“Good value but not 5-star”

Vivanta by Taj Rebak Island, Langkawi
Ranked #9 of 103 Hotels in Langkawi
Sydney, Australia
“Good value but not 5-star”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

NIce rooms [ tad dated], good food and friendly service. Lovely private beach, long happy hour at the beach-side bar, and clearly popular among families. Efficient, regular service to main island via private ferry.
However, a 5-star hotel is all about the detail - the massage for men was hopeless, no towels in fitness center [and no air-con], patchy room service, planes every 10 minutes over a 3 hour period on the beach, DVD poor quality copies and a choice of about 12...
Overall, a lovely resort and a good destination if a little let down by the detail.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We have stayed here twice, once as a big family group and the second time to just the 2 of us to celebrate our anniversary. Both times were exceptional. Everyone was friendly and would go out of their way to help us. I would recommend this hotel for anyone. The only drawback was that it was in an island on its own and you had to be back at a certain time or you would miss the ferry.

Definitely recommend this hotel for family & couples alike.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Stefwoz
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I had been to this Resort recently and I am really glad to choose this Taj resort in spite of other 5 Star hotels. Since, I always book Hotel after checking reviews from TripAdvisor so, its my responsibility to share my experience as well.

I enjoyed my stay thoroughly from Jetty station to resort and return. The location of this resort is amazing as its situated on an Island. The Jetty station is very near to the Airport (you get free pick up and drop). The Hotel staff and services were imitable. The rooms were good but try to get newly renovated rooms; as those are more cozy than the old ones. Overall I had a pleasant and memorable stay. The bicycle ride in morning and evening would be great to look around the Island.

I would love to revisit... :-)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GrigariousTraverler
Llandudno, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

A big THANK YOU to everyone involved in making my holiday so great.The resort is so beautifully laid out in a spectacular location.The accommodation and service was exemplary.It was the first time I had travelled on my own as previous to my 5 days at Rebak I had travelled with a friend.Every member of staff was so friendly ,nothing was too much trouble for them.I would definately come again!

Room Tip: Book a room with a seaview.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Nerysgeorge
New Zealand
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Thank you Rebak Island for an amazing 3 night stay. Greeted at the airport , taken to the jetty and transported over to the Island, Staff were excellent, all staff made us feel important. Easy check in and then we were taken to our room , all by a golf cart. Rooms were very spacious good facilities, Wi Fi.

Pools were great, and the service was brilliant especially by Anowar who kept us in bottled water and clean towels. The bar staff at the pool were also very helpful. Breakfast was the best we had experienced, out of all our three weeks overseas. Ate in the restaurant the three nights and found the meals very nice. The ferry schedule to the mainland was brilliant and we had no problems meeting the times. This was a great service. Shuttled back to airport by staff.

Used the bikes, enjoyed out nature trail, saw lots of hornbills.

The only negiative to this paradise was the mosquoties at the beach bar. Forgot to take repeliant but staff supplied us with some spray after we enquired about where to get some.

