“Chinese food, good and cheap”

Alor Akar Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 248 Restaurants in Kuantan
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Went to this corner shop for dinner on a Monday night about 8,00 pm and by that time it was already almost filled to the brim with diners. Coincidentally,it was also the first day of the one-week school holidays and as in any typical Chinese food shop, the din was unbearable. In order to avoid the big dinner crowd, it would be advisable to be there by 6 pm or so. If I'n not wrong they only serve dinner and start at 5 in the evening.

We wanted the popular "beggar's chicken" but it was sold out then. So we had some seafood and some pork dishes instead, which turned out to be quite nice except for the yam basket which was a bit lacking due to its popularity and bulk cooking, I guess. But in spite of the large crowd, the food was served within a reasonable time span.

At the end of it all, the bill that came was reasonably cheap as compared to other restaurants of this calibre. Would love to come again.

1  Thank Danny K

Reviewed 4 February 2014

Waited for very long and family began to feel impatient after waiting for more than 40mins. Luckily all dishes were served on table together and it was delicious and cheap! Worth eating.

1  Thank Seanlee304
Reviewed 8 January 2014

The signature prawn dish and beggar chicken are a must have. Will go back each time I visit Kuantan. Try to avoid peak dinner hours or it will take at least 40 mins to have your food.

2  Thank ckkuan
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Went there a few days ago, group of 6. Try to get your order correct from the start, as it won't be easy to amend or add later, as the waiters/proprietor get very busy due to the popularity. It would be a distinct advantage if you can speak any of the common Malaysian Chinese dialects (mandarin, cantonese, hokkien) when ordering, However, you can get by with just English, so don't let that put you off (you may just have to stick to the menu). Regardless, it shouldn't stop you from ordering a fish dish - ask for the whole fish (yes, that includes the head!) and while you will have a choice of how it's prepared, I recommend having as little done to it as possible (we had our steamed, with fresh spring onions/scallion and ginger). The proprietor told us their fish gets sold out every day, so it's always 'fresh' - and what we were served was excellent. Another thing worth considering is asking them what fresh vegetables are available, then make your choice and order it stir fried with garlic or some similarly simple preparation. Good restaurants shine with this, as there's no hiding behind poor quality when food is prepared simply (unfortunately, poor ones will make you regret ordering this!). This place served us a plate of cantonese excellence.
We got there early-ish, around 6pm on a Friday and the place was busy but there was no queue. Appeared to be mostly local patrons. Took about half an hour for our food to arrive, so allow for this wait, though I consider this is within reasonable limits.
HINT- this is not a posh air-conditioned place and so while you're feeding, the mosquitoes are happily doing the same (on you). My son had bites all over his legs which made him itch for days. Wear long trousers/jeans or put on a good dose of insect-repellent (I'd do both) and you should have an enjoyable experience which isn't heavy on the wallet and doesn't make you itch for days.
I'm recommending this restaurant with some trepidation as I'd hate to see this place become so popular and busy or expensive that I can't get in to enjoy a meal in future! But they deserve an excellent rating, if you don't mind roughing it a bit, as you won't get any ambience or decor here.

Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

This location map is false. Wasted my 45 minutes of my life. Please get someone to correct it immediately. Thank you.