“Great food, great service, great environment. .. ”
Review of The Gulai House

The Gulai House
Ranked #32 of 466 Restaurants in Langkawi
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Indian, Malaysian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

A great way to get to know malay food. We've been here two times during our hollidays and all food we ordered was absolutely delicious.
The Gulai House team is more than willing to guide you through the menu, and assist you to pick the most suitable option for you.

3  Thank José C

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Wow what an amazing place this was! Great place to dine if your celebrating a special occaison or wanting to enjoy a romantic meal in a natural rainforest setting.

We arrived at the Datai which looked like a beautiful hotel. We were greeted by a member of the front desk staff, who arranged a buggy to the restaurant. The buggy driver who I think was called Anwar was genuine, friendly and very kind. He took me and my wife around the hotel grounds and the private beach area. He knew how to take great picture too!!

When we arrived at the restaurant we were greeted with a warm welcome by smiley faces. The decor matched the natural rainforest theme, the ambience was relaxing and the food was delicious. The food on offer was of Indian / Asian theme. There was also a sea food counter too. We recieved a fantastic and attentive service all evening from the moment we arrived to the moment we left.

We had such a memorable evening and would definately come back if we returned to this beautiful Island.

4  Thank MrandMrsOomer
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We were staying at the Datai and being curry lovers my wife and I gave it a try....
So glad we did, the food was amazing, best butter chicken, banana fritters EVER.
Freshly cooked and great service made for a lovely experience. We ate here so often over 2 weeks that we pretty much had our own table with a view into the woodland and the chef came out to thank us for eating there and even gave my wife the secret recipe for the fritters. Car ride to the restaurant and a romantic stroll home along the beach by moonlight...Perfect.

3  Thank Chumpkin
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This restaurant is set amongst the rainforest; you feel like you are part of the forest, listening to the wonderful sounds of nature. Oh, and the food and service is fantastic. Lots of fresh seafood, I had a wonderful lobster with mango salad; my husband a terrific prawn curry. Presentation of food is so appetising and it tasted as food as it looked. It is a little expensive but well worth it for the experience.

3  Thank Rita-Marie Y
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I ate at the Gulai House on 25 April with my husband. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty. Even though we had not requested any special treatment (ie we didn't highlight we were on honeymoon or celebrating anything significant) we were given this lovely table that was set slightly away from the main restaurant. It was unbelievably romantic. It was private, candle lit and you could hear the wonderful noises from the rainforest. Thank you so much Gulai House for doing this at is made our meal a very memorable experience.

The food was very delicious and presented very nicely. I would highly recommend the lamb shank. The service was great. I would like to particularly mention Carlo who was so kind and friendly.

The only thing which stopped me giving the Gulai House five stars is it's price. I know it is based in one of the more exclusive resorts of Langkawi but nonetheless, it was a bit expensive. Our three course meal with soft drinks cost £80. I am glad I still went and would love to have eaten there again but the price sadly kept me away.

3  Thank Tam1985