“Happy meal ! Best pizza in town !”

Michelangelo's Pizzeria
Ranked #12 of 477 Restaurants in Ipoh
Cuisines: Italian, American, Pizza
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Ipoh's first and only True Authentic AMERICAN Rock 'n' Roll Wood Fire Pizzeria. Every item here is made exactly how we would do it back in Chicago / New York. Everything is made fresh in the pizzeria, we believe in commitment and keep all our recipes exactly as they were the day we started. All pizzas are cooked at 750f degress in a real wood fire oven, hand tossed. We offer pizzas, pastas, salads and sweets. This is as close to America you can get without actually being there.We are a fmaily place where the music is played loud (retro 70's-90's rock and pop) and you can jump up on the counter and dance for a free pizza.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Happy meal ! Best pizza in town !”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Excellent pizza ! Environment great for for friends or family occasions. U may not enjoy the environment if u dislike the loudness of music . Happy faces from the Co workers delighted your meal ! .

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Mui W
Michael O, Owner at Michelangelo's Pizzeria, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Thank you Mui, for your review. Yes we do offer loud music as we are a Rock N Roll American Pizzeria where you are welcome to jump up on the counter and dance for a free Margarita pizza if you wish. Glad to see you liked our place and hope to see you again soon.

Michael

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Ipoh, Malaysia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It's a bit cheesy, but best pizza in town”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The great warm smell of freshly made pizza and sound of the exciting music will draw you into this cozy pizzeria :). And it will be one of the best choices you made when looking for a great place to eat. Not only is the food great, from the simple but exquisite caesar salad to the extremly flavourful extreme hog pizza (which more for the meat lovers), the waiters are kind and enthusiastic. Makes you feel as if you have been transported to a pizza place you would stop by in New York. However make sure you save space for dessert, as they are amazing :) personally I always go for the three cheese pizza and Carbonara :) and the cheese cake if I haven't already stuffed my face. I definitely recommend you go to Michelangelos pizzariea