“Frustrating experience”
Review of Malibest Resort

Malibest Resort
Ranked #28 of 104 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed 23 May 2014

we occupy the teluk kemarung room which cost rm190 per night..we actually reach the resort around 1030pm..exhausted n just wanna get a good night sleep..but NOoo.. the porter was kind enough to help with our luggage but eventually snapped off the handle which makes my luggage useless.i was really angry and the porter promise to buy me a new one next morning. Ok fine..but as i got into the shower..about 2-3 minutes..i realised that the main drainage was clogged..all tge water spilled out into the room..demmm..and when i called the front office..the security pick it up and said.."sorry i security only" manager already gone back..haiyoooohh..i dont know what else going to ruin my much needed vacation tomorrow by these guys..one word of advise..DONT COME HERE

• Stayed: May 2014
There are newer reviews for Malibest Resort

Reviewed 18 May 2014

OK – so where do I begin to write an accurate review for Malibest ‘Resort’?

Malibest is a bit of an enigma – in so many ways it could be terrific, but in many others ways it’s all a bit of a disaster. For what it’s worth, here’s a re-cap on the experience we had during our four-day stay.

First up, reception and check in!

Now I travel a lot (at the time of writing I’ve submitted nearly 200 reviews to TA), and I have to say that the check in at Mailbest was categorically the worst check in experience I’ve ever had! Bar none.

We had made the short journey across from Rebak Island (you can read that review below) and we arrived at around 1pm. There were some signs up clearly saying check in was 3pm and we were quite happy to drop our bags and wander back at a later time. So I approached the desk and there were three young women on duty. Not one of them looked up or acknowledged me, even though they knew I was there. When I finally got their attention there were no smiles, no welcome, no hello. Nothing! So much for a good first impression!!!

Anyway, the woman eventually explained that the room was not ready until 3pm and we settled the amount we owed by credit card, however the young woman then demanded 100 MYR for a key deposit in cash. This, in spite of my emails asking for assurance that we would be able to settle our bill with a card. Luckily we had plenty of cash on us, but for travellers on a tight budget this could create a bit of an issue.

When we returned at 3pm, again the staff made no attempts of eye contact, courtesy or any hint of professionalism. Once I gained someone’s attention I was issued with my room key and was told to wait as someone would come and show us to our room. After a few minutes a young man arrived, grabbed our bags and took off towards our room with us in tow. Again, no welcome, hello, smile or anything, he just grabbed our bags and left!

Now please understand I am not a whinny or overtly fussy traveller at all, but the very basics of customer service by those on the front line may in fact be a good idea!!!

So we were off to a bad start.

However, when we arrived at our room, it was indeed total beach frontage, and having done some homework on TA, the room itself was pretty much as we had expected. It was small and rough, but clean and comfy enough for our needs. After all, it fronted a million dollar beach view!

My only real problem with our room was that the drains in the bathroom blocked easily, which meant the bathroom flooded when showering. The rooms had a safe, a fan, a fridge and an air conditioner. But do be aware, these rooms are more like a beach shack or bungalow rather than a hotel room, and Malibest is certainly not a ‘resort’ in any true sense of the word. So if you like all the comforts of home on your holidays this style of accomm may not be for you.

The location is quite simply amazing. We had a beach front room and it quite literally on the beach. Wonderful.

However, we quickly found that for us (middle aged travellers), it’s beauty was also in many ways its beast.

Because of the beach frontage, there were no ‘resort’ boundaries as you would find at most other properties, such as a small wall, or fence or plants. Nothing at all to separate you and your bunglow from the throngs of beachgoers.

Now again, I acknowledge that this may not be a problem for everyone, but for us, we simply felt like there was no sense of privacy at all. For example, the two plastic chairs on our porch would often disappear as beach goers grabbed them to have a few drinks on the beach. Other properties further down the beach did have this sense of separation, but not so at Mailbest.

For us this problem was exacerbated by the fact that a rather large family of Indians had moved in the same day as us. They had taken over a number of rooms including the one next door to us, which, because it was on the beach, quickly became the preferred collection point for the entire family – and if you know anything about Indian tourists, they have a tendency to speak over the top of one another and are very loud.

