“Worked for us”

Cuisines: Malaysian
Hexham, United Kingdom
“Worked for us”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Went looking for food in Ipoh and ended up at M Salim's. It's not aimed at vegetarians but a bit of negotiation with the helpful waiter got us some tasty onion dosas and some onion rotis too. Together with a couple of cans of soft drinks, this cost us 11 Ringgits for two of us (about £2). I loved it.

• Visited April 2014

Terrebonne, Canada
“Disapointing”
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

We went there full of expectations but we had a hard time choosing and the waiter just looked at us with contempt and didn't answer our questions. In the end we took what the lonely planet suggested and it was pretty good but lacked vegetables and we could not order any...yesterday we went to the best indian restaurant and the guy was so nice he suggested many things and it was more complete

Sydney, Australia
“Disappointing dining experience”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Went there with my family for lunch with high expectations as we were told by some locals that this is one of the better mamak restaurant in town. Ordered 2 fish head curries and mutton curry amongst others. Fish head curry was very poor compared with the ones we have had in Singapore - they were served with sauce from the pre-cooked fish curry and topped with vegies that were sitting at the front of the restaurant. The mutton were expensive and quite tough. Bill came to $250 ringgit for 6 people. Overall, a very disappointing meal and would not bother again.

• Visited August 2013
UK
“Really tasty food and amazing value”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Have just had dinner here and I'm sorry that I'm leaving Ipoh tomorrow morning so can't come back for more. The staff speak little English but just enough to help you choose your meal. Our waiter suggested rotis, and these were definitely the best I have ever had, and we then tucked into a rich, dark chicken curry and a dahl, then an amazingly tender and tasty mutton curry. The rotis kept on coming, fresh off the grill, to mop up the delicious sauces and we ate until we were stuffed. The bill for all this, including a couple of cans of soft drinks, came to 30 ringgits for both of us ( £6 !). I don't think that have have ever had such a great value meal in many years of travelling.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank dbottomley
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Nasi Ganja a.k.a Vanggey”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I was born here in Ipoh. I saw one of the comment here stated that Restoran M Salim is Nasi Ganja. I just want to make a correction because Nasi Ganja to locals, refer to Restoran Yong Suan which locate at the same building(block) with Restoran M Salim. Nasi Ganja is very popular to locals as I am a regular customer since i was a kid around 1980's. I never missed a trip to Nasi Ganja till now when i got back to my hometown. Locals are flocks here specially during lunch our. You need to wait for a long queue during this hour.

• Visited March 2013