Would return - yes we would.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Colin-Helen-Morriss
new south wales
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I've been eyeing off Vivanta, Rebak Island, for a while, and a trip to Kuala Lumpur was a good excuse to spend five nights in Langkawi. Husband and I, teenagers 13 and 15 in tow, arrived at Langkawi airport on a Sunday afternoon.Immediately, there was some confusion about our arrival time.Email of our flight details had apparently not arrived. Not to worry, we had only a short wait before our ride to Port Langkasuka arrived. This is a very short trip and you are soon waiting to board your boat for the fifteen minute trip to beautiful Rebak Island.The boats leave approximately every hour till 7.45 pm.The ride is quite hot and stuffy as you are required to sit inside on most occasions, but still a lot of fun. Rebak Marina is home to some lovely boats and a small shop, and the arrival point on the island.We were met by buggy and driven to reception in a matter of minutes. Check in was quick, easy and pleasant. We were made to feel most welcome and comfortable by Abdul. Soon, we were taken to our two bedroom garden suite. I had requested an upstairs room and it was lovely. We were up in the trees. This room was only a very short walk to the pool area, equally short walk to the beach, and had a beautiful view overall. The living area is very spacious for a family and opens out to a large verandah.From here we could watch hornbills playing in the trees only metres away.The bathroom is large,and well supplied with amenities.The bedrooms were very spacious and had plenty of storage room and the whole place was cool and clean. We wandered out to take a look round and stumbled onto happy hour at Lepak bar on the beach. The drinks were very generous and we ordered very tasty pizza and snacks off the menu.What a great place to have a very inexpensive dinner in a delightful, relaxed, beach front setting.We dined here again another night and it was an equally enjoyable experience. We spent the rest of the evening listening to the live entertainment at Minum Minum Bar area and headed happily off to bed.The first challenge now was to work out the light switches.There seemed to be no logic to them at all and we spent ages switching off and on trying to darken the place enough to sleep.Then we finally got into bed.This was the hardest bed we've ever slept in.It was like lying on concrete.Lucky for me, I sleep like a log, my husband was not so lucky.He was bothered by the bed,bothered by the planes powering overhead till about 11pm and bothered by the buggies rattling past the bedroom window till even later. He did manage to sleep at last, until the middle of the night when we were both woken by the sudden screaming of the baby in the room underneath.At first, it was quite a shock, but when we woke enough to realize what it was, we just tried to go back to sleep.Sleep we did, for a few more hours,till once again we were woken by the downstairs neighbours in the very early hours of the morning, yelling to each other from room to room.It sounded as though they were actually in our bedroom, quite disturbing.I had instructed my own children to walk and talk very quietly at all times so as not to disturb the neighbours below.No such luck with them.Babies, I accept, will do whatever they want, but mums and dads should know better. By now, my husband wanted to leave.I tried to remain positive as it had been me who wanted to come here in the first place.We made our way wearily to breakfast.Thank goodness the breakfast buffet was great, if there's one thing that makes my husband happy, it's food.There were many delicious choices of western and indian food.There was an egg station where you could also order freshly prepared waffles and pancakes, a fresh juice station and a lovely view over the pool area and beach front.No complaints about breakfast at all.After a delicious and leisurely morning, we wandered into reception to see about hiring a car. The very friendly and helpful staff inquired about our night, and my husband told the story of our fractured night's sleep.They immediately said they would have a word with the guests below, which had not been our intention.That night, I'm very pleased to say, was quieter and we all appreciated it very much. We had decided to try some Lemongrass pillows off the extensive pillow menu to see if they would aid sleep and maybe they did.There was,once again,very loud conversation in the early morning but from then on it was much more peaceful.We spent the morning at the pool and beach which were both very relaxing.This became our morning routine.The pool was just right and the pool bar was open and there were enough sunbeds every day of our stay.I personally, prefer the beach, and I enjoyed swimming in it every day.It is a beautiful setting and the water is warm.There are rocks at low tide but I was never bothered by these at high tide when I was swimming.In the afternoon we hopped a ferry into Port Langkasuka. There are always taxis waiting to meet the boat and the trip into Cenang was short and cheap enough.We had fun shopping in the main street before stopping into a restaurant called Sunset Boulevard, for dinner. What a great find that was. The food was excellent. Tasty, fresh, beautifully prepared and presented.The service was very friendly and at the end of our meal we were given delicious complimentary desserts.Dinner was cheap. What more could we ask for? We returned twice more for a dinner and a late lunch. Every visit was just as good.Following dinner, we jumped a cab for the quick trip back to Port Langkasuka for the last ferry at 7.45pm. It is possible to get a ferry at 8.45pm and 10.30pm if you arrange it first with the ferry staff. This enables you to attend the night markets if you want to, but is not general knowledge.The next day we spent the morning at the pool and beach before heading to Kuah Town for a look around.The very best things there were Eagle Square and Chogm park.Both are well worth a visit. Shopping may be a little cheaper, but we were much happier shopping in Cenang. On our last day we hired a car through the resort with a minimum of fuss and picked it up at 9.00am from the first ferry.We headed straight to Langkawi Cable Car.It had been closed every day so far and it was something I really wanted to see. We were in luck, it was up and running. Arriving so early meant we didn't have any wait and we took the ride to the top. The view is spectacular. The ride is awesome and it was a great experience. Back down at the Oriental Village below, we had a great time shopping.We all had a fish spa, which is one of our favourite things, and left well pleased with out visit. We drove on to the Komplex Kraf in Mukim Bohor,where you can see and buy beautiful local handcrafts, and onto Black Sand Beach. Onwards through Kuah Town again and finally back to Cenang for early dinner at our favourite restaurant.It was a very productive day.The car hire was about $50 Australian dollars and worth it. My husband had by now discovered that he could have a late dessert buffet at Senari restaurant.For 30 ringgit,he could eat his fill of superbly prepared dessert dishes.He was in heaven. It was a lovely way to finish the night and staff at Senari were friendly and attentive.On our last evening, we arrived back on the last ferry and were whisked to our room by buggy. The lovely young man who had been looking after our room all week, Mohsin, was waiting with a delightful surprise.He had beautifully decorated our bed with swans and flower petals. It was a really touching gesture and we were humbled. On our last day we were able to have a very late check out and enjoy the resort right up until the last minute before our late night flight back to Australia. This finished off our stay beautifully. We were able to make a leisurely and trouble free departure that left us feeling very pleased with our stay. After the earlier hiccups, my husband decided he liked Rebak after all. He likes to run and found ample roads to run whilst enjoying the incredible natural beauty of the island. I thought the whole place was picture postcard beautiful, and the kids loved everything about it. The service was mostly great, the food was always great, and staff were lovely. We never did triumph over the crazy light switches but when I asked if he'd like to stay somewhere else on a future visit to Langkawi, he was quick to say it would definitely be at Rebak Island again, so it must have been good.Later at the airport we spoke to some fellow travellers who had spent a disappointing week at the Sheraton and had never even heard of Vivanta Rebak Island. What a shame for them!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank funhunters
Asansol, West Bengal, India
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We were on our honeymoon and we simply loved every moment of our stay there(16th-19th March, 2014)
The very first experience of reaching there by the boat service to reach the Rebak island, was simply amazing.

While checking in we were greeted by Mr Sandip Mukherjee,GM, Vivanta, Rebak Island Langkawi.
We were very much touched personally with his approach & his efforts to make our stay wonderful. The gentle words from him and his wife made us feel beautiful and happy.

The room was excellent and so was the service. The staffs are superb.

Food was too good. I still can't get over the roti canai we had there. The breakfast was lovely.

There was the activity desk with this guy (i apologize for not remembering his name), who could read minds i think and knew what exactly we want to do. The idea of cycling around the island was too good.

The only thing i would like to suggest is that they can arrange for more comfortable and cozy seats at the theatre where movies are played during evening.

The view of the jetty with boats standing was amazing.

A special thanks to Sumon.. who took us all the beautiful places around the islandin his buggy and helped us with our photoshoot.

We again congratulate and thank Mr Mukherjee and his team for making our stay so beautiful and perfect.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple