. Finally we got a new room which wasn't cleaned. Back to the reception. This time they gave us a room which they described that it has some minor paint spots in the floor. We were tired after a long trip so we agreed and took that room, but we shouldn't have.. It was as unfinished and dirty as the previous rooms but the bathroom ceiling was in mould and all blue (check out the photos), very nice. I called the guest manager herself to come up and see the "minor spots" in the room. The manager said those mould spots were there because the hotel was new, bad excuse. I said now i really want something better than dirty and moulded rooms. The manager told us to see what she can do and left. Then we waited over an hour before I called again to the reception and asked what's the hold up, and they didnt remember the whole thing. Very nice customer service. We finally got a room facing some dirty and loud parking lot for the first night, because according to the manager there was nothing else available. Next day we got an ocean view room right next to a tree that blocked the view.
Other bad things, the staff lacks fluency of english and was rude and unpolite. There was some annoying renovation going on every single morning. The only thing i need from a vacation is drilling right next to our room. They should have informed the customers about that and give atleast some discount.a
The restaurant was also bad. We ordered a pizza and a burger. That pizza was wrong one and they refilled beer without asking anything and simply added it to the bill.
The "welcoming" music was loud in the corridor all night long and there's no sound insulation anywhere.
This has by far been the absolutely worst hotel stay of my life. It is advertised as a new four star hotel, which is not true. Really, a langkawi budget in would have been a better option and value for money. I have no clue how some critic can make it four stars. Those who write something positive about this, must be paid by sheraton. Because anyone with experiences of a decent four star hotel, cannot even describe it a two star motel.

• Stayed December 2011
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkasuka Resort, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
Dear "Rotjake",

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with this review.

It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet the expectations that previous Sheraton Hotels have provided you.

I take concern of your feedback and currently working with my team to improve the overall performances. The inefficient service that you experienced is not typical of the service we offer. As you may know, the availability of rooms are limited when the hotel is running high occupancy especially during your check in.

Checking into a dirty room can leave a negative lasting impression that overshadows the rest of any trip. Rest assured that your comments are looked into to prevent similar occurrences from happening in the future. Our Resort Manager is taking the necessary action with his team to improve the view of our sea view rooms. Trust our guests will be able to experience a better view soon.

Our guest privacy is always respected and I do apologize for the noise disturbance that you experienced during your stay. For your information, we have stopped the music played at our guestrooms corridors.

Your comments on the services provided at Eatery are currently looked into by the Food & Beverage Manager. Please rest assured that our staff are given proper training and guidance for improvement.

I am sorry that your overall stay did not leave a positive lasting impression.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback.

KL
Reviewed 28 December 2011

We recently stayed in this hotel over Christmas and I will not be back. I've been to many resorts around the world and this have to be the worst I've experienced. We are part of a big group and this hotel is not ready to be operation. It's as though the are forcing to be opened for the peak season. No room service and meals in between times are hard to come by. Although it's new, there are many missing items in rooms of our group, phone not working, missing towels, mini safe, fridge and etc; mine did not have rubbish bins. A few of our rooms have spiders and cobwebs in many places. There are mosquitoes in the room (which I understand) and no mosquito coil or repellent in rooms. Only thing I like in the room is the bed and pillows, very comfortable.

As this hotel is by Sheration, I find most surprising is the lack of training of staff throughout the resort and especially the restaurant. This is both the staff in the kitchen and dining area. Special mention for the Assistant Manager at the Eatery as was very patient and tried his best but overall is still very lacking.

I can go on with a long list of things but all in all this is not an experience I expected with the price they are charging. This felt like a 2 star hotel experience to me, definitely not a 4 star.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkasuka Resort, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Dear "PSC",

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this review.

I regret to read that your recent experience did not leave a positive lasting impression.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience encountered with the incomplete set up of our guestrooms. I can assure that your comments have been passed onto our Housekeeping Team to prevent similar occurrences from happening in the future.

On the positive note, I am glad to know that you like the comfort of our bed and pillows in the room.

My Food & Beverage Manager take concern over your comment on our staff at Eatery; and can assure trainings are conducted regularly to improve their skills. I am pleased to hear of your pleasant experience with our Assistant Manager at Eatery.

Should there be an opportunity for us to provide you with a more comfortable stay in the near future, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Thanks.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 21 December 2011

My recent stay at Four Point was a disaster despite it being under the management of Starwood. Few of my sad scenarios:-

(1) I've called the reception counter to confirm if I can check-in early when I step down Langkawi. When I reached the hotel at 1pm, they told me the room was not ready and I gotta wait because the standard check-in time is 3pm. I asked if they could clean up the room immediately because I couldn't go anywhere as the traffic was quite packed due to the on-going LIMA. Again, they answered me the check-in time is 3pm. As if I don't know the hotel rules and I'm wrong to check in early. Lack of sleep from my early flight, I shouted at them and I got my room in 15 minutes.
(2) The seaview room which cost an extra RM200 premium wasn't exactly a seaview room with partial blocking by the trees. Don't expect your balcony/window directly facing the sea because it's only 60 degree facing the sea. They say the 90 degree sea facing unit is a suite. I suggest to go for their comfort room as those upgrade doesn't make any different!
(3) No daily newspaper, no refill of drinking water! What a big NO-NO for a 4* hotel. The complimentary home brew is just a Tiger beer. Forget about it, it's so cheap in Langkawi. Limited entertainment with around 14 TV channel including RTMs.
(4) Worst still, the room numbering is a headache. Even their staffs don't know how to locate our room. Proper training of the staffs is an urgent matter. Worst Sheraton experience ever.

Worth a 3* only because of the new furniture, big bathroom, comfy bed and the nice pool.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank ling2006
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkasuka Resort, responded to this review, 27 December 2011
Dear "ling2006",

It is with regret to hear of your disappointment. We take great concern of our guest experiences and strive to meet their expectations wherever possible. As you are aware, the Resort was running high occupancy due to LIMA 2011 and room availability for early check in was very limited.

Our Seaview rooms were carefully chosen for the view they provide, we will look into the view of the room you occupied and take necessary actions.

For your information, newspapers are obtainable at our Reception daily as we do not distribute them to individual rooms. As for the drinking water, our Room Attendant will refill two bottles in the room daily. We apologize if this was not the case.

Your feedback regarding the lack of product knowledge is well taken and I assure that we conduct regular product trainings for our staff and will continue to do so.

Once again, thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback.

Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed 16 December 2011

New hotel, recently started and hence they have to improve upon certain areas. A good hotel to stay with polite staff, spacious rooms and good infrastructure. Swimming pool is just great and large, next to the beach. Staff is less and hence guests will face problems after 10.30pm. Tidy furniture, clean and roomy bathrooms and friendly staff. Renting a car is Langkawi is the most ideal way to get around. Better do it at the airport itself. Free wi fi.

Room Tip: No rooms facing the sea. First floor rooms provide more privacy compared to GF ones.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sekharkc
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkasuka Resort, responded to this review, 26 December 2011
Dear "Sekharkc",

It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed our hospitality and the comfort of our spacious room.

Your kind notes certainly give us motivation to move forward in providing better services.

On the staffing issue, we always ensure we have sufficient staff on hand to assist guests in all areas of the Hotel at all times and regrettably that you experienced otherwise. In addition, we can assure that our Guest Services is available 24 hours to provide necessary assistance for our guest comfort.

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with this review.

Meanwhile, we look forward to welcome you back in the near future.