“Lovely staff,”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Labuan Island
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Lovely staff,”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stay at the dorsett for work purposes, pretty much the same as 90% of the residents! the staff are lovely and will help in anyway they can. The food in lobby bar is a little hit n miss. The steak is beautiful as are the potatoes wedges, but the fried noodle mamak style not so nice!! The carpet on the 5th floor is filthy and currently they have an issue with one of the rooms and a water leak which leaves the hall very damp smelling. Room cleaned daily and very well. Laundry returned same day and always pristine. One issue is noise no matter which side of hotel you are on one side hotel nigclub other side outside bar. This is the best hotel in Labuan in my opinion and will always choose this over any other.

Room Tip: High room away from nightclub.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dorsett Grand L, General Manager at Dorsett Grand Labuan, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Kncliverpool,

Thank you for choosing Dorsett Grand Labuan as your preferred hotel.

We are glad to know you have enjoyed your stay and found the hotel services to your liking. We have taken notes on your comments about the services you've experienced during your stay with us. I can assure you that this situation is being addressed and reviewed with the department concerned.

We take pride in providing the best hospitality towards our valued guest like you. By only receiving feedback, we may be able to improve where necessary.

Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcome your next trip back to Dorsett Grand Labuan.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

We have stayed there from February 07th until today May 07th we took a suite (527) at 700MYR/day and I continuously maintain my temporary living environment.

Once you have teached the numerous housekeepers your need, things go a bit better.

One thing bad is that the hotel is on continuous renovation, so banging, drilling is on everyday from 0800hrs until you ask them to stip around 4PM (since I check in).

Food has always been an issue here, cooks change a lot and food quality does too.

Tonight, our last night, we had two sirloin steaks we asked for medium they came super well done and cold, we had a bottle of Frog Shiraz , wine was cooked and undrinkable, total bill 420MYR.

The cheese plateau are not eatable, but I am not in France!

I guess this is my nature to complain...

Now however thanks to the all crew and especially the newly appointed hotel Manager for making our long stay here special.

I will recommend this hotel to my friends and myself come back here as always

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dorsett Grand L, General Manager at Dorsett Grand Labuan, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Christian Roux,

Thank you for your constructive feedback and selecting Dorsett Grand Labuan as your preferred hotel.

It is with great concern that I read of your comments about the services you experienced during your stay with us. Rest assured that this situation is being addressed and reviewed with the department concerned. We will conduct additional training to further reinforce the standard of our services.

It is only by receiving comments from our guest that we are able to overcome our shortcomings.

Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back at Dorsett Grand Labuan.
Reviewed 9 May 2014

This is my third visit to Dorsett Grand Labuan since 2011, I visited this time on May 6 2014 and stayed for 3 nights. The Hotel services by the staff from Conciege, receptionist, food and beverage was very courteous and helpful.The rooms I stayed 308 was definitely my favorites, the cleanliness, everything was in working order, housekeeping cleaning the rooms superbly .Food and Beverage has a nightly Thematic food promotions, not only they have different food but staff changes their uniform to create the atmosphere, you do not feel bored. I used to feel the area at Lower level was under utilised before this time the place looks lively especially swimming pool. Even the 3 lifts I felt safe and secure this time around.and room 308 is definitely my choice next time.

Room Tip: My recommendation room 308, looks new for me this room easy excess from lift and lobby, the view an...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Mr Samsarujee,

Thank you for choosing Dorsett Grand Labuan as your preferred hotel.

We are glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay and found the hotel and our associates services to your liking. Your comment on our unique services and job well done, have been shared with our associates to ensure continuous excellent service. We are very happy to have earned your trust and confidence and we assure you that we will continue to give our best service possible.

Once again, thank you for your kind and generous support and we look forward to your return visit to Dorsett Grand Labuan.
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Stayed here for 1 night during the weekend on 26th April. Booked a Deluxe Room but was given a room with sea view (room 512). Great view of the sea.

Room & bathroom was basically large enough, with comfortable beds. Breakfast was good with a fine selection while concierge was very helpful as well. Nice swimming pool & gym but didn’t have time to try out.

There was a dinner function on Saturday night but we did not encounter any issue of noise as highlighted by some of TA members. Hotel parking is indeed limited & perhaps the Management should look into this.

Hotel is centrally located. Across the road, duty free shop, bowling centre, food court is available at Ujana Kewangan Complex. New Sung Hwa seafood & duty free shops (such as One-Stop duty free ) are nearby Labuan Ferry Terminal & are easily accessible with less than 5 minutes’ drive (we rented an auto-gear SuzukiSX4 at RM70 per day).

Yes, we would definitely stay here if we ever visited here again.

Room Tip: preferably choose a room with sea view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dorsett Grand L, General Manager at Dorsett Grand Labuan, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear KristopherKL,

Thank you for choosing Dorsett Grand Labuan as your preferred hotel in Labuan F.T.

We feel honoured on your positive comments on our breakfast, associates and how strategic Dorsett Grand Labuan's location is.

Please rest assured that the management also concerns on the highlighted shortcomings and will seek further improvement where necessary.

