“Location perfect”
Review of Cerana Guesthouse

Cerana Guesthouse
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kota Bharu
Cerana Guesthouse
Ranked #26 of 61 Kota Bharu B&B and Inns
New Zealand
“Location perfect”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

We stayed at the Cerana for RM40 per night. Double bed and own bathroom. Room was clean.
Cerana is perfectly located for the public bus station that gets you to and from Kuala Besut and the Perhentian Islands. A mere 2 blocks. It is located on a quiet back street with a (concrete) park and tree's across the road where our host played soccer with friends each night. Also a 5 minute walk to the night market and about 8 minutes to the night food market. All the shops you need between Cerana and the bus station. There is a common lounge and kitchen with filtered water. TV and DVD's and books available. Great for a couple of nights. Host was organised and helpful getting us to the train to the jungle railway.

Room Tip: Ask for the double room at the end of the hallway has own bathroom. Only a cold shower but outside...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Good social feel, clean, reasonable accommodation. Problem is the staff are never about. We checked ourselves in made our own bed, at some point someone arrived to clean the bathrooms but we didn't see them( to a good standard), breakfast was never avaliable, other regular guests helped us with our enquiries. It did give it a relaxed easy going feel but this total disorganisation it daft. Only that we are good honest, karma fearing tourists we slid the room rate under the staff door and checked ourselves out. Crazy

• Stayed January 2012
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Long story short, one of the staff members exposed himself to me as we drove to the train station. The ride was through a rural area around 6:15 AM.

He tried to excuse it but it was a long ride with him fully exposed.

It could have been very terrifying and have ended quite badly had I not been able to stay calm.

Please, please do not stay here and do not let any of your friends stay here - especially your female friends! Maybe this was an isolated incident but...

I am an experienced, international traveler in my thirties. I am very conscious of respecting local customs and make sure that I dress and act appropriately. There is nothing that I did to even remotely justify his actions.

Barring this incident, the guesthouse needs a lot of work. It has the potential to be quite nice but it is absolutely filthy. I stayed for two nights and found two cockroaches; one in my room and another in a bathroom. If they would just give the place a serious scrubbing, that would probably help immensely. I am not anticipating spotlessly clean rooms but this was simply filthy.

But, until this guy is let go, you should not stay there!!! Please.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Bonnevoyage98

Travellers are raving about these Kota Bharu hotels

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Kota Bharu is usually considered a stop over place for other destinations, such as the Perhentian islands, however, if you stay over for a couple of days, I would recommend this little hostel. It is run by 2 young friendly fellows who are open to explain you the different attractions of the place and discuss about the culture and customs of the region. We stayed in a double bed room. It was relatively small and with a fan, however, there are some others with AC. The shared bathrooms (Malaysia style - toilet and shower together) were clean and one had hot water. They have a small common area, a small balcony and offer bread, coffee and jelly for breakfast. The price of the room was more than affordable and we were able to reach all the spots by foot. Ok, they shall probably buy some new bed linen, but in general, I would stay there again...

Room Tip: If you can pay a little more, go for the AC rooms. It is hot there in June.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Guillerm0_G0nzalez
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed 2 July 2011

Stayed three nights while nursing a cold before going to perhentians. Stayed in a/c room with shared bathroom.

The room was fairly clean, but we opted to use our own silk sacks for bedding. The a/c unit struggled to work but kept the room just cool enough.

The common bathrooms are a disaster - grotty, overused and undercleaned (any dirtier and I probably would have opted to stay elsewhere). The common hallway smells musty and dank because of the bathrooms. Needs work.

Staff fairly helpful in answering questions, sending out laundry, and getting cab to islands. Wifi password known and worked well.

If this is one of the better options in town I'd be scared to see the others. That being said the room itself was bearable.

• Stayed July 2011
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 27 May 2011

I stayed at Cerana 2 nights and was not very pleased with the guesthouse and staff.
Room is quite compact and dark, view is not really noice (see picture enclosed). There were some tape everywhere to fix broken things in the room.
We had a bathroom enclosed, which was clean at least. It was very small and sink was outside the bathroom, just next to the bed. Quite strange arrangement...
Staff was the worst part, they were unable to give me the wifi code, they did not remember it... I had to do a combination of the different wrong passwords they gave me. They were sleeping all the time. I dont really bother this point BUT once we said we wanted to go to Perhentians, they suddenly woke up and proposed their package to go there. We said we wanted to see this later but they asked 5 times while we were watching a movie in the comon room. Then, when we left, a guy asked me how many nights we had stayed and how much was the room??? After he asked me again where we were going and suddenly they were 4 guys arround me to sell their package again. I said I didn't want and we leflt.
For me it's the kind of guesthouse which is only interested in making money on selling their package, they dont care about guests and they're quite useless.
By the way you can find a boat ticket in Kuala Besut for much cheaper! (10 or 15 RM less)

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mimimundo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 9 October 2010

We stayed in this guesthouse on our way to pulau perhentians for 1 night. It was quite difficult to look for good places as the lonely planet said not too much about hostels in Kota Bharu.
The staff was very friendly. They offered us a taxi ride from Kota Bhara to Kota Besut from where you can take a boat to the perhentians. The taxi ride was from their guest house and it was only RM 40. Which was a very good and reasonable price.
The place is run by 1 (or 2) boys who really seem to have fun in what they do and they are very relaxed. There is also a computer with internet that you can use and also free coffee and thee.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple