“Poorly maintained hotel-hard to recommend”

Holiday Villa Beach Resort & Spa Cherating
Ranked #25 of 43 Hotels in Kuantan
Townsville, Australia
“Poorly maintained hotel-hard to recommend”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013

What a shame I can't say too much good about this hotel - so I will start with the bad and end with the good points. We booked one month before arrival - booked Garden Villa as recommended by fellow Trip Advisors. Check in was ok but we were taken to a Capitol room which was of lesser value than the villa we booked as they told us they did not have a villa available on the day - room number 204 was large with king size bed and balcony but at the back of the resort with mouldy bathroom but otherwise a ok room except it was not what I paid for. I complained and they found a available villa so we transferred that night to Villa 216 which was the one furthest from beach and pool with mouldy bathroom (which was otherwise clean - mould is hard to avoid in this humid climate) toilet was constantly running and did not flush everytime we used it, sheets were stained, we got twin beds even though we booked a king size, safe was not operating but they fixed this promptly. When I complained about the above they organised us to move to another villa number 257 - no different to the last one but it was closer to the pool and had a king size bed. 3 different rooms in 2 days - was a pain moving. We only booked 3 nights (thankfully) with option to extend our stay by 5-7 days (which we didn't do - instead we chose to move to another resort). Upon check out they tried to charge me for the 3 nights again even though I had prepaid online before arrival. Phones in room 216 and 257 did not work which meant every time something was not working we had to walk over to reception for help. I organised internet access in the room and that did not work either and had a hassle getting the charge removed from our account.
Good points were helpful staff who tried their best to keep us happy. Buffet breakfast in beach restaurant was fantastic with a great atmosphere. Pool was clean. Internet in foyer area was free and worked good. It's a shame the Holiday Villa Management do not allocate funds for some simple maintenance on this place would bring it up to standard - instead it is tired and run down and I was glad to leave mainly because I did not enjoy having to complain and constantly ask for things to be fixed. Most of the staff were lovely and I say thank you for trying hard to help us have a nice stay. We checked out other hotels while we were there looking for somewhere to move to after our 3 days here. See my other reviews for details. Holiday Villa is 15myr taxi ride from Cherating Village - walk out to main road from Holiday Villa and wave a taxi to stop for you as it is much cheaper than the taxi fare they demand from the reception at Holiday Villa (they wanted 40myr to the village). We paid 70myr from Kuantan Airport to Holiday Villa, Cherating.

Room Tip: Doesn't matter what you ask for when booking - you will have to negotiate on arrival. I will po...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Indonesian first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013

With the international chain hotel name, the hotel just lower than the standard grade of Holiday villa ! the hotel has no maintenance at all, weird smell in the room, fungus in the wall ! Only good things is the beach . Not a pleasant stay and not recommended.. get other hotel elsewhere !

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Kuantan hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

Avoid this place. In fact, avoid Cherating altogether. There is nothing noteworthy about this beach town apart from the clear water. And regarding this hotel, well, to begin with the staff are appalling. Their levels of laziness and glib replies completely take the p*ss out of your holiday. We booked 2 rooms with kingsize beds but were given one that had 2 separate single beds. The reason stated was that Agoda bookings were subject to availability, which is a complete [--] clause that I had no idea about previously. Anyway, there was no option of changing rooms since everything was booked out. From a non-cooling AC to a non-heating geyser, a dysfunctional telephone line to niggling flush problem, the list could go on. All in all, avoid Cherating, leave alone this excuse for a resort. People here wear complete clothing and enter the swimming pool. They do the same at the gorgeous beach. Beer is available at exhorbident rates and it's about 6km down the road where you could score a reasonably priced pint. Cherating lacks any semblance of a beach culture where the locals will stare out women in shorts or a sleeveless tee. I'd skip the entire east coast of Malaysia if I were you. Travel the extra distance and hit Krabi instead for a chilled out beach holiday. Malaysian culture simply can't accommodate it at the moment.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Carl M
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

I stayed here on 14-16 april 2013.
As upon our check in, we were being informed that we will be given bath towels later because they were sent for laundry and not yet ready. What a bad management. We keep waiting and asked the housekeeping about the towels, they were saying still not ready. So we decided to go out and expected the bath towels to be ready once we get back to the hotel. But my towels were still not here yet, and only after 3 times requests, we managed to get the towels at 7pm. Very bad service, only after we were the ones who keeps asking for the towels and only at 7pm they took the action.

You could find a better hotel with a nice and clean room way more better than this one. There was a blood spot on the blanket and the toilet is not that clean and quite small. Hot shower not working well. Tv remote is not functioning.

Overall, not recommended.

• Stayed April 2013
Aasiaat, Greenland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

The location is quite lovely, a seemingly endless beach, warm seas and a garden setting. Sadly the hotel is showing the wear and tear of being a beach-front resort and the maintenance staff are kept very busy.
Definitely do not eat western food at the restaurant as it is quite abominable . . . the Asian cuisine, however, is quite good and the breakfast spread prepares you for a day of . . . doing very little but laze around in one of the two pools or 'brave' the small waves of the sea.
The staff is quite good - very hard-working, helpful to the extreme and the managers bend over backwards to accommodate . . . The bell-boy is always seen running around without complaint . . . at 35 degrees, and the maid service is just as diligent.

One can complain and complain about this property but in the end the service is paramount and whatever needs fixing in the rooms is seen to rather quickly.

Our fourth time here and it is value for money - thanks

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade at check-in . . . if they can, they will
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SingaporeVulture
Petaling Jaya, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

Last weekend I was staying at your hotel for the 1st time. This is my worst experience compare to other hotels all over Malaysia. I book a standard room with a king size bed at RM230 per night for 2 nights. I make my bookings through Agoda. i check in to your hotel as expected last saturday.
1st complain- I was being given a room with 2 single beds attached together. I was not satisfied with the room but there is no more standard room left so I upgraded to a deluxe room which I need to pay an extra of RM100 per night.
Upon changing to a new room I have a 2nd complain - I switch to your new room at about 6pm, I find that there is no bath towel in the room. I call the housekeeping for the towels. They said that they will send me the towels after 7pm. I waited until 7.30pm but my towels are still not here yet. I call the housekeeping again and they said they will send to me in 10mins! By 7.45pm I still dont get the towels, I call again and ask for the towels. Your housekeeping said that the towels were send for laundry outside and they are not back yet. How can such a well known chain hotel do not have extra towels for their customers??? I have to wait until 8.30pm only I get the towels! Do you know me and my wife has yet to have our dinner?!?! We plan to have our bath then go for dinner but my plans were spoilt by your housekeeping.
3rd complain- The bath shower water is too small! Pls check!
4th complain- I ask for extra pillow and was told that RM5 will be charge on each extra pillows! This is the 1st time I stay in a hotel with chargeable pillows!!
5th complain- Normally hotels do have 2 complimentary mineral water for their hotel guest for each room. But I find that your hotel charge me for RM1.50 per bottle! This is ridiculous!!
6th complain - your bathroom door is faulty! We are unable to close the door when we go for our bath!!
Please tell your management that this will be my 1st and last visit to this hotel! I will not recommend my friends to stay in your hotel for whoever who plans to visit Cherating!! Btw, please be inform that I cant locate your duty manager to express my frustration!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Calvin9973
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

Upon booking online for this resort, we told ourself lets just give a try as there are many negatives comment previously. We felt assured as we saw comments were answered by the hotel management on Trip Adivsor.

However, upon check in, there were water stains on the ceiling of our bedroom and bathroom. We requested for a change and the reception personnel did it quickly without much hassle.

We were changed to a Deluxe room, same as our booking but with a better view. We had a pool view and on the ground floor.Our room is a walking distance to the beach as stated on their website.

The resort does not have their own water sport facility, though can be arrange, but we decided to try their own go-kart. It was exciting. They told us that paint ball is also coming in few weeks time.

We did not try the restaurant for dinner as we need to rush for the fire flies trip in Cherating village. Hafiz our boatman was simply the highlight of our tour.

Overall, we enjoyed our quick weekend getaway from Singapore and definitely will come back
Cheers~

Room Tip: Request for a pool view room
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank raymondlky
HVCherating, Manager at Holiday Villa Beach Resort & Spa Cherating, responded to this review, 24 February 2013
Dear Sir / Madam

Greetings from Holiday Villa Beach Resort & Spa Cherating,

First & foremost, we would like to express a truly apologies in the inconvenience that occurred during your vacation in our hotel.

Resort’s room refurbishment is ongoing at the moment in order to ensure that our rooms are upkeep at the best level.

Once again the Management & Staff wishes to express our appreciation for your kind comments and we will ensure that MANJA hospitality will be extended to our guest. We do also hope to see you again soon.

We once again thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcome you again.

The management
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuantan
Residence Inn Cherating
Samsuria Beach Resort & Residence
Suria Cherating Beach Resort, Kuantan
Swiss-Garden Beach Resort Kuantan
Cherating Eastana Beach Resort

Been to Holiday Villa Beach Resort & Spa Cherating? Share your experiences!