“Very terrible”

Villa Danialla Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Kota Bharu
Reviewed 31 August 2013

visited last month. Good locaton, bad resort. Dont go to this place. Staffs are unfriendly. Owner shouted at my friend when he uses the public toilet. Worst place ive been to. I will never go back to this place anyomore.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
26  Thank Jun32

Reviewed 16 August 2013

Truly a wonderful experience. I have been privileged to stay in some of the small hotels and this one makes the top of the list. We had a truly wonderful experience... The facilities, the hotel, the rooms and the service were all great. For a memorable trip, this is the place to go.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank devonaholly
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Should be advertised for backpackers? We did not expect to learn the hard way: dusty rooms, no towel rails or hooks (at a 'beach resort') even backpackers would expect?) no hot water, no soap, disorganisation around laundry. No shelter on beach (no deck chairs or brollies). Open plan kitchen & dining cannot stop flies on food, but at least some fans could have helped. Communication was slack & reactive although we were told that they had just unexpectedly lost 6 migrant staff. Most of front line staff very young & helpful but perhaps lacking guidance & good management oversight. Service most times was 'fetched' vs offered.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank eric e
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I went there in a group where i share a room with my wife, the room and bathroom are spacious.
However some unpleasant experiences that i want share:
- the counter receptionist is not friendly
- the bed is broken, so you can hear annoying squeaking sound
- only one english tv channel, the rest are in thais, french, russian, spanish...
- food are horrible and expensive

This is the first and last time i will be going to the villa.. Not recommended to all..

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank mat d
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We checked in on 23rd March for a 3-day 2-nite stay. There were 18 of us and we took 4 Villa Ombak and 1 Villa Matahari. I personally like the Villa Ombak for its color and understated beauty.The rooms were spacious and clean. Yup some towels may be old, but they were clean. The black & white toilet decor in Villa Matahari is a winner. Oh we had crabtree and evelyn toiletries too in all our rooms. The staff was very friendly and helpful with a special mention goes to Encik Mohd Ryzal. We had an awesome bbq party on the first night and spent a marvelous time with family members by the bonfire (thank you for adding the extra). We also had the opportunity to chit chat with the owner Dato Siti at the bbq-such an elegant and charming lady. The food was simply delicious and they were very generous with the seafood (the biggest crab ever;). Kudos to the kitchen staff who prepared our meals including the scrumptious breakfast spread. What can we say? The landscape is charming and we enjoyed walking and taking photos at the place. The beach was gorgeous and breathtaking. Our family hit the beach right after subuh to enjoy the sunrise on the beautiful beach. Nieces and nephews spent loads of fun playing on the beach and in the swimming pool. Beautiful place with some privacy is just perfect for our big group. We will definitely come back to this place and try out other accommodation offered there. Some suggestions: have new ping pong tables, more peacocks and perhaps rabbits (for the smaller kids), regular cleaning of the pools and a first-aid kit ready at the reception.

Room Tip: Villa Ombak is value for money
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank MasturaLa
Reviewed 27 January 2013

I have visited this place 4 times and it has never lost its charm. Since it's opening, I have witnessed the changes from a small resort and slowly blossoming into a bigger one. More rooms were constructed, each with its own unique beauty. More amenities were provided and refurbishments were carried out only to make it even more beautiful.

I have stayed in Villa Sarah, Villa Haflyn, Villa Hamat, Villa Matahari... All rooms has a lovely exquisite decor. All are comfy and clean. Loved the beds, clean sheets and pillows. I sleep soundly everytime. Clean toilets.

The infinity pool is mesmerizing, I enjoyed my morning/evening swims. The sauna and the bamboo shower back to back session was amazing. Also, the beach is completely breath-taking. Stunning view, priceless. Especially when it's sunny and blue. The restaurant has an open concept as it has a lovely breeze from the sea, with beautiful setting to make you enjoy your meals be it day or night. For entertainment, there's a TV area for you to watch various channels or even watch DVDs. Upstairs, above the restaurant, there's an American Pool Table. I enjoy playing a couple of rounds and have drinks/chill with my friends there.

Food is delicious. Varies from local delicacies to western delights. Staff is very friendly, to help you with anything and make a pleasant stay.

I would truly recommend everyone to come to this place as it is the perfect getaway, be it if you come with friends, family, and even your lover. Til now, I'm surprised anyone would ever give bad reviews of this place, as my stays have all been wonderful. I'd revisit this place over and over again. I suggest you to come around and see it for yourself to have an incredible experience!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank alianarogue
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Just got back from Villa Danialla a few days ago. My experience was not as bad as the previous reviewer but it was not pleasant either. The resort itself and its surrounding was very beautiful (or used to be) I could see meticulous planning being put in choosing the design and the decor of the resort and I really admired the taste the owner had. A pity though that it was not as meticulously maintained. Although I'd say the exterior of the resort was generally clean and picturesque, we could see old shower cubicles, aired laundry and workers ironing clothes under some of the villas.
We got the cheapest room at the resort. RM300 per night for 4 people (Villa Ombak). The room was very spacious and so was the bathroom. There were one king sized and queen sized beds. Decor was simple and practical. The TV was the old fashioned one with antennae. Only got 3 local channels and not clear ones at that. Friends from other rooms complained they did not get any channels or got channels that they couldn't understand. Complaint to the resort provided no action. Towels were stained and smelled bad. Haven't they heard bleach before?
Pillows were moldy and very dirty. Luckily I read reviews (which showed the resort did nothing about it) and brought my own cases to cover the pillows.
When we arrived, water in the beautiful infinity pool was very dirty but I guess they changed it after. Was quite annoyed when they kept reminding strict pool attire even with pool water that was so dirty.
The reason I said the resort had no soul because we did not feel welcomed there. The resort management kept giving 'reminders' like pool attire, ending activities on time etc.. The owner was around but made no effort to welcome us but watched from afar and carried about doing her own business. The way we were treated made us feel like we were paying discounted price for a premium place.
There was no wifi signal at all throughout the stay and no toiletries. I saw in their FB page they are using Crabtree & Evelyn but not even cheap shower gel was provided. Maybe that only applies for the RM1800 per night room. Breakfast and meals offered limited choice but tasted good.
Overall, it could've been a beautiful stay if we had felt more welcomed. I hope they will improve and drop the 'we-are-above-you-because-we-cater-for-foreigners-staying-and-paying-more' attitude.

Room Tip: pay a lot more to get better service?
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
#1 of 40 in Kota Bharu
Crystal Lodge
Crystal Lodge
#3 of 40 in Kota Bharu
The Grand Renai Hotel Kota Bharu ( formerly Renaissance Kota Bharu)
20 mi away
Grand Riverview Hotel
Grand Riverview Hotel
#4 of 40 in Kota Bharu
Flora Place Hotel
Flora Place Hotel
#13 of 40 in Kota Bharu

Been to Villa Danialla Beach Resort? Share your experiences!