Once again, thank you and look forward to welcoming your next trip back to Dorsett Grand Labuan.
Macduff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed here in April 2014 for 6 nights.

Location is good, just a short walk and you can be anywhere in Labuan.

The hotel is apparently 5 stars but it must have been awarded that a long time ago, certainly not worthy of 5 stars now. If this hotel was in the UK it would be 3 or 4 stars maximum. That said, it's still a nice hotel!

The lobby/reception is great, large & spacious with free beverages available.

I stayed on the 8th floor, executive floor, exec room. I actually stayed in 2 different exec rooms during my stay - One on the 7th floor & one on the 8th floor. The rooms had a great sea view, top class view over the harbour & sea with balcony's in each room. Room's are large with very comfy beds & large bathroom. A real issue is the décor in the rooms, very shabby & out-dated. The wallpaper is hanging off a lot of the walls & some of the wallpaper has even been patched up. Every wall of both rooms I stayed in was the same, wallpaper hanging off & patched up.

Food is rather good, not 5 star but it is of a good enough standard.

PROS:
- Nice staff & reception area
- Large exec room
- Balcony with sea view
- Fast Wi-Fi
- Good A/C
- Comfy large bed
- Clean
- Above average food (for being Labuan)
- Great breakfast

CONS:
- Rooms décor is very old & outdated!!!
- Wallpaper hanging off the walls & patched up in the rooms (even in the executive floors)
- Mini bar is VERY poor. Even in the executive floor... only Sprite or Beer with no snacks/food. this is disappointing as most small hotels have better mini bars.

Verdict: I would stay here again, yes - There isn't much other choice though.

The hotel is old & the rooms unfortunately do really require an update/refurbishment. The wallpaper is rather disgusting even when you are in an executive room. (See attached photos)

Room Tip: Sea view is great & quiet!
Dear Boaty1988,

Thank you for choosing Dorsett Grand Labuan as your preferred hotel. We look like to take this opportunity to thank you for complimenting the positive feedback and highlighting some of the shortcomings.

Rest assured the mentioned issues, has been addressed and reviewed with the department concerned. By sharing your constructive feedback with us here on TripAdvisor will certainly spurs us to continuously strive towards achieving excellence.

Once again, thank you and look forward to welcoming you back at Dorsett Grand Labuan.
Reviewed 24 April 2014

At the out set there was no warmth in welcoming your guests. My colleague was told that there was no room and was asked to pay for a higher costing room. Upon showing prove that she had made the reservations with documentary evidence, only then was she given the room.

My bathroom was leaking at the basin through the wall. This was told after I had made a call to your maintenance. I slipped on the pool of water as I was not aware.as there was a pool of water in the bathroom The maintenance members and the Housekeeping members put towels against the wall to ease the leak for the duration of my stay. I thanked then for their effort.

On check out day, I was called by your staff informing me that the official check out time was 12.30 p.m. As my flight out was at 3.00 p.m., I requested for a 1.00 p.m. check out (half hour extension).
He said it is not possible as there is a group coming in. He further told me that the half hour is chargeable. I do not see any logic in this. If at all the group is coming in, I would have gladly checked out but if it is payable then it looks like it is ok. It does not jive.

I must place on record that your restaurant staff made my stay pleasant during breakfast. They were professional reflecting the actual status of what your hotel should reflect.. You concierge was also helpful.
Sadly I cannot say the same of your Front Office and Gym staff.

As this is a Visit Malaysia Year, I do not see your staff other than the above practising how to be a Great Host.

Please train them more.
Selva

Room Tip: No comments
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Selvanathan S
Dorsett Grand L, General Manager at Dorsett Grand Labuan, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear Dr Selvanathan,

First and foremost, thank you for selecting Dorsett Grand Labuan for your accommodation needs during your visit to Labuan.

It is with great concern that I read of your comments about the services you experienced during your stay with us. I can assure you that this situation is being addressed and reviewed with the department concerned. We will conduct additional training to further reinforce the standard of our services.

We take great pride in being able to provide the best service possible and constantly strive for perfection. It appears that in your case, we have failed to live up to our own standards of service. Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences and embarrassment caused to you and we thank you for your comments. It is only by receiving comments from our guest that we are able to overcome any deficiencies. Though nothing can be done to change your past experience, I hope you will allow us another chance to redeem ourselves.

Once again, my heartfelt thanks for your kind and generous support. We look forward to your next stay at Dorsett Grand Labuan.

Thank You.
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The hotel provides first class room facilities. The staff (front office and room service especially)were excellent coupled with an extensive food selection in the restaurant. Excellent swimming pool with well equipped gymnasium. The non smoking floors took into consideration the requirements of the guests. I will definitely stay here if my travel takes me to Labuan.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms facing the sea view.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mahaindran K
Dorsett Grand L, General Manager at Dorsett Grand Labuan, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Mahaindran K,
Thank you for your positive feedback and choosing Dorsett Grand Labuan as your preferred hotel. We feel privileged on your positive comments above regarding our friendly and helpful staffs. We hope you have a pleasant stay. Once again, thank you for your kind and generous support and look forward to welcome you back at Dorsett Grand Labuan. Thank you.