“Not upto Taj Standards! Service leaves a lot to be desired.”

Vivanta by Taj Rebak Island, Langkawi
Ranked #9 of 104 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Made a trip recently with some friends who were travelling with infants. Couldn't have started off on a worse note, despite getting there right at the check-in time of 2PM were made to wait for 2 hours to get our rooms! The lady at the reception was downright rude, rather than sounding apologetic, it seemed as if she was doing us a favour! The rest of the service staff is helpful, but service is generally slow.

The rooms are decent and very large, but certainly you would come to expect better standards from Taj.

Food is decent but not great, though the Indian food is actually quite good.

The property is massive and beautiful, you can go biking or jogging along a trail along the coast. This is highly recommended.

Overall quite a mixed experience, I would certainly think twice before recommending this hotel to someone else. Go there for the novelty of being the only resort on the Island, certainly don't expect Taj standards.

• Stayed: August 2011

Reviewed 31 August 2011

Secluded property built on an separate island. Staff is efficient and very helping. Regular ferrys make you stay connected with the main land. Availablity of good Indian food in that part of Malaysia is a big plus.
Had gr8 time and would love to go back again.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Puneet64
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Couldn't fault the Rebak resort. Service was efficient and friendly, and its a wonderful place to be away from the crowd. Whilst some areas are showing signs of ware and tear, the renovations are in full swing and I have no doubt this will only improve what is otherwise a wonderful holiday destination. The boat trip to the main island is quick and enjoyable, doesn't matter how many times you do it. Food is definitely worth mentioning. Excellent quality local produce, and the size of the menu will surprise. Staff were more than helpfull and the pool and garden areas are in tip top clean condition. I would rate it a quality 4 star at present and showing signs of improving.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank peter-teresa k
Reviewed 19 August 2011

