“Enchanting retreat. Charm & beauty in a tranquil setting.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Villa Danialla Beach Resort

Villa Danialla Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 38 Hotels in Kota Bharu
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
“Enchanting retreat. Charm & beauty in a tranquil setting.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

I have visited this place 4 times and it has never lost its charm. Since it's opening, I have witnessed the changes from a small resort and slowly blossoming into a bigger one. More rooms were constructed, each with its own unique beauty. More amenities were provided and refurbishments were carried out only to make it even more beautiful.

I have stayed in Villa Sarah, Villa Haflyn, Villa Hamat, Villa Matahari... All rooms has a lovely exquisite decor. All are comfy and clean. Loved the beds, clean sheets and pillows. I sleep soundly everytime. Clean toilets.

The infinity pool is mesmerizing, I enjoyed my morning/evening swims. The sauna and the bamboo shower back to back session was amazing. Also, the beach is completely breath-taking. Stunning view, priceless. Especially when it's sunny and blue. The restaurant has an open concept as it has a lovely breeze from the sea, with beautiful setting to make you enjoy your meals be it day or night. For entertainment, there's a TV area for you to watch various channels or even watch DVDs. Upstairs, above the restaurant, there's an American Pool Table. I enjoy playing a couple of rounds and have drinks/chill with my friends there.

Food is delicious. Varies from local delicacies to western delights. Staff is very friendly, to help you with anything and make a pleasant stay.

I would truly recommend everyone to come to this place as it is the perfect getaway, be it if you come with friends, family, and even your lover. Til now, I'm surprised anyone would ever give bad reviews of this place, as my stays have all been wonderful. I'd revisit this place over and over again. I suggest you to come around and see it for yourself to have an incredible experience!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank alianarogue

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Indonesian first
Kota Bharu
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

Just got back from Villa Danialla a few days ago. My experience was not as bad as the previous reviewer but it was not pleasant either. The resort itself and its surrounding was very beautiful (or used to be) I could see meticulous planning being put in choosing the design and the decor of the resort and I really admired the taste the owner had. A pity though that it was not as meticulously maintained. Although I'd say the exterior of the resort was generally clean and picturesque, we could see old shower cubicles, aired laundry and workers ironing clothes under some of the villas.
We got the cheapest room at the resort. RM300 per night for 4 people (Villa Ombak). The room was very spacious and so was the bathroom. There were one king sized and queen sized beds. Decor was simple and practical. The TV was the old fashioned one with antennae. Only got 3 local channels and not clear ones at that. Friends from other rooms complained they did not get any channels or got channels that they couldn't understand. Complaint to the resort provided no action. Towels were stained and smelled bad. Haven't they heard bleach before?
Pillows were moldy and very dirty. Luckily I read reviews (which showed the resort did nothing about it) and brought my own cases to cover the pillows.
When we arrived, water in the beautiful infinity pool was very dirty but I guess they changed it after. Was quite annoyed when they kept reminding strict pool attire even with pool water that was so dirty.
The reason I said the resort had no soul because we did not feel welcomed there. The resort management kept giving 'reminders' like pool attire, ending activities on time etc.. The owner was around but made no effort to welcome us but watched from afar and carried about doing her own business. The way we were treated made us feel like we were paying discounted price for a premium place.
There was no wifi signal at all throughout the stay and no toiletries. I saw in their FB page they are using Crabtree & Evelyn but not even cheap shower gel was provided. Maybe that only applies for the RM1800 per night room. Breakfast and meals offered limited choice but tasted good.
Overall, it could've been a beautiful stay if we had felt more welcomed. I hope they will improve and drop the 'we-are-above-you-because-we-cater-for-foreigners-staying-and-paying-more' attitude.

Room Tip: pay a lot more to get better service?
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank AiNGEL83
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

My family and I booked ourselves into this villa and boy oh boy did we get a shock of our lives!
8 people checked into 3 rooms at 8.00pm on Wednesday 27 June 2012
At 10.30pm on Wednesday 27 June 2012 , we rang the Duty Manager, Sarah Saiful, to inform her that we are checking out the next morning and wish to request a refund for the rooms. We are only going to pay for one night at RM800.
We paid a deposit of RM2,025 and would be expecting a refund of at least RM1,200.

