“Budget hotel with a little more”

Century Langkasuka Resort
Ranked #79 of 103 Hotels in Langkawi
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
“Budget hotel with a little more”
Reviewed 7 January 2012

This place has been refurbished from a old local mgmt.
Rooms: The rooms are very spacious, not like typical hotel with carpeted flooring. Sheets and towels arr acceptable.
Breakfast: Not the best, little variety to choose and food aften is cold.
Pool: Quite a large infinity pool about 4ft-5ft in depth
Loation: Really close to airport but far from everything else
Service: Staffs are professional and attends to your request promptly
Major cons: This place is filled with mossies. The first night if check in, i killed more than 30 of them. The lobby too is infested by mossies. The mgmt better do something before someone gets down with denggi fever.

• Stayed January 2012
6 Thank KKlow
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkasuka Resort, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Dear "KKlow",

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our Resort in this review.

It is nice to hear that you enjoyed our hospitality and like the comfort of our guestroom during your recent stay.

Your comments to improve the variety and quality of food served during breakfast at Eatery is currently being looked into by our Executive Chef.

I appreciate your concern on the mosquitoes issue, rest assured that pest control exercise is being carried out regularly both in our guestrooms as well as the surrounding area.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback.

Kumar Renoo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Holland
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We have stayed here during Christmas 2011 and we really liked it. The rooms were very spacious and clean. The breakfast was very good. a lot of choise in hot stuff, fruit, cheese, juices etc. The pool was very nice located next to the beach. We have not used the restaurant, as there are many places on the island that you can go to for dinner. Try the night markets! Location is very close to the airport, but there are not that many planes taking off. It did not bother us. To travel around the Island, you need a car ofr a motorbike. You can rent both anywhere.A small car only costs you 25 Euro a day.
It is a brand new resort and some areas need a bit more "decoration". But, if you go to langkawi, you will spend most of your time outside your hotel anyhow.
I will certainly come back her for a nice winterbreak!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkasuka Resort, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
Dear DutchBirder,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your overall experience in this review.

It is great to know that our guests enjoy their stay during their holiday.

I am happy to hear that you like our buffet breakfast served at Eatery and comfort of our room.

Thank you for your kind understanding and rest assured that I work closely with my team to improve the overall decoration in the resort.

Once again, thank you very much for your kind note and I look forward to welcome you back in the near future.
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 3 January 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Four Points for a 4 day New Year's trip to Langkawi. We chose the hotel because we could use our airline miles. Because our stay was free (kind of), my expectations were a little lower and I was less demanding them perhaps I would otherwise be. The property is nice - literally right across from the airport- but still on the beach. I was worried that planes overhead would be a nuisance but they fly in a different direction so no problem at all. Our guidebook implied that the beach in Kuala Muda was awful, but it was actually quiet and lovely and protected by a breakwall (so very calm). It's an easy 5 min drive to the hustle and bustle of Pantai Cenang (which has jetskiing, parasailing, etc) but it's nice to have a quiet beach in front of the hotel (absolutely no one trying to hustle you for your business).

There is a lovely and HUGE infinity pool, a small gym with a great view, a lobby bar, and a restaurant. Breakfast was diverse, including Malaysian, Chinese, and Western favorites plus fruit and lots of pastries.

The service was polite and accomodating, although not always efficient. We checked in on New Year's Eve and were given a sea-view room with 2 double beds. We were told that they could upgrade us to a room with king size bed the next night if we wanted, but we were too lazy to switch.

Our room was an interesting experience. The hotel is clearly brand-new and so the facilities are nice. However, I think it was constructed rather shabbily and already showing signs of wear (dirty tiles in shower, scuffs on the walls, etc). The shower door didn't close all the way (poor construction). We also had spotty housecleaning service. The first day, our complimentary 2 bottles of water weren't replenished and our hand towels were removed but we werent given clean towels. The second day, we returned to a cleaned room to find we had no towels at all (no bath towels, hand towels, bathmat or washcloths.) We called to ask for towels and were first provided with just bath towels. When we called again and asked for a bathmat, we were provided with another bath towel. Frustrating, but not the end of the world.

There was one problem that I would have made a bigger fuss about if we had been paying for our room- the mosquitoes. I don't know why but our room was absolutely filled with mozzies. We killed maybe 20 the first day and 10 the second day. I don't know if they were somehow getting in the room or if they were breeding in there, but it was very annoying to have mozzies inside the hotel room even if the balcony door closed.

Finally, our hotel room door wouldn't close automatically behind you. You had to physically slam it shut. One evening, we returned to our room after dinner in Pantai Cenang to find our door halfway open. Apparently, housekeeping had brought us towels but didnt slam the door shut. I don't know how long our room was open (and luckily all our valuables were locked in the safe), but it was disconcerting to think that anyone could have walked into our room to pilfer our things. We called the front desk to express our concern and they were semi-apologetic.