The rabak resort is a nice isolated place for people who do not want to be in the main city and away from all the night life parties and happening market areas.
Though it is a Taj property it does not meet all standards of a Taj hotel.
We had booked 2 rooms and were given only 1 when we checked in the other room took an hour to get ready.which was very irritating after such a long flight.
The House keeping of the rooms is very bad. 3 nights and no bed linen was changed had the call house keeping the last day to get the sheets changed.
The toilet too was not cleaned on a daily basis the the towel coats were worn out with holes them.The flush had a problem in both rooms and there was no inroom safe provided in 1 of the rooms.
The Gm and housekeeping incharge seem to be on a vacation.
The breakfast buffet was amazing and upto 5 star standards.
Pool, Bar area and private beach excellent.
However we had booked 2 rooms at the same time and were charged extra for 1 of the rooms for no reason.
Also donot take the hotel transfer from the airport u will get many taxis for 10 ringets.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank sbhatnagar
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Right from the time I booked, I had a feeling that this would be a disaster. You know, that gut feeling you get before doing something, that voice in your head telling you that something is not right! I too had a song playing in my head like Mr. Shetty of “Hera Pheri”. Yet, emboldened by the brand Taj I decided to go ahead and plan the holiday with my in laws at the Taj Rebak Island resort in Langkawi!
I booked the rooms through a aggregator website and was pleased to see that it was #5 of 79 resorts in Langkawi! I got a good deal, not knowing that a lot of the brand was wiped off with those extra dollar discounts I got. When I reached the jetty, I was shocked to see that they did not have a boat plying on demand between the hotel island and the port. This made me mad with myself and with the hotel. Myself, for not having researched properly and the hotel for not having mentioned it on their website! So having missed the 12:30 pm boat by a whisker, we had to wait for an hour to get on to the next one.
Lopez a charming duty manager told us all about the hotel and about the people and what kind of service to expect. He told us about his lineage to India and about the fact that now he is 1/8 Indian. In his rant about the Pantai Cenang area, he forgot to offer us (especially the mother to be) even a glass of water. I would have thought that the best in hospitality hotel would have at least managed to train their staff with the basics of Indian manners. Atithi Devi Bhava! Aamir, where are you?!
So then finally at 2 pm we reached the shores of the hotel. Only again surprised to see that they had only two golf carts for 16 people about to check in. Hmmm.
At the reception we waited for about 10 minutes before someone came to check us in. Despite having a confirmed room upgrade to the beach front suites, we were left to the banal partial sea view rooms with an explanation that they had not received any intimation from Bombay.
After a night flight, a 3 hour halt and then another flight, I needed to cleanse myself! A shower was in order. While my dutiful AND angry wife harped on the phone at the front desk manager, I snuck in to take a shower. A picture speaks a thousand words, please see the uploaded images to witness the upkeep of the hotel. The shower pissed on me, the soap holder was corroded and about to fall off, the door was stained and the mirror light was not working.
Finally after having convinced him and having forwarded him an email from Bombay, we were shifted to our rooms. Bigger yet not spectacular. The TCL television made a buzzing sound every time I switched it on reminding me of the airplane announcements to switch off all electronic devices which may cause interference! OMG! I turned off everything except the telephone (even the lights!) but it was to no avail.
The food is more Indian than international. The staff is substandard. I don’t know if they practice the shift policy as I kept bumping in to Om from morning till as late as 11 pm!
For the kind of money one is paying and for a private island experience, I was expecting a lot more. The health faucet in my in laws room was leaking. It was temporarily fixed and with that when my mum in law entered the bathroom, she slipped on the water which had started from the leakage yet again! She just managed to avert a major disaster! The ceiling in my bathroom leaked on to the wash basin which made it permanently wet!
After a chlorine dip, one would want to have a decent fresh water bath and also treat the hair with some dignity and give it the deserving nutrients through a conditioner. Having asked them twice, they got it once! Imagine it not being there from the first place! A hand soap is essential for every basin in the john! Yet, for two basins, they had one hand soap. Bottles of water were also replenished only once daily! Two 500 ml bottles for two people seemed to me like being penny wise pound foolish!
At every meal, one had to ask for dirty dishes to be cleared, for ice water to be served, for hot food and alas for a chair for the fourth person.
Overall, I felt that they can do a lot more with the place if only Mr. Tata himself or Mr. Bickson emphasizes on the training and upkeep of the staff. They have leased this for 17 odd years and have completed about 4 years of the total. My personal feeling is that this is the step cousin of the group and is being treated thus so!
If you can, avoid coming here, better spend a lot more and go treat yourself to the Berjaya, or the Tanjung Rhu or even the Andaman.
I should have heeded my colleagues advice of staying at the Tanjung Rhu!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Rajiv78
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Getting there has been a bit of a challenge as our taxi driver had to find out himself during the ride where to go… so we were exhausted (and I was also scared) when arriving at a deserted pier where he dropped us with no explanation. The hotel speed boat arrived after a short while and took us to Rebok Island (we didn’t even know that it was on another little island but where happy to discovered the super-exclusivity of our stay haha) where the Resort is situated (the speed boat rides were the best part of the whole stay!). There a Fantasy Island feel overcame me when we were picked up at the pier by white golf carts and taken to the reception. Nice (creepy?) staff made the check-in, explained and took us to the room at the sea, again by golf cart (they love driving around with these things and you should use the free service as often as possible as it really seem to make them happy!).

All in all: nice rooms, nice island (we did not really explore but you can get bikes or walk around. We were too lazy and stayed only at the pool the three days we’ve been there).

Food ok, but rather expensive, diving excursion ok but very touristy, pool ok but too many children, French fries at the pool great but pricy, beach nice, monkeys and some other animals to spot, service & staff nice but the Fantasy Island feel is creepy, sorry can’t help it…

Again? Probably not (especially for that really crazy rate we paid as it was over Christmas) but for once it was nice… well maybe… but just for the speedboat ride!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank Room26London
Reviewed 9 August 2011

We had wonderful time at Taj Rebak, Hotel organised the airport pick up, check in was really easy, we chose sea view superior room which was awesome. Food was awesome, specially availability of Indian food in that part of Malaysia was a major benefit. Chef Dinesh took really good care of us, he asked us in advance what we wanted to eat in our next meal and he made sure that all our requests are fulfilled. Travel to and from the jetty to this island was not an issue and they had frequent boats going to the jetty. Room was spacious nothing fancy, bathroom was nice.Room service is ok. We were on holiday and just wanted to relax, Overall property is good.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple