“Great location but leaves something to be wanted”

Hyatt Regency Kuantan
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Kuantan
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This is an aging hotel, so the rooms are not great, but were adequate for our needs. We were travelling with 3 children and stayed 3 days, 2 nights. I am a member of the Hyatt reward program and had enough points to get the rooms for free. The redemption ladder within Hyatt gives a hint as to the internal ranging of this hotel. This is a tier 1 hotel, where a standard room is 5000 points for one night. In the other end of the scale, we tier 7, e.g., Park Hyatt Sydney and Park Hyatt Tokyo, where one standard room is 30,000 points per night. So expectations need to be set accordingly.

I booked airport transport both ways, but no one from the hotel was there to meet us at the airport. We waited 5 min and then took taxis, which was no problem at all.

With club rooms, we had access to the club lounge, where complimentary breakfast was served 7-11 am and evening cocktails and snack was available 6-8 pm. Water, coffee and tea was available all day. The club lounge has indoor and outdoor seating, both under fans and by the beach. Very nice!

The hotel has two pools, both with deep and shallow sections. No life guards. One has a pool bar which the kids loved! The pools also had floaters for use. The staff did not always clean up after guests who left plates with food on their sun beds. This attracted ants and birds. I only noticed this at the pool without the bar. I would suggest that the staff checks this pool too, e.g., a couple of times an hour. There are a couple of tennis courts on the back side of the hotel.

The lawns and walks around the pools were nicely kept. There are cabanas on the beach and it's all nicely lit up at night. There's a jet-ski and a sail catamaran rental on the beach. We never tried it and I was told this was operated by an external company.

The a-la carte snack and drinks from Kampung restaurant were quite pricey. The food was OK. The drinks were so-so. The strawberry smoothie had an artificial flavor to it (I suspect no real strawberries,) and the beer wasn't as cold as I'd wished. Kampung had buffets which we didn't try. There's also an Italian restaurant and a BBQ place within the hotel premises.

The gym was small but well equipped. I never saw it crowded. I guess people go to places like this to relax, not to work out anyway :) There's an activity room with a pool table and a fussball table. I also saw a couple of mountain bikes in there which I assume were available for rent.

The village area outside of the hotel was nice, with some souvernir shops and local restaurants. If you like durian but can't stand the smell, make sure you try the frozen and deep fried durian sold by Zen. All the good taste and none of the foul smell! There are some western chains around, too, like McDonald's, Burger King and Starbucks.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
KUAKT, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Kuantan, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Trond,

Thank you for sharing with us your recent stay experience. We truly apologise for the mix up in airport transfers but glad though that the drive from the airport to the hotel was smooth. We have highlighted to our colleagues the importance of ensuring that the surrounding area of both swimming pools are kept clean at all times to avoid any pests or birds coming. Although the hotel is ageing, it is good to know that you and your family were still able to have an enjoyable and relaxing time. In keeping with the ever-changing needs and lifestyles of travellers, the owners of the property and Hyatt are in discussions for a remodelling programme. We hope to welcome you and your family back to the hotel then.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed here for a wedding reception. the dining room looks out onto the beach, in fact if you climb out of the window you are on it, beautiful view of palm trees and the South China Sea, it is an idylic place to stay as it is quiet. food is superb. the chinese retaurant was very good.. Staff friendly and helpful can arrange transport for you, ideal location to unwind,, loved it...

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
KUAKT, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Kuantan, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Christine,

Thank you for positive feedback and sharing with us your experience. It is good to know that you really enjoyed the beautiful beach and amazing views of the South China Sea. The hotel is indeed in an ideal location with choices of cafes and restaurants nearby and a mere five minute drive to the city. We also would like to share with you that the hotel is in discussions with the owners to have commence a remodelling programme. We hope to welcome you back to a fresher and comfortable ambience to rest and relax in.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights 3 days from 29 May to 1 June 2014. It is was a short family holiday and the hotel is a pleasant 3 1/2 hours drive from Petaling Jaya.

Hotel has excellent location in Teluk Cempadak. Beach is decent and not congested. Good for swimming with kids. There are 2 pools in hotel but I preferred the beach.

Hotel is conveniently located near a lot of fast food and convenience stores. If you don't fancy food a five minute walk will get you a good variety of food.

