The rebak resort is certainly a great resort to stay at, for reasons I list below. I think the point to emphasise first though is around the location. Being located on it's own island, you're at the mercy of a ferry schedule, and then at the mercy of taxi drivers at the other end who know you have little option but to take them to go on trips or out for dinner. On the other hand, if you're after seclusion and pure relaxation then this is ideal. Although we're of the former disposition, given the great value of the place we found I'm still happy with our choice.
A few positives/areas for improvement:
+ Very helpful, friendly service from every single member of staff throughout our 5 night stay. A few 'stars' around who were good for conversation and anticipated what we were after right away.
- It would have been even better to have more 'stars', as although very friendly and utterly determined to be helpful, many of the staff just didn't have strong enough English language skills to deal with more complicated requests (noticeable especially at meals, any special requests or altering our order made for a bit of a chore).
+ our room was excellent, not at all tired, real 5* quality (e.g. his and hers sink, very spacious bathroom, walk in shower). Was very clean, and was cleaned superbly every day.
+ As long as you request it, you can get wireless internet within reach of your room - this was great for me as I'm an addict - although it is very slow - but just very happy to have it in Langkawi
+ Breakfast was very good, as others have mentioned
- The rest of the food was good, but overpriced i feel due to the absence of any competition on the island e.g. MYR45 (£9) + 10% svc for beef rendang, which can be easily had for MYR15 (£3) in a restaurant on the mainland.
- I was surprised to be disappointed by the cocktails - they're actually well priced, especially at happy hour, look very good but then taste very watered down - none of them had any 'kick' whatsoever, even when I asked for them to be made strong. In one instance, I saw half of my tumbler being filled with rum, half with coke - and yet still I could barely taste a hint of rum! That was just our experience anyway. My benchmark on our holiday in Asia incidentally had to be the Traders skybar in KL - 'deluxe margherita'there is magnificent
+ Really beautiful resort, very well kept grounds, great pool, tennis, table tennis, pool table available.
+Finally, I think it's only fair to review in the context of the price paid - we paid £63 a night through Expedia (don't book through the hotel's own website), which compared to other 5* hotels on Langkawi is very cheap indeed - For this price, the resort is absolutely excellent value, just do price in the cost of lots of taxis or relatively expensive food and drink before you make your decision.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are a 5 Star Private Island Resort, off Langkawi. The journey to this property takes 20 minutes by ground transfer from Langkawi Airport to Port Cenang and 7 Minutes boat ride from Port Cenang to Rebak Island. The resort is located adjacent to the only fully equipped private island marina in Malaysia. Our Exotic Rebak Motifs are Nature Trails, Jungle Walks, Moon Deck Dining,Batik Painting, Mangrove Tours and Sunset Cruise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Agoda, DerbySoftTaj, Southall Travel, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Vivanta by Taj Rebak Island, Langkawi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.