“It's all about the people in KB”

KB Backpackers Lodge
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I don't count anymore how many times I stayed at this place. I use it as a hub to go to Perhentians and every time when I return from there. I stayed there twice this year in July.

I come to KB Backpackers Lodge because of the few reasons. It is very conveniently located in the centre of Kota Bharu and the BUS station is 10 steps away from the place. You can use BUS station to get very cheap transport to Kuala Besut (6RM) or to the Airport (3RM) or anywhere around Malaysia with long distance buses.
Another, even more important reason is that this place is simply cool and I like to meet with Pawi who is very relaxed and cool person. Those who are into cycling you will have hours to talk about.
I like Kota Bharu overall and spirit of the city is also caught in this place. Kota Bharu might not be for everybody but those who enjoy a flavour of good Malaysian food, a bit of history and culture will enjoy here for a day or two very much. Durring Ramadan you will be also able to visit a food market that is near the National stadion and you can try all the best Malaysian dishes. I came many times to Kota Bharu and and I can describe it as most relaxed city on planet earth. Reason -> people.
If I go back to the description of the accommodation I can say that KB Backapackers lodge is offering two types of accomodations. More like a hotel type rooms that are stretching towards Azam hotel. These rooms have its own air con and attached bathroom. Besides that there are also simple backpackers rooms which are really cheap and they offer enough commodity if you are a of course that type of traveler. I took this classic standard backpacker rooms and I got a room for 20RM per nite. Bathroom is shared and this is one of the things that definetely need some renovation as I had problem to find a shower has enough preasure. There were 4 cabins with shower on my floor, so no problem you will find one. There is also a free Wi-Fi in the building and that is definetely a plus. For sure I will sure return again here as it is very cool place on which I have very good memories and I like to return and greet Pawi while there.

Room Tip: Room Tip: Flashpackers can take newer rooms. Backpackers can take the true classic.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Dave S
There are newer reviews for KB Backpackers Lodge

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for about 5 days! Pawi (the owner) is very friendly! (He even invited me to play football with him and some friends, which was a lot of fun!) If you want to go to the perhentian islands, just ask him and he can organize a bus to kuala besut, which is much cheaper than taking the taxi!

The rooms are basic but good and clean! You have to ask for toilet paper tough!
There is free wifi with several hotspots!
The location can't be beaten!
Pawi has a small gym with good equipement, where you can train if you want so! (He bought two new 20 kilo weights the day before I left)
I'd always come back in this super friendly and cool place!!

Pawi has a bunch of good quality bikes which you can rent and explore the surroundings of Kota Bharu! Be careful tough with the map in the lonely planet travelguide if you are planing to do the tempel tour: I think the autor got quite terribly lost when he did this tour because the temples he marked on the map are on the wrong road:) nevertheless with the explenations of Pawi and with a lot of asking for the right way I managed to see all temples lonely planet mentioned (but as I said on different locations)

If you have a little spare time I really recommend to stay two or three days in KB! The nice nightmarket, the friendly people, some good museums and the biking tour I already mentioned are all worth a stay here!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 June 2014

It's a basic backpacker hostel so don't expect too much. But i liked it :) The mattresses in the dorms a good and comfortable to sleep on. There's a good and fast internet connection. It is cheap. Nice location and friendly staff.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank LuukOpReis
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We had a double room with attached bathroom. It was clean, with air conditioning and safe as the manager locked the gate at the bottom of the stairs. It was only RM60 a night. The manager was very helpful, and full of good information about Kota Bharu and the Perhentian Islands. We had to use our own towels, soap and toilet paper.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laj S
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

This has a great location, just around the corner from the bus station. Where you get bus 9 for the airport (took 1 hr) bus 639 for perhentian islands. We stayed in the 8 bed dorm fan room. Has 2 fans. Use the top bunk under the fan for best ventilation. There is also 2 big open windows facing the street. Great fast wifi from all areas. The toilet bowl i think needs to be replaced. There is a nice hot shower.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Coming back from the Perhentians and only staying one night, this was just a place to sleep for myself and my partner. The room was very cheap and provided great value for money for a small room with TV and air con. Cheaper rooms are available including dorms and fan rooms. The bathroom was not too crash hot, but it was an ensuite.
From the rooftop you can get great views of the city, though the city itself isn't that much to look at and you have a giant mobile phone tower in your sights, it's a great spot for people watching!
The owner has excellent English language skills and they have a library/book exchange available for guests.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mslexxi
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I can't really disagree with any of the other reviews, even the bad ones. But come on folks - you ain't paying for much, and you're getting it!

I've been in the 8 bed dormitory almost two weeks (12 RM). For the first two or three days I was just too lazy to change hostels, nor did I bother to investigate them. But, on the third or fourth day, this place really started to grow on me. Pawi (guy) and the woman whose name I still don't know might come across as 'unfriendly,' but actually they are just terminally mellow. Almost every day now they actually have me watch the hostel for a while (no pay!) while they do errands. Pawi helped me find a gym (walking distance, 6 RM, all new equipment, we work out together). We chit chat every day, about matters inconsequential. The lady offers me tastes of new foods, and washes my dishes. The little girl disses me for falling asleep in a chair while I pretend to read.

The dirt you can ignore - it's not on the floor you walk on, or the bed you sleep on. The building is actually 'newer,' just poorly built in the first place, like the rest of the city.

I don't know what the bathroom complainers are talking about. The shared ones I use are clean enough for a hostel. They flush. They are cleaned daily, possibly twice daily. I've never had a problem with them (not even during my first two days, before I was in love with this place). And there is a hot water shower that has worked, for me, 12 days in a row.

The wifi works in the reception room, and in my bedroom (there are actually 3 modems). The master modem does go down occasionally (once or twice a day), Pawi showed me how to reset it, which solves the problem in two minutes.

I have a Kindle, but the lending library is huge!

Yes, the building is a bit of a dilapidated wreck (take a look at the pigeon coups on the back of the roof). But if it weren't, they would be charging four times the current rates. If you want to pay that much, other options are available in the same area.

But I recommend staying here, as long as possible. Especially the complainers, so they can mellow out a bit.

P.S. Yes they smoke everywhere, staff and guests. Ask them to quit if it bothers you - they will. But you have to take a little initiative yourself, in a place so completely mellowed out.

Room Tip: Get one with a window, and you'll have one with street (and bird) noise. I enjoy both.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo