“Magic experience”
Review of Mossy Forest

Mossy Forest
Ranked #1 of 15 things to do in Brinchang
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We visited the cloud forest as part of a day trip from Tanah Rata. Climbing steadily, we stopped near the summit of Mount Brinchang, and entered the forest. Slender trees which can barely be attached to the soil grow up through mossy banks; the ground is covered in moss, and is spongy to walk on, and tree trunks are similarly covered. Flora was unrecognisable to me, except several species of pitcher plants and a couple of orchids. In the late afternoon, the mist descends, and the view from the top of the nearby transmitter begins to disappear.

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"tour group"
"an adventure"

Reviewed 29 August 2013

I had a lovely drive up to Gunung Brincang. The mist and greenery welcome us for a wonderful experience. I know i will enjoy the tour from start to end....and I did.The look out tower at Gunung Brincang (next to TNB Tower) is narrow but manageable. Our guide was really good and funny. While explaining about the plants and flowers...he kept an eye on our group for their safety. Be prepared to get dirty. Those with children and elderly are suggested to go for the board walk while enjoying the misty climate and velvety green backdrop. I simply loved it. I tried both the hard trail and the board walk which was unique in both way.
At the end of the trail, the guide promised to show me a Cobra which he claim is in wild but harmless. There are few of us decided to skip that but the guide insist as this will be a wonderful experience.......hahaha to my surprise, yes it was a something new because he was talking about Cobra Lily which I see it for first time. And yes it does look like a Cobra.
Suggestion :
1) Make sure you are wearing proper covered shoes.
2) Cap (advisable from my experience)
3) Bottle of Water.
4) Long pants and long sleeved shirts (or with jacket).

There are no mosquitoes, so don't worry.

Enjoy your trail and if possible follow with a guide for better explanation.

2  Thank Syamala S
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We arrived at the entrance of the Mossy Forest walk at around noon, after a visit to the Sg Palas BOH tea plantation. The turn off to the road leading to the Mossy Forest did not have any signage to indicate and we had to use the GPS and gut feel to get there. The only signboard was one to a strawberry farm. Halfway up, we met a runner to confirm our directions and the rest of the way up (20 mins) of very windy narrow road was somewhat of a challenge. Passing another oncoming vehicle was dicey.

The walk was on wooden elevated planks for about 10 minutes. It was a mystical experience and I was half expecting to see some mythical creatures in all that moss and mist.

Wear proper hiking boots if you want to carry on after the elevated walkway ends. We ventured in a bit further but as I was not in proper footwear (can get very muddy and slippery), we turned back. The hike includes pulling ourselves up using tree roots and branches, so you will get a bit dirty. All good with proper attire.

There were not many people about (non-peak season perhaps) and many times we found ourselves alone which was quite pleasant.

1  Thank Pamela G
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Probably the best thing about Cameron HIghlands - a trip to the Mossy Forest in Gunung Brinchang. I was there early in the morning and found myself strolling through a misty fantasy where the trees were covered in moss so thick the moss made structures of their own. Little details like dew drops on cobwebs enhance the wonder of the place. It was like stepping into a fantasy movie set.

There's a boardwalk covering a smallish portion of the forest. Good for a back-to-nature family outing with small ones, or in my case, with friends who felt compelled to hum the tune from "The Hobbit". If you're more adventurous, you can hike off the boardwalk and follow the forest trail. Apparently this can easily take half a day's worth of trekking.

This place is my most recommended place to visit. The raw natural beauty makes for a much-needed break from the over-commercialised "highlights" of Cameron Highlands.

1  Thank chiselstone
See more reviews
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We drove up to the mossy forest in our rental car, it is a fairly steep windy road but nothing to difficult. To get there we took the turning off the main road for Sungai Palas Boh Tea Plantation, we went past the plantation and continued on taking a left following the signs for Mountain Strawberry Farm. From there continue up the road and you'll see the entrance clearly marked on the right. If at any point you find yourself on a gravel or heavily pot hold road then you have probably made a wing turning.

We had the place to ourselves and the walk was really nice. It is a short drive further along the road to the top of the mountain where there is a lookout tower. Visiting the tea plantation and the strawberry farm at the same time made a nice day out.

1  Thank rrddaa