This added to our lack of privacy in two ways. Firstly, we quickly realized that the adjoining doors between the bungalows were far from soundproof. Secondly, the rooms are set up with a couple of bench chairs right outside your front window (which in turn is right near your bed), and again, these benches tended to become a congregation point for the Indian neighbors and others throughout our visit. At one point I opened the curtains at about 11pm one night to literally see an entire family of about 12 people sitting in a large noisy circle eating their dinner right outside our window (in which we were trying to sleep)

Now in most hotels this would not be such a problem, as you’d call reception and the staff would help you out, but at Malibest you have no phone in your room and staff with a care factor of zero. There was no sight of any sort of security personnel and even the cleaning staff would not say hello or engage in any sort of positive customer engagement. On a couple of occasions they didn’t even leave us any toilet paper when servicing the room!

Now, having said all that, our nightmare stay changed considerably on our final day, when a plane, clearly heading for Mumbai, took all of the noisy Indians away. Immediately the atmosphere of the entire resort changed. The beach was much more relaxed and the pace much less frantic (and noisy).

I know we were in some respects victims of circumstance, and that it is perhaps unfair to Malibest to blame them for the noisy neighbors, but I think that it is important to let readers know that this little piece of paradise may not be quite what you may hope.

So in short:
10 out of 10 for location
3 out of 10 for the room
1 out of 10 for staff

If you are young, young at heart, used to back-packer accommodation or simply just really easy going, you might find Malibest to your liking. If you fall into any other category, please do your homework.

One other consideration, which other reviews have alluded to, is the large building project at the rear of the property. Being on the beachfront this did not bother us at all, but if you had a room at the rear of the property, I imagine this may be a huge issue.

If interested, here’s my review of Rebak Island as an alternative - http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g298283-d557775-Reviews-Rebak_Island_Resort_A_Taj_Hotel-Langkawi_Langkawi_District_Kedah.html

Other options on this stretch of beach to check out might be AB Hotel or Casa Del Mar.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank ozvpm_andy
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I had booked a hotel through Agoda. A day before arrival, I called the hotel to re-check the booking. I was informed by the resort staff that the room booked under Agoda, will be reserved the other side of the road and not beachside. Immediately I upgraded the room to the beachside room and luckily for the three nights of my stay, I managed to stay at the beachside room for two night. I needed to top up RM100. The first night was at the roadside room, but the room was good, with two double beds, spacious and clean. The beach side room with 2 single beds, smaller than the roadside room. But the view was splendid. I could see the sea right from the window. The scenery was beautiful. From 3 pm onwards, so many people at the beach. Right in front of my room, we were given two chairs, but those chairs gone. We sat right in front of the hotel and we could see almost everyday, a group of more than ten males, playing beach football. Surrounding a bit noisy and too crowded. So if you are looking for a privacy place, I do not recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Ask for a single block beach side room such as Bebilis. For a semi detached room, you could hear th...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mazia
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed here on our last trip to Malaysia. Our stay was in March 2014. all the rooms are sea facing. our superior deluxe was fantastic. its location in pantai chenang together with a sea facing room is simply fabulous .. of course the rooms are sandy.. but what do u expect when u stay right on the beach .. its just unavoidable.. right? so thats the case here.. the staff are super friendly .. and this place is a value for money... if ur on budget and looking for a sea facing place.. this is where u want to be

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

We booked through a travel agency and were given a room beside the construction area which was noisy in the mornings. Other than that, this is really the right choice for those who are on budget; its directly in front of the beach!

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We stay in superior deluxe room that have 2 queen bed....but we got on upper floor rooms..but its ok...its really a good spot to stay....it even got a tree house!! Just awesome....the room is affordable...suits both romantic, family, friends vacation....located in pantai cenang which is the main attraction...easy to move around...next to the sea

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank syakir a
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Stayed in Malibest Resort (Teluk Beliki room) for about 2 nights. Staffs are friendly and helpful. The room is okay with basic accomodation provided (aircon, fridge, tv), but quite slippery and need to request for a floor towel ourselves, which should be provided earlier. The room booked is not facing the beach, but still not that far from the beach. This is definitely not a place for 4 5 star travellers, but an ideal place for backpackers or solo traveller. If coming here again to langkawi, would probably stay again, since this is the only hotel known facing directly to the beach.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family