“Disappointed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 43 Hotels in Kuantan
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

I'll start with the best thing about Legend Resort.
It is the beach. Gorgeous, clean beach. Not crowded, perfect place to unwind and enjoy the scenery. Now onto what happened on 3rd & 4th May 2014 (Saturday & Sunday).

I phoned the hotel to inform that I will be late and was given an assurance that my booking is confirmed. Arrived just after 6 pm and was given room 247. After parking my car, I went back to the reception to ask about breakfast as I realised that they didn't mention anything about it earlier.

After that, I went to the room given (in a different wing- quite a walk) and found that the door wasn't locked. Went in anyway and found that the room looked occupied (pic). I asked a cleaner working nearby and she said that "someone changed room" so the room wasn't ready. I was speechless for a moment. Tired after a long journey and the hotel decided that it's OK to give me an unmade room?

Back to the reception, told a personnel the situation, waited (again) and was given another room. Not a single apology. Just an envelope with room no. written hugely, containing the (new) room key placed before me.

Room was huge, as comfortable as I can remember from my childhood. Basic toiletries provided. The shower smelled unpleasant- sweaty, stuffy; even the water had unpleasant smell after a while.

Breakfast - crowded at 8.30 am Sunday. Could use some crowd control for efficiency. Instead, guests had to find our own seats & this caused some couples taking tables for 6 pax.
The food itself - satisfactory. Small buffet area with surprisingly various selections- nasi dagang, cereal, salad & fresh fruits, mee mamak, sausages, hash browns, pastries, make your own curry noodle corner & roti jala and omelette kiosks. I especially love the curry noodle.

Check-out took some time. The staff didn't inform what was the delay while I was waiting (again) for my deposit to be returned. The reception area also had an unpleasant smell, therefore it was uncomfortable standing there waiting.

To be fair, the trainees and security officers were very polite and friendly. Perhaps because they're not local Malaysians.

Basic respect and politeness are probably considered as 'extra luxury' by the permanent staff in this place. Lucky for us, there are other hotels with gorgeous beach. This hotel used to be my family's favourite in Cherating. Not anymore.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Sivaram_Gangathanam, General Manager at Legend Resort Cherating, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Hi SheaSonia,

Greetings from the Legend Resort Cherating.

I agree on the points you have made in your comment and as such I have forwarded your comment to my heads of departments to ensure that this does not happen again. Please allow me to apologize on behalf of the resort for your less than pleasant experience throughout the duration of your stay. Rest assured that your feedback is very important to us and we will strive to improve our services for all of our future guests. I most certainly hope that this trip will not tarnish your perception of us and you will choose to be our guest once again. Be certain that your next stay will be a more pleasant one. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you do.

Resort Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

30/04/2014
room 542

I chose the legend resort, cherating as my 2D1N post birthday holiday spot. The white sandy beach amazed me, the rest was just overrated. The room was spacious and clean however, the aircond and water heater was undermantained. Called several departments especially the maintenance twice and was promised that someone is coming to rectify the problem however no one turned up. Called the third time, and i was already sweating in my room. Still, i was ignored. The ATV service was not available, given the reason of staffs were on leave, and there was no sunset bar as per shown in the website.

I'm very disappointed to have choose this resort to celebrate my belated birthday. I'm not recommending this place to anyone who is looking for a relaxing hassle-free holiday especially if you have kid(s).

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank len j
Dear Len J,

Greetings from the Legend Resort, Cherating.

It is most distressing to hear of your rather unpleasant stay with us. Rest assured that I have forwarded your email to my heads of departments in order to rectify the issues in your room. Although, it has come to my attention that my Front Office staff had moved you to a different room after. We certainly hope that your new room was up to standards but should I be mistaken, please to do not hesitate to contact us to clarify the matter. We most certainly hope that you would consider offering us another chance and be certain that we will strive to provide you a better experience the next time around. Please, do not hesitate to contact me again should you be in Cherating again in the near future.

Resort Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Kuantan hotels

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Our room on level 1 facing the pool. I luv the yard indeed coz direct acess to pool n beach just we cant open that door from outside so u cant leave ur room un attended if u want to use that door.
Bathroom very small. If ur using the shower the water will overflowing coz the drainage is next to the toilet n not in the shower itself. Owh the heater doesnt work so just bare with the coldness.
During daylight just try not stay too long in ur room coz the rcond doesnt work very well.
At night you will be accompanied by mosquitoes and ants. ( oh they prepared the mosquitoes coil)
Whts i like bout this hotel just bcoz of its their own beach.
The cafetaria also not very good in term of variety and quality of the food.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear shahrulhafeez,

Greetings from The Legend Resort Cherating.

I have read your comments and rest assured that I have forwarded them to my heads of departments. That being said, it is quite distressing to hear of your rather unpleasant stay here with us. Please note that we have tended to the problems you have mentioned and we have recently upped our fogging activities to ensure a better environment for our guests. Be certain that your next trip with us will be a more pleasant one.

G. Sivaram
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

Heater for hot shower not working, plenty of mosquitoes, channels shown on TV not in clear transmission, TV not working perfectly. Complained to the staff about the hot shower & TV, but there was nothing they can do. It was only late towards evening that they reluctantly offered to change our rooms, but we have already unpacked our baggage and found it a hassle to switch rooms. Not very helpful on the local food fare, especially to msian tourists who wish to get some nice authentic local meals. The ONLY nice thing about it is the location and good view/access to a long stretch of awesome beach. Swimming pool is ok. Not advisable for business trips or quality holiday makers. Spend abit more and go elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Sivaram_Gangathanam, General Manager at Legend Resort Cherating, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Su Ping,

Greetings from the Legend Resort, Cherating.

It is certainly distressing to hear of your rather unpleasant stay with us recently. Rest assured I have forwarded your comments to my heads of departments and we will see to it that your issues be rectified. I most certainly hope that you would consider visiting us again and we will strive to ensure your next visit will be a more pleasant one. Thank you.

Selangor, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

Imagine waking up to the sounds of waves hitting the shore, overlooking the sea and beyond. Imagine walking on the white sandy beach while mingling with nature. That was what I experienced during my stay at the Legend Resort, Cherating.

I stayed there for 3 days and 2 nights together with other medias for Sahabat Media Cuti-Cuti 1 Malaysia program and throughout the program, I stayed at their deluxe room with sea view. Being less than 3 hours’ drive away from Kuala Lumpur, this resort is the best place for a short weekend getaway with family.

After collecting the key, I went straight to the room to check out the room. The deluxe room in the resort is so luxurious, with 2 double beds in a medium-sized room, it was so comfortable. The room is also equipped with LCD TV, coffee making facilities, wardrobe and other basic amenities for a perfect stay. Not to forget, the bathroom has power shower and glass partition to separate the shower area and the toilet area.

I also managed to try the food at the resort which was awesome because they tasted delicious. Apart from that, throughout my stay, the breakfast spread was changed every day so that the customers won’t feel bored with the same offerings every single day.

Walk a few steps from the restaurant and three swimming pools will greet people who are eager to have a swim. I personally did not try the swimming pool but the three swimming pools are unique in the sense that it caters for 3 different groups: swimmers with swimming attire, swimmers with other attires and also a children pool.

I will not forget how every morning, as I woke up at the resort, I opened up the sliding door to the sound of waves with fresh breeze blowing my face. It was so refreshing and nice.

There are setbacks for the resort too. For instance, I had to walk quite far to go to my room from the lobby. The gymnasium also looks like it was not well-maintained. Nevertheless, these setbacks were compensated with a good rest and great stay at the Legend Resort, Cherating.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kairulizwan
Sivaram_Gangathanam, General Manager at Legend Resort Cherating, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear kairulizwan,

Greetings from Legend Resort, Cherating.

On behalf of the resort, I would like to thank you for your wonderful compliment. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we will strive to improve our services to our guests. I have forwarded your comment to my head of department and encouraged them to keep up the good work. Rest assured, we're in the midst of improving our resort and you may be certain that your next stay with us will be even better than the last. Thank you.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

The Legend tries hard. Aimed at Malaysians rather than the foreign tourist. Take it if you can accept being local. Breakfast was good bit can't say the same for the evening meals. Not too much to do, so just a few days get away would be fine. You'll need your own transport to really get around. I would imagine it would be fun for young children in the pool etc etc.
The fire fly evening visit was intriguing , but not so the evening market. Give that a miss.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sivaram_Gangathanam, General Manager at Legend Resort Cherating, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Stev E,

Greetings from the Legend Resort, Cherating.

We most certainly strive to offer the best service to each and every one of our guests both foreign and local. I hope that our resort had been up to your satisfaction despite some of the more minor issues you have mentioned in your comment. Do visit us again should you decide to make Cherating your next vacation destination. Thank you.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

Location wise : easy to find, many local eatery. However beware , EXPENSIVE. (Better review on Foursquare before ordering foods. It helps.)

Selling point : Nice seaview, friendly staff, easy access to wide clean beach, clean pool. Coconut Grove cafe provides decent eating & affordable too.

Cons : Pipe leaking, water run-out many times, housekeeping not replacing water bottle (2 per room) & u hv to request for bathrm mats. Really? Balcony extremely dirty & oily. Wifi open but can't access from room. only those in lobby can get wifi. Mine is the deluxe room with sofa bed. Stay for a week.

Rating : 6.5 / 10

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank nadzra
Dear Nadzra,

Greetings from the Legend Resort, Cherating.

Rest assured I have forwarded your comment to my heads of departments and will see to it that your issues be rectified accordingly. Despite the obvious letdown, I most certainly hope that these issues had not tarnished your otherwise pleasant experience of our resort. Do visit us again should you find yourself back in Cherating. Thank you.

Resort Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuantan
Residence Inn Cherating
Residence Inn Cherating
#2 of 6 in Cherating
Suria Cherating Beach Resort, Kuantan
Cherating Eastana Beach Resort
Samsuria Beach Resort & Residence
Swiss-Garden Beach Resort Kuantan
Holiday Villa Beach Resort & Spa Cherating

Been to Legend Resort Cherating? Share your experiences!