“Just a really good place”
Review of Zackry Guest House

Zackry Guest House
Ranked #4 of 145 Langkawi B&B and Inns
Petaluma, California
“Just a really good place”
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

If you have stayed in guest houses in Southeast Asia. You really only want a couple of things. Clean room, decent working bathroom, possibly hot water, and good Internet. Well they have all this and more. Friendly people with a great common room, honor system with beers and sodas in fridge. Free coffee, tea and water! Great Internet in your room. And the rooms were just fine. Great shower. It's a bit off the path but that is always fine by me. Nothing fancy just a great place to lay your head.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JahJeremy

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We had such a good time staying at Zackry's guesthouse, Sam is a great guy and really good at making sure everyone staying there socializes and has a laugh. He is all about having a good time.
We organised hire of 2 cars between 10 of us and Sam took us around the island showing us places that weren't on the tourist map and making sure we all got to see/do the things we wanted to see/do and it worked out cheaper including fuel than renting motorbikes (it was a nice change to relax with some aircon and the radio on!). We also went for a local-style roti breakfast which was great as we wouldn't have stumbled across half of the things we went to had we done the trip on our own. There's also the opportunity to do a spot of fishing in the back garden..!
There's also a kitchen so you can cook your own food / water and tea bags etc.

Location-wise it's about a 20-25 minute walk from the hostel to Underwater World in the main stretch of the town, and about a 7 minute walk to the nearest beach.
I'd recommend staying here if you are a backpacker looking for basic digs and wanting to meet other backpackers. We are 22 and 23 and on a budget!

Thanks Sam for a great time in Langkawi! Lots of love, Ellie and Sam (Sam number 2)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Kuching, Malaysia
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I really enjoy staying at Zackry Guest House for my Christmas vacation!
I thought i have booked a dorm bed but i actually get a single room at here, that really make me happy when i am checking in on 24 December 2013.
My room is simple but comfortable(single room with fan), i sleep well. I can lock my stuff in safety cabinate in my own room when i am going to beach. There is only one share shower room near to me, but it big enough for me to dance inside, ha. The guest house also provide free plain water and hot water for us in the open hall.
Haha, I am having a great time with a lots of new friends from several country such as England, Germany, Netherland, USA, Switzerland and France when joining the Christmas party which organise by guest house.
Mr. Zackry is a cool guy, he look like not care about us but actually he care! Haha. I sit with him at the balcony in second night, he complaint that i am not a good listener and telling me a lots of great story. Then, we having "philosophy conference" all night long, haha, it's fun.
Sam as a staff in the guest house, he is a funy and happening guy, he always give me chance to sing in the gathering and present myself as well, haha, we are playing "King cup" together and he create plenty of joke which make us laugh a lots. Pik is nice and cheerful, she always smile and taking photo about us when we are gather together.
This place is suitable for socialable backpackers, i like this guest house's people and environment very much. I definately will come again if i am going to Langkawi.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Karlsruhe, Germany
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I am based in KL for work and sometimes i need a weekend getaway in Langkawi. The only Guesthouse which I prefer it´s Zackry´s!

My reasons to go there;

-Clean Rooms
-Nice Common Area
-Nice Stuff! (They take you around and are willing to do something with you!)
-Convenient Location (Beach 5 min, Scooter Rentals 1 min, fake 7 eleven Stores 2 min)

And it is a phantastic deal! I don´t know where else you´ll get such a good value for money in Langkawi!

To the other reviews:

Sometimes i couldn´t understand the people who complaining about the guesthouse, i think a lot of people expecting a 5 star hotel for 9 dollars a night!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Damp and smelly bed, stinky bathroom, dirty common area.. I don't want to complain about the facilities. Because it's cheap guesthouse for backpackers. But the worst was the staff, Sam. The big guy. He was really rude and unfriendly. He was rude and cold to every asian and friendly to particular person, western girls. His attitude made us really uncomfortable while we stayed.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank JANUARY201991
zackryghouse, Owner at Zackry Guest House, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Thank you for the review. However we always wonder as how this review was made as we do not have locals staying in our place. One of particular reason as our place seems too basic (no TV in the room). As said, we will endeavor to make all guests' stay as comfortable as possible. Though we wish we could provide all our guests with high thread-count bed linens, over-sized, plush bath towels, feather beads, and the most sophisticated amenities, please remember we are a budget hostel. Five-star service comes with a five-star price. We offer basic accommodation at an affordable cost, which is why you chose to spend your money here at the first place. As for the communication, it is always two ways anyway.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Very sociable and fun place to stay. Sam, who looks after everyone there, is a big help and quite a character...you will see. He can take you to lesser visited spots and organise fishing trips and ventures round the night market (a must do!).5 mins walk from a great beach too.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Great for single travellers or people who are up for meeting others. The workers really made us feel at home and showed us fab things in langkawi! The private rooms were comfortable and basic but all you need for a lovely stay!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends