“CTRT Certification at Moonriver”
Review of Moonriver Lodge

Moonriver Lodge
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
“CTRT Certification at Moonriver”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

An enriching training session with an amazing trainer & warm-hearted folk in a natural & nurturing environment - how much better does life get?

Moon River was my late dad's favourite song, and Moonriver Lodge has carved itself on my heart as just such a HEALING place to be.

What really impressed me was the FAMILY atmosphere, with everyone from Peng Kiat & Billie (& parents & Vincent & Ruby, etc., etc.) downwards to the Nepalese workers being so friendly & chatty & downright neighbourly! Thanks for a wonderful experience.

Like a more famous chap said, "I'll be BACK!" (with my mum next time) =D <3 <3

Room Tip: Mollison Lodge for a great view while you're doing your morning stretches!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We had a lovely weekend with my husband in this beautiful lodge. We could rest and feel the peace around us, not only because of the nature surrodonig the lodge but also of the nice people that work there. If you want to experience a relaxing moment and quit place, this is the place. Is a real outdoor experience in the beautiful mountains of tea plantations.

• Stayed May 2013
Reviewed 31 March 2013

My third time of visiting - and doubtless the third of many more - I loved every second I spent in this wonderful slice of paradise. Is it the warm welcome of the wonderful MRL team? Is it the gorgeous setting, deliciously apart from the concrete sprawl of what was once the Cameron Highlands? Is it the principle and humanity behind the MRL dream, a pioneering embrace of all that will keep this planet beautiful? Or is it just the sounds and sights of many an hour just sitting and 'being' in such a beautiful place? In fact, it is all these and more that will keep us coming back. The Moonriver recipe is already perfect. I urge you to taste it for yourself.

Room Tip: All three 'lodges' have a different character. Just ask Billie and she will talk you through...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Expatfornow
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 28 February 2013

I stayed here for 3 days, 2 nights at the end of Feb 2013. Traveling through SE Asia on the cheap and decided to treat myself for my 30th birthday. Was so happy I did. The permaculture garden was impressive- a gorgeous example of sustainable agriculture. Walked through the commercial farm too, food forest farm. Lots of delicious healthy melons, tomatoes, cucumbers growing hydroponically. Most delicious corn I've ever had- it's so sweet and juicy that you can eat it raw!!!

The staff was really helpful and very welcoming. there was a large teen group from Vietnam staying at the lodge the same time as me, but I still felt like I was able to get a quiet retreat while they were off doing their activities. I was impressed with the treasure hunt, cooking contest, and garden activities that the staff planned for the group. I could tell the kids were engaged and having the time of their lives.

As I mentioned, the food was delicious too. So much better than the gross stuff you find in Tanah Rata and Brinchang. Some highlights were: Yummy homemade hokkien mee, sugar cane drink made in house, lemongrass ginger tea, sweet potato soup dessert, nasi lemak with good sambal.
The corn was still my favorite.

Billie and her husband were nice enough to give me a ride to Ipoh on their way back to town, so I had a chance to talk to them about permaculture and how Moon River Lodge came to be. They have an amazing, inspiring story and 20 year plan for the land. Support this family run business! You won't regret it!

Btw I should mention, the rooms are very basic, but clean and comfortable. This is not a luxury resort, it's a farm stay. Also, it's worth it to pay the extra 10RM to upgrade to the new Mollison lodge, you'll get a nice new comfy mattress instead of a pad.

Thank you MRL for an unforgettable 30th birthday!! I will be back!

Room Tip: Get the Mollison lodge
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Kara G
Petaling Jaya, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed 1 December 2012

Moon River Wider than a mile, (Acres and acres of it,) I'm crossing you in style someday, (literally through a mud slide where a new road was being developed). Oh dream maker ( our dreams of a tranquil retreat were realized) you heart breaker (we didn't want to leave your verdant hills and your lush green gardens of flowers and herbs), wherever you're going we're going your way ( we are all coming back soon). Two drifters off to see the world, ( we did see a lot, from the Water Valley Trek to the all the lovely nooks and corners where your waters flowed through) Theres such a lot of world to see (the Rafflesia trek, the Spiral Herb gardens, the Tomato Terrace, the Keyhole Gardens and more) Truly my Huckleberry Friend, Moon River and me! To see my grandson Manish roam freely and caress and feed the rabbits was pure pleasure!

2 Thank earthmother27
Beijing
Reviewed 19 November 2012

We stayed for 2 nights and had a good time. The other reviews here are pretty accurate so we knew what to expect and enjoyed it very much. The short tour of the garden was really interesting and the hike to see the rafflesia was good fun and well worth doing is you have kids over 5 years who can handle an uphill, muddy hike and/or for 6 year-olds plus who have a sense of adventure. Trainers or proper walking shoes are needed though and plenty of bug spray. We cooked for ourselves as we had booked quite late and the kitchen worked well, with all you need supplied. Breakfast was eggs, sausage and toast (as much as you wanted). The packed lunch was a bit light for our hungry family so we supplemented it with our own snacks and that was fine. Our kids loved the farm as they could hang out in the hammocks or play with the tame rabbits and chickens to their heart's content. The staff here are really friendly and helpful, particularly towards the children and nothing was too much bother for them. The electric being only available in the evening meant that there some excitement on our kids part about it coming on - they had a new appreciation for electrical power! The gardens are very pleasant and the place will very well managed and very tidy and clean. The in-house library is pretty comprehensive and keep up all busy as did the chess sets etc. They are continuing to develop the farm and hopefully will have camping facilities soon as that would be super popular I think.

Room Tip: Away from the cockerel if you don't want an early morning wakeup call.
1 Thank Beijingfolks
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 13 November 2012

spend at least 2 nights. Do consider the rafflesia trail, if you are fit enough.

no attached bathrooms but they are just opposite the room, across a walkway.

generator goes on at 7pm and shuts off at 11pm, but the view of the stars was spectacular.

no meals on Friday (state rest-day), if there are few guests.

Special note:
The unpaved access road (about 800m) was affected by major constructions around it. Unless you are driving a 4x4 with mud tyres, you are likely to face some serious traction issues during the wet monsoon over the next 2 months, (Nov-Dec).

1 Thank macaiwar