“Amazing Place”

Palm Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Labuan Island
Reviewed 16 February 2014

my husband and I stayed for one week and really enjoyed it. Our room was enormous and the view from the balcony overlooking the beach was beautiful. The staff were very helpful and we had no complaints about the hotel. The only problem was sand flies on the beach but thats beyond their control. Peter makes the best Laxi ever !!!!

Room Tip: ask for a room in the 300's they are huge and face the sea.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 January 2014

The pluses were the free wifi everywhere in the hotel, and the friendly if somewhat amateurish service. Other than these, everything about the hotel is decidedly average.

I didn't like the harsh bedsheets, or that I spotted 2 cockroaches in the bathroom. Killed one.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

I've stayed with my family in Palm beach hotel for 3 nights. The rooms are nice and there is free Wifi all over the place. There is a nice playground in the garden where my 3 year old daughter enjoyed playing. The front desk staff were very helpful and welcoming and there were free shuttle rides from/to resort to/from town and airport. However, the place is old fashioned and there is not much to do other than swimming in the pool. The breakfast was poor and the restaurant's menu is very limited. The resort need serious improvements and they should think of some activities and promotions.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Rita N
Reviewed 24 December 2013

This is a lovely hotel with good facilities and huge, well equipped rooms. We enjoyed the Saturday night bbq buffet which was delicious and cost just under $20AUD. Unfortunately the service from the staff at reception was very poor. We could not get assistance with our queries and just got brushed off. The hotel is about half an hour drive from town.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ggodfrey24
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Went to take a look at Labuan as living in Sabah. Took the ferry from KK. The hotel room was very large with a huge bathroom - tub and shower! Great balcony view of the beach. Very clean room. Nice staff. Friendly. Food is ok. Good pool and nice beach to walk on. We rented a car and drove around the island. Found a wonderful seafood restaurant near to Tanjung Aru. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Get a room with a sea view on 2nd or 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank HelenM07
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the Palm Beach Resort and Spa hotel (previously known as the Manikar) for one night in November while on business. If I had had a choice, I would have definitely not chosen to stay here; unfortunately as it was a team event and accommodations had been booked for our group. I had stayed at the hotel back when it was still known as the Manikar and had not had a great experience so was not really looking forward to this stay either.

I arrived in the hotel in the evening and was checked into a room on the ground floor. As per my first visit, the room I was assigned to had a musty, mouldy smell and smelt like it hadn't been cleaned or aired out in weeks/months. The sheets felt slightly do, again as if they hadn't been cleaned in a while. As it was only a night I thought I would just put up with it, and apparently the hotel was fully booked that night anyways so they wouldn't have been able to move me around.

The next morning, while getting ready to check out, I had the unfortunate opportunity to have a look at my bed in bright daylight; the sheets were stained with dark spots and worst of all, one of the cushions I had been sleeping next to appeared to have bloodstains on them! I brought the cushion over to reception to show them and the woman at reception didn't even apologize or offer to look into the matter; she just turned to her colleagues and said (in malay) "oh it's so-and-so's" room. Again." Implying that there was a careless member of their housekeeping team and this wasn't the first time guests had complained. But she basically ignored my complain and checked me out without even apologizing.

Other members in my group had similar complaints about rooms smelling mouldy and rooms not being as clean as they should be. Wrote an email to the hotel regarding the matter and have yet to receive a reply from them. Needless to say, will not stay here again on future business trips, and would recommend anyone wanting to stay here to avoid at all costs.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Fina_J
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We spent 2 nights here.We stayed in a king bedroom...it was spacious,clean and comfortable.The bathroom and toilet are also clean.There's nothing much we can do here as there is no water activities during our stay besides for the swimming pool and the beach.The restaurant serves the asian and western food,the taste of the food is just average,the service is a bit slower,which i've wait nearly 15-20mins for my food to be served.The resorts' staffs are friendly and polite.Wifi also good here.The resort also provides shuttle bus every hour which is free and make us easy to go to labuan town. For short,if you want to have a peaceful and relaxing holiday i can assure you this is the ideal place...but if you are a shopaholic you might not stay here as this resort is a bit far from town,it takes about 15 minutes drive...but for sure i will stay here again the next time i come to Labuan:)

• Stayed: December 2013