•Conditions of the rooms were unsatisfactory
•There was faeces in the living room
•Dusty and dirty tables and chairs in the living room
•A frog and leeches in one bedroom
•Ant infestation in all three rooms
•Dusty bedroom floors in all three rooms – Floors were not swept
•Sandy and dusty bed sheets with strands of hair in all the beds in the three rooms
•The bed sheets on numerous beds in the three rooms were blood stained
•Mouldy pillows in one bedroom
•Tattered pillowcases in one bedroom
•Blood stained curtains in one bedroom
•Faulty window handles attached with improvised cooking tongs in one bedroom
•Stained towels in two bedrooms
•Toilet hose not working in one bedroom
•No programming available on television – No reception of all channels in all three rooms.
•Lipstick stained drinking glasses in one bedroom
•Dusty armchairs causing skin rash
•Dirty and murky swimming pool
•Duty manager (Sarah Saiful) refused to see us when we requested to meet to discuss the condition of the rooms. We waited for almost 90 minutes but Duty Manager refused to meet us. Junior hotel staff was left to deal with us.
•Duty Manager’s friend, who was the Operational Manager (Farhana), eventually came to see us but was very rude and arrogant in dealing with us. She refused to advise us of the appropriate escalation channels for us to raise our concerns and to request the refunds. She also refused to tell us the name of the owner, despite advising us that only the owner of the property is authorised to process refund. She informed us that the owner oh the hotel is in Azerbaijan, and then suggested we travel there to speak to the owner.
•Duty manager immediately fled the property via the back entrance without responding to our request to meet her.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
43 Thank myriamb427

Travellers are raving about these Kota Bharu hotels

Petaling Jaya
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

Upon booking accommodation at Villa Danialla for my friends and I, I looked up the reviews and was taken aback but we kept an open mind. My friends and I returned today from a lovely time at Villa Danialla thanks to the hospitable staff at the resort.We are Malaysians from KL and not foreigners, just for the record. They also helped arrange for a birthday cake for my friend that first night and it was YUMMMYYY.
From the time I was picked up at the airport and my friends later that same evening, the staff were polite and friendly, offering suggestions and asking after us throughout our stay. Even when my slippers were mistakenly removed, they were apologetic and explained what happened after I made a complaint.
When I checked in, the room and the bathroom had a musky smell which I suspect is from not airing the room and it was quickly rectified with air freshener we purchased from the supermarket. That night we slept well. I would like to recommend the installation of ventilators in the bathroom and I hope it will be rectified in time.
As we are all seasoned travellers and came prepared with our own toiletries. So not having proper toiletries, was no issue to us. I am not sure why people do not travel with their own toiletries. Whilst hotels in the cities may provide these, I have travelled enough to know that it's always good to have your own toiletries.
All in all, we had a pleasant stay and the swimming pool and the view there was just awesome. I hope people continue to visit this resort and the management continue to improve it.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank JacqSV
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

Very poor wifi, bad front office staff, dirty water stains in our room, only gave 2 breakfasts for 4 pax room, then had to pay extra for better rooms, the floor was very very dirty (sand and dirt everywhere), dirty and smelly bedsheet, clean bathroom with 2 funny refillable squeez bottle handwritten SHOWER GEL & SHAMPOO. For breakfast, we went there at 8, very less food left and 2 dirty plates left, had to ask the staff to replenish the food and get some clean plates! Ridiculous! Food was lousy! Only local fried noodles and nasi lemak, but too bad flies were there more earlier than human for the food, staff do nothing although flies were there on the food! There some fresh fruit juice too, but it taste like soap water more than the fruit, some of us had funny-taste coffee! The pool was quite nice but the water was very dirty! Overall, it was very terrible. Not recommended

• Stayed June 2012
23 Thank ar15-m4a1
Titirangi, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

We spent 1 night either direction at Villa Danialla on our trip to the Perhentian Islands. We loved it and our children (7, 4 & 2) did not want to leave.

We arranged transport through the Villa from the airport, and also to and from the Perhentian Isands, which was great. The villa was gorgeous and alot of thought had gone into the design and furnishings. The infinity pool right on the beach front was something else! Just amazing swimming in the pool and gazing out over the south China sea.

The restaurant was very smart right on the beach front. Was expensive but the food was very tasty. The buffet breakfast was delicious with lovely fresh fruit juices served with a smile!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Dwirty
Kota Bharu, Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

I was charged about rm300 for a room which was quite ok for the cost and it was so due to one of the best swimming pools there was. Just like many places in Kelantan, the stupidmalaystaffs would treat foreigners or chinese or indians better than the common malays. Some would not treat fellow kelantanese as those who paid money to stay there since we speak the same dialect and maybe look "poor". So, if you are not foreigners, do look 'rich' if you want to get good service. I saw the staffs at the cafe were trying to be their best when they saw 'mat sallehs' entering the place, but when i entered the place , nobody cares.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Grand Riverview Hotel
Grand Riverview Hotel
#4 of 38 in Kota Bharu
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resort
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resor...
#4 of 10 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
BuBu Long Beach Resort
BuBu Long Beach Resort
#1 of 7 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil

Been to Villa Danialla Beach Resort? Share your experiences!