“Horrible!!!!”

Swiss-Garden Beach Resort Kuantan
Ranked #3 of 44 Hotels in Kuantan
Reviewed 9 October 2007

It was a horrible experience. We arrived at the hotel in the night and we fled the place the next morning.
According to the hotel, the journey from KL takes 2.5hrs. In reality it takes 4.5 hrs.This is not including the 20 mins by cab from the city centre.
The service was bad. We needed to make an urgent call before we could check-in (as that was taking ages). We requested for a phone numerous times and the guy at the reception was reluctant to let us make a call. He kept asking us to wait till we get to the room. Aftering making the call, we were finally led to our room. The lift was rusty with its paint peeling off. The passage to the rooms were dingy.
When we finally got to the room, we did not feel the warmth and comfort we expected. After a quick shower we decided to hit the bed. This was the worst part of the nightmare. The bedsheet had stains which were either rust or from bed bugs.
We had planned to stay there for 3 days. Since we had had enough of the place, we checked-out early next morning. Will never recommed the place to anybody.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank vin_dos

Reviewed 14 September 2007

Ok ive stayed at this hotel before so why you may ask did i go back for a second time ?
Simple i really like Balok Beach great location and nice to relax and have a swim in the sea however this clouded my judgement when i booked the resort i forgot about the sheer expense of things and the rudeness of staff.
Im embaressed because i recommended this place to my friend and we paid more than we would normally for two days of relaxation.
It started badly when the room we were allocated only had a king size bed we had reserved a twin room and confirmed it by telephone a few days before.
Unfortunatly the resort is full was the response we got from the duty manager the night we checked in and they would free of charge supply us with a rollaway bed if your in a budget hotel this maybe fine but we were paying 360 ringett for this.
The room was nice apparently it was one of the best rooms in the resort but thats not really the point.
We went into the resort night club for the night and ended up with the staff trying to charge us for other peoples drinks its soo expensive they even charge for peanuts that they put on your table without asking which is rediculous
Throughout our stay we only experienced rudeness from the staff who genuinely only seem concerned for the corporate companys splashing the cash and having their confrences there whilst us holiday makers are treated as second class.
The food isnt that great either but unfortunatly you are quite isolated at this resort with few alternatives.
Finally our room wasnt cleaned until 4pm in the afternoon which is unacceptable.
The resort has had a makeover of the lobby area and restaurants since i last visited however this place has left a lasting impression with me i certainly will not be returning here.
Avoid this place if posisble there are much better alternatives

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
6  Thank rvfdan
Reviewed 3 August 2007

Although it was one year back when we stayed at this hotel, the memory I have of it is still fresh. We booked a non-smoking room and of course when we checked it, only available rooms are on the smoking floors and given no option/choice but to take a horrible smelly room.
Front desk staffs are very unfriendly. A smile would probably kill them. Food was quite horrible and not what you expect with the price you have to pay. It was served cold and when we complained, they just took it and microwave again without a single word of apology.
Overall, not impressed and will not stay again

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
7  Thank cmh1
Reviewed 30 July 2007

I've stayed in many hotels around Malaysia and worldwide, When I booked this hotel for me and my wife, I was expecting good things but this hotel, the staff and various other things were a complete disaster from the moment we arrived.

Our stay was only one night and here are a few of the highlights (lowlights) of our stay.....

Booked a 1 night package deal online, this entitled us to a 24 hour stay so that whatever time we checked in (after 3pm as thats their earliest check in time) we could check out at the same time the following day. We were also entitled to 10% off of food/drink/samsara spa.

Saturday, 5pm, arrived at the hotel and proceeded to check in. I had booked a sea view deluxe (smoking) room. I was then told that they had put us on the 2nd floor which happens to be the only NON smoking floor of the hotel. I told them that we had booked a smoking room and showed them my confirmation which had been printed out at home before we left. Ok, they said, hold on... I was then told that there is a room on the 3rd floor, a smoking room but we would have to wait for an hour for them to get the room ready. Obviously I was unhappy, this was their mistake, why should we suffer! They then said that we could use the room on the 2nd floor which was already ready for an hour to relax and wait for our room to be ready. Ok, thats fair enough, so we went up to the 2nd floor room. We then decided to go for a swim first after a long drive from KL to unwind. We did that and then returned to our room, the rooms use a credit card key system, when we got back to our room, the key we had didn't work. we couldn't get into our room to get changed so still wet from the pool I had to return to reception and they then told us that our 3rd floor room was ready and we should give back the 2nd floor room key! Of course we couldn't do that, all of our stuff was still inside there as we had been locked out! Just crazy. They then gave us the key to the 3rd floor room and also re-activated the key for the 2nd floor room. I then asked them about our package deal, remember, we arrived at 5pm so we should be checking out at 5pm the following day (we paid extra for that package so that we wouldn't have to rush in the morning). No she said, you have to check out by 12! I obviously argued that point and her solution was..... 'well, you can check out at 12:30pm, that will be ok'. Its not ok! We paid for a 24 hour package deal. so she called the supervisor who then confirmed that yes, we could check out at 5pm as that was our package. After all this pointless arguing we finally got to our room at about 6:30pm. great, theres only 30minutes left before the pool closes at 7pm. Well, we decided to just have a quick swim anyway but then, we couldn't put our things in the safe inside the room... It had already been locked when we arrived! Remember, they asked for 1 hour to get this room ready, they couldn't even check that the safe was open and ready to use??? I called them from the room and asked for someone to come up straight away to open the safe, of course sir they said.... I waited but nobody came, I called again..... yes sir, i have informed the supervisor, someone will be with you in 2 or 3 minutes.... I waited again but nothing... I called for the 3rd time and by this time I was very angry, a few minutes later someone came to the room and opened the safe, The problem now though, its already 7:10pm and the pool has closed. Thank you very much. We had a warm shower (the water wasn't hot at all, just slightly warm) and then got on with our evening.

The following day we decided to go for a swim at about 11:30am, the pool is nice, big, clean. poolside food and drinks are quite expensive (RM10.00 for a can of coke) but I guess thats to be expected. After swimming we returned to our room but yet again, Our key didn't work. we were locked out of our room again. Furiously we went down to reception to complain. I asked to speak to the manager. This woman came out a few minutes later but to be honest she had no managerial skills what soever. The customer is always right? not to them. She didn't even apologize for us being locked out of our room... again. 'Let me check for you' she said and then went into the back room. A few minutes later she came back to me and explained what was wrong.... She said that because I had called them this morning from my room and requested a late checkout the room key has expired at 12pm and I have to get it reactivated for a longer stay! She obviously knew nothing about our package, I didn't call anyone that morning to request any late checkouts as I already had a 5pm checkout from my package!! I explained this to her, she was just quiet, again, no apology or any sorts, The only thing she said was... 'well, your key will work now' and that was it. Not exactly great customer service. We returned to our room. About 30 minutes before leaving the hotel at around 4:30pm we decided to take a shower before driving back to KL. As I said, the previous day only had warm water, not hot but this time we had nothing. No hot water at all, turning the tap on did nothing, there was only cold water. One disaster after another. There were other problems during our stay but these were the worst ones.

I would never stay at that hotel again in my entire life and please, learn from my mistake and DO NOT stay at this hotel. Its not cheap (which is fine when you get great service) and they just don't seem to care at all about your stay.

I only gave this place 1 star as 0 stars was not an option.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
7  Thank Twinbee
Reviewed 25 July 2007

My family and I holidayed at Swiss Garden in Kuantan in June and had a wonderful time. The resort was beautiful and the people were so friendly. I loved that it was away from everything so we could just relax. We will definitely be returning for another holiday.

3  Thank Shellfe
Reviewed 12 July 2007

Stayed at this property for 2 nights (23-25 June 2007) after reading good reviews on Tripadvisor. Booked the hotel promotion package for RM220++ pernight (Deluxe garden view w/o breakfast) but later was upgraded to studio room. But requested if we could be upgraded to their newly refurbished Deluxe seaview instead. And this was granted.

Checked in was ok. But as mentioned by previous review the front office staff need to put up more smiles and not too stressful with their jobs. Bellboys and other staff were more lifely.

Overall appearance of the property was impressive. The new lobby was nicely done and cosy too.

The room we were in was huge. New furniture with contemporary design. Our seaview deluxe didn't really give a seaview since our sight was blocked by tall trees. Could be call poolview instead.

The room facilities worked well except a side lamp on the right. Headboard of the king bed was nicely decorated while the floor was wooden flooring. The bathroom aminities was average. There was a huge wall mirror in the bathroom which was nice and gave a spacious effect. There was a bathtub and a shower, modern sink and tap with rotatable face mirror. A minor dissatisfaction we encountered was one of the pillows we got was visiblely stained.

With the price we paid we thinked its really worth it.

The swimmingpool was fantastic. Although it was not as huge as the one in Legend its enough for us. The jacuzzi was fabulous. My wife loved it very much.

The beach was nice too. Morning walk on the beach in early morning was enjoyable and fun. We walked about 2 km every morning and watched the sun rise.

The property's surrounding was well kept, clean and beutiful lancape with lush greenary.Many activities provided for the kids and adults around its compound.

We managed to sample the hotel brakfast at the restaurant. The restaurant itself was nice and cosy while the breakfast I might say above everage but RM40++ per person was a bit too much.

During our stay the wireless internet was not working so have to go to the business cntre for internet. The charges however is quite ok for a hotel rates RM7.50 per half an hour.

All in all we had an enjoyable stay at Swiss Garden Kuantan. Looking forward to come back especially when they finished refurbish other rooms by end of 2007 (I was told).

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank ir_maz
Reviewed 8 July 2007

Our family (2 adults and 2 preteen kids) stayed here recently for a short beachside family break. We have had visited this a coulpe of other times over the last few years usually booking adjoining rooms. We booked this time into a family room which had a musty feel of being infrequently use with cobwebs on the aircon vents in one room. The accomodation was a funny configuration with a windowless childrens' room tacked onto a standard room and sharing the one bathroom - not a good design. The hotel is undergoing refurbishment and the family rooms have not undergone the makeover. The room also overlooked the carpark and the broad expense of the reception area car porch roof. It was very noisy at night from the disco.

We approached the reception about the problems the next day and was promptly moved to a suite which had been refurbished - this was much better with regard to general decor, view, bathroom but 2 extra beds in the living room did cramp it a fair bit.

Breakfast was adequate with minor changes daily. The Chinese restaurant was good value with reasonable choices. We did not eat at the other restaurants this time.

Beach was very long going literally miles in either direction and the hotel is literally on the beach. The beach is relatively clean but water quality was only of middling quality.

The pool is only of moderate size but seemed adequate to cater for the guests.

We did not use the spa on this occasion but my wife had enjoyed the service previously.

There are a number of local restaurants on the main road within walking distance - nothing special and a car would be much better if one intended to try the outside restaurants.

Wireless internet is fairly expensive and service was intermittent.

Staff were invariably polite and helpful during our visit.

We will probably return being local when a good deal is available and will definitely go for a refurbished room when we do.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank kapitian
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuantan
Swiss Garden Resort Residences Kuantan
Samsuria Beach Resort & Residence
Royale Chulan Cherating
Royale Chulan Cherating
#2 of 7 in Cherating

Been to Swiss-Garden Beach Resort Kuantan? Share your experiences!