I got 2 sea view rooms near the Embassy Club. Rooms were located on the ground floor with excellent excess for the beach and swimming pool. This worked well for the kid. The bonus is the brilliant sunrise in the morning.

The hotel and rooms are showing their age. My room was clean but my kids' room had sticky floors. I got the impression that somebody had just checked out and they rushing to clean up the rooms.

Hotel staff are very friendly and helpful. Gentleman in front desk recommended I try Ana Ikan Bakar (grilled fish). He was spot on. Security people always smiling. Restaurant staff also very good.

My only complains are the price and quality of breakfast in coffee house. It charging for the Hyatt brand but hotel is showing its age. For example, toilets in reception area were not working for 2 days. Food offered for morning breakfast could have better variety. Surprisingly, there was very little of Pahang or East Coast cuisine.

Hotel has great location which is best selling point.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
KUAKT, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Kuantan, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear BigDadd,

Thank you for taking time to share with us your kind feedback on your recent family holidays with us. It is good to know that your family enjoyed the stay. The hotel's location is great, a beautiful beach with an amazing sunrise and convenience shops and restaurants just outside the hotel. We have highlighted the condition of the room floors to our colleagues in Housekeeping to ensure that guest rooms are always cleaned thoroughly. We have also shared your constructive comments on offering more Pahang or East Coast dishes to our culinary team. The hotel is showing its age and plans are being discussed between the relevant parties to schedule a remodelling programme to offer guests a more comfortable and relaxing stay experience. We hope to warmly welcome you back to the hotel then.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Poorly maintained hotel. I had to ask to exchange the room because the room given was dirty, full of stains. The skirting board and floor were loose, peeling paint. At check in the clerk argued that the package had no breakfast included, when it was included. At the pool most sunshades were not working. It'll be a good 2-3 stars hotel, definitely isn't a 5. I wouldn't stay at this hotel again and wouldn't recommend it to friends and family

Room Tip: Avoid the oldest tower! Cant remember if it is the tower 1 ou tower 3.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
KUAKT, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Kuantan, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear xxBrunaxx,

Thank you for sharing with us your stay experience. It is with regret to hear that your stay was unfavourable and we understand your frustration with the condition of the property. Rest assured that the management are in ongoing discussions with the relevant parties for a remodelling programme to take place. We hope that we would have the opportunity to welcome you back to a fresher and more comfortable ambience to rest and relax in.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

This hotel is right on the beach and close to a lot of local shops and restaurants. The hotel is fairly old and looking its age, quite tired looking.
Lobby area is open air as is the main restaurant and gets quite hot during the day.
Bedrooms are good, spacious and comfortable, and quiet. On-suite is huge and has all comforts, nicely set out.
I ate in the main restaurant where BBQ Seafood buffet was on the go. This was really good. They also had a big selection of other Malaysian and Asian foods.
Swimming pool is very basic and small, the poolside bar is also very basic and does not have a great selection of drinks.
Overall the hotel and facilities are OK

Room Tip: There is an annex area to the back of the reception, this has the better rooms and worth the extra m...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
KUAKT, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Kuantan, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Phill,

Thank you for sharing with us your stay experience. Though it was a short stay, we are glad that you were able to make use of some of the hotel's facilities and try out the weekend BBQ Seafood Buffet. The seafood offered during the buffet are freshly caught as our chefs visit the fishing docks in the early morning to select the catch of the day. We do have a second swimming pool which is good for swimming laps however, this pool does not have the swim up bar. The hotel and respective parties are is in discussions for a remodelling programme to take place. The remodelling programme will include guest rooms to provide guests with a new ambiance to rest and relax in. We look forward to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

This is the worst value v experience ever in all my 48 years on the planet.

I booked through Asia rooms who I have never had an issue with in all the years I have used them. Turned up at 5 pm having driven from KL they told me no reservation, I had booked a superior room.

I had to call the agent as they didn't have the pro activity to do so themselves, then they found my reservation, but the room not made up. Much confusion and waiting then having confirmed that I wanted a no smoking room they gave me a smoking room. After 30 minutes I couldn't be bothered complaining.

Then I go for a beer at the pool bar and all they have is canned beer which tastes horrible and is 5 times the price you can buy in 7-11. Also took took 10 mins for anyone to serve me.

I then asked the waitress where coals was which is the BBQ meat restaurant and she told me so I went there and sat down and was completely ignored so I went and got my own menu. Still ignored so after 10 minutes with the chef present and the waitress in and out I left. Though I'm not giving them my money and went outside, but thought its such a nice setting I need to go back.

So I went back and sat down and was given a menu, I was the only customer there and I asked what wine they had by the glass and the waiter said I don't know I will have to check. He then came back with the labels and not the grapes, I had enough and left.

I then complained to the extremely well meaning Rakesh the only manager on duty as the GM and the architect of the terrible service was missing. He said give us another chance and gave me a voucher and took me to the Italian bistro where i received great service and had one of the best steaks ever. Having said that is was expensive.

Anyway went back to the room and ordered some ice, no sign of it appearing after 20 minutes. Went and complained and ended up with 2 buckets.....

The plug in the bathroom would not retract so I decided to clean my cuff links ahead of an important meeting with a key politician tomorrow. Whilst drying it flew through the air and went down the sink, another call to reception and another visit after nobody turned up.

The room is beyond tatty with damaged furniture etc and if I was generous it's 3 star and so over priced it's crazy.

Hyatt you are clearly unconcerned with your brand given the state of this hotel and the negative comments on trip advisor.

If you offered me a free room I would not stay again.

Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank mattstuart
KUAKT, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Kuantan, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear mattstuart,

Thank you for taking time to write to us your constructive feedback. It is with regret that we hear of your unfavourable stay experience. Please accept our apologies on the shortfall of quality in service and facilities provided. It is certainly not representative of the standards that we should provide. Your comments are heard and we are taking remedial steps to change this. It remains our priority to continually strive to improve and provide authentic hospitality to all our guests.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed here for just over a week as we wanted a relaxing time after a busy fortnight travelling around Burma/Myanmar. We treated ourselves to an Orchid Club suite (just under £200 a night) and it was well worth the money. We relaxed thoroughly and were looked after extremely well by all the staff. Our suite was very spacious and had a long balcony with views from the front over the ocean and from the side over one of the pools. Plenty of storage was available and they supplied a DVD player for us, a daily newspaper and an hour a day of free wifi was included.

The Orchid Club is open all day for free wifi and soft drinks. In the early evening a good selection of tasty nibbles, both hot and cold, are provided as well as a wide range of alcoholic drinks. We thoroughly enjoyed sitting outside looking at the ocean with a plate of food and a glass (or three) of wine. Often we did not need an evening meal as well as the nibbles we replaced as they were eaten. We sometimes had breakfast there as well but we usually went to the main restaurant as there was more choice and we had been told that with our booking we could eat at either. We also had lunch several times in the main restaurant – the satay was very good.

The hotel itself is built in several 4 storey blocks linked by undercover walkways at different levels. Lifts were plentiful and we rarely had to wait for them. There are two pools which were only crowded at the weekend. My only minor complaint is that several of the pool umbrellas were broken and it was impossible to move the remaining ones where you wanted them for maximum shade as they were fixed in large pots. The pools themselves were clean and a lovely temperature. The beach was sandy and the sea warm and more sunbeds and umbrellas were available on the beach.

We had booked a hire car so we could explore for a day but when we went to pick it up were told that only drivers under 65 were permitted so we had another lazy pool day – no real hardship for us as we had been to this area several times before but could have been annoying for an older person on their first visit. A few minutes walk from the hotel is the main public beach area where there are a few shops, fast food restaurants etc. Handy if you want a few beach toys for children or a cheap meal.

Overall a great holiday and we shall certainly go back.

Room Tip: It is worth while paying the extra for the Orchid Club rooms. Our corner suite was excellent.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chriscris

Dear Chriscris,

Thank you kindly for sharing and taking time to write to us on your stay experience. We are glad that you managed to relax thoroughly and enjoyed your time at the hotel. The surrounding area outside the hotel is developing fast with many shops and eateries to attract both guests and the locals. We look forward to welcome you back to a fresher and comfortable ambience to rest and relax in when the hotel goes through the remodelling programme.

Chen Yee Wang

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuantan
Swiss-Garden Beach Resort Kuantan
Swiss Garden Resort Residences Kuantan
Mangala Resort & Spa
Mangala Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Gambang

Been to Hyatt Regency Kuantan? Share your experiences!