All in all, it was an OK place to stay and I would definitely return. We walked along Pantai Cenang and frankly all the beachside hotels there looked absolutely abysmal... so I was happy to have a cleaner, newer place to stay. The Four Seasons and other luxury resorts were out of our price range so the Four Points was a good compromise. Perhaps some of our issues will be resolved as the staff gets more experience.

Room Tip: Choose a seaview room!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank hinalea
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkasuka Resort, responded to this review, 5 January 2012
Dear "hinalea",

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this review.

I am happy to hear of your relaxing stay and glad that you like the privacy of our beach.

The security of our guest is priority and I would like to inform you that we have already rectified the room door after receiving your call at the front desk the other day. I appreciate your patience with the services provided by our Housekeeping Team and can assure that proper trainings are provided to improve their efficiency.

As for the mosquitoes issue, please rests assured that pest control exercise is being regularly conducted both in our guestrooms and as well as the surrounding area.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed 31 December 2011

i stayed here for 4 days in this hotel. Came back on 29th dec, i would just say it is a average hotel which is overpriced. there is no intentional calling facilities,how can it be a 4star hotel??
The breakfast buffet for which they are charging 100RY is very high & it is not worth of that much money. The pool is nice n big. Beach was OK. Rooms are spacious & big. I took partial sea view room, from which no way u can see sea. Its better to take the ground floor rooms.
Overall it is not worth of money u spend. Big No -for value for money.

Room Tip: Dont go for partial sea view room
1 Thank ChinmaySahoo
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkasuka Resort, responded to this review, 13 January 2012
Dear ChinmaySahoo,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience in this review.

I take concern on our guests comments and consistently work with my team to improve the services provided.

On the International Direct Dial (IDD) trouble you encountered in your room, please rest assured that my team is working closely with Telekom Malaysia to rectify the line connection issue. Meanwhile, IDD calls can be made through our Guest Services. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience encountered.

It is nice to know that you like our pool and spacious room. Our Resort Manager is taking the necessary action with his team to improve the view of our partial sea view room. Trust you will be able to enjoy a better view in your next stay.

As for the price of our buffet breakfast, I can assure that it is comparable with other 5 star hotels on the island. I can also assure that our Executive Chef puts effort in monitoring the food quality and works on different menus to offer in the buffet line each day to offer value for our guest.

Once again, I appreciate your valuable feedback giving us an opportunity to improve and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards.

KUMAR RENOO
Reviewed 29 December 2011

You know had this been a soft opening for about $120 per night I would have been able to deal- but as someone who travels a lot I am furious that my Christmas break was WASTED at this hotel- that I expected a fully operational 4star hotel!!!! Had I known ahead of time that it was not fully open -like a soft opening- I would have been better mentally prepared and if I had known before booking I probably would not have booked because this was Christmas and I wanted comfort and ease and I am willing to pay for it. How low and rotten of the hotel manager to do this to guests who are traveling half way around the world- who have payed over $321 US per night for dirty dirty under furnished rooms an understaffed hotel with NO comfort features at all what-so-ever- no room service- no airport pick up- no poolside anything- there is only one restaurant with an extremely limited tiny menu- they cannot serve people with allergies( I am one) no breakfast other than fruit. We looked for a manager- none to be found! A properly managed hotel of even a 3 star range should always have a manager on duty to meet guests and to actually manage staff and hotel operations!!!
So sad!!!! In a year, and with about 75 more staff members and a much better management team maybe this hotel could count as a 3 1/2 star hotel. The management should refund customers a portion of what they payed and they need to make it clear to anyone who books that this is a soft opening.
Additionally, housekeeping needs to be trained on how to clean thoroughly and they need to be scheduled better- we had to call housekeeping after 3 pm on 2 of the four days we were here, and it was not cleaned before 1:30 any of the other days. The halls never got mopped in 4 days I was disgusted and I have pictures. There were NO hand towels at all for the first two days and we were only allotted 2 towels and a floor mat- is this four star??? There should be bug candles or some type of repellent system in the hall ways and a more substantial system in the rooms. No guest wants to loose sleep to an annoying mosquito!!!! There should be a minimum of 3 people assigned to the pool to get chairs set up and help pool goers- there was not a single staff member at the pool the entire 3 hours we spent there. We had to open the umbrellas move the furniture to get some shade- figure out the magical location of the towels??! There is nothing on the beach for a hotel that advertises a beautiful beach for guest use- again a lie!
This hotel needs a good, organized chef with impeccable hygiene and if they put up signs stating that they can serve those with allergies they should actually be able to do it. The landscapers need to be reorganized- they do a little work out front and sit there- there are plenty of them but I saw trash all over the place leaves everywhere the lobby bathroom plants needed upkeep- with this amount of grounds keepers this property should be not only clean but immaculate and looking much better than it did. There NEEDS to be a concierge and room service if this is going to be categorized as a 4 star hotel. The lobby needs more furniture- the air conditioning needs to work and it actually needs something in it!!
If you want someone to come train and organize you staff let me know- Seriously- at your service. There is potential here but really what a complete let down and horrible rip off coming from the greedy management who allowed guest to think and pay for a supposed 4 star fully operational hotel. To save your reputation you should really fix tis fast!!

• Stayed December 2011
5 Thank Alucia111
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkasuka Resort, responded to this review, 4 January 2012
Dear "Alucia111",

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction during your stay with us.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you personally. Please contact me via email at mohd.tasriff@fourpoints.com.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 29 December 2011

It is very near the airport, and the beach is fine. Reception is spacious, the staff is friendly and resourceful. My room 1032 is near the beach, and by the pool. The room is spacious and comfortable, the washroom is great and shower is divine. The only shortcoming would be my room is way too near the pool, and was disturbed by a wedding party that gone a bit too wild.

1 Thank weikeat
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkasuka Resort, responded to this review, 10 January 2012
Dear "weikeat",

Thank you for providing us your recent experience at our Resort in this review.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our hospitality and like the comfort of our guestrooms.

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with this review and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 December 2011

First, when we arrived the staff at the front desk didn't find our reservation, dispite the reservation and credit card numbers provided. That's why they kept us waiting 30min in the empty lobby. Still no reservation found. After that we got a comfort room in the ground floor. We had high expectations 'cause the pictures of this hotel in their own website. But no, the room was dirty and unfinished. Plus the bathtub was covered in some weird yellow stuff with some odd smell flying around. So i insisted a new room, which took atleast another 30min for the front desk to take care of. Finally we got a new room which wasn't cleaned. Back to the reception. This time they gave us a room which they described that it has some minor paint spots in the floor. We were tired after a long trip so we agreed and took that room, but we shouldn't have.. It was as unfinished and dirty as the previous rooms but the bathroom ceiling was in mould and all blue (check out the photos), very nice. I called the guest manager herself to come up and see the "minor spots" in the room. The manager said those mould spots were there because the hotel was new, bad excuse. I said now i really want something better than dirty and moulded rooms. The manager told us to see what she can do and left. Then we waited over an hour before I called again to the reception and asked what's the hold up, and they didnt remember the whole thing. Very nice customer service. We finally got a room facing some dirty and loud parking lot for the first night, because according to the manager there was nothing else available. Next day we got an ocean view room right next to a tree that blocked the view.
Other bad things, the staff lacks fluency of english and was rude and unpolite. There was some annoying renovation going on every single morning. The only thing i need from a vacation is drilling right next to our room. They should have informed the customers about that and give atleast some discount.a
The restaurant was also bad. We ordered a pizza and a burger. That pizza was wrong one and they refilled beer without asking anything and simply added it to the bill.
The "welcoming" music was loud in the corridor all night long and there's no sound insulation anywhere.
This has by far been the absolutely worst hotel stay of my life. It is advertised as a new four star hotel, which is not true. Really, a langkawi budget in would have been a better option and value for money. I have no clue how some critic can make it four stars. Those who write something positive about this, must be paid by sheraton. Because anyone with experiences of a decent four star hotel, cannot even describe it a two star motel.

• Stayed December 2011
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkasuka Resort, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
Dear "Rotjake",

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with this review.

It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet the expectations that previous Sheraton Hotels have provided you.

I take concern of your feedback and currently working with my team to improve the overall performances. The inefficient service that you experienced is not typical of the service we offer. As you may know, the availability of rooms are limited when the hotel is running high occupancy especially during your check in.

Checking into a dirty room can leave a negative lasting impression that overshadows the rest of any trip. Rest assured that your comments are looked into to prevent similar occurrences from happening in the future. Our Resort Manager is taking the necessary action with his team to improve the view of our sea view rooms. Trust our guests will be able to experience a better view soon.

Our guest privacy is always respected and I do apologize for the noise disturbance that you experienced during your stay. For your information, we have stopped the music played at our guestrooms corridors.

Your comments on the services provided at Eatery are currently looked into by the Food & Beverage Manager. Please rest assured that our staff are given proper training and guidance for improvement.

I am sorry that your overall stay did not leave a positive lasting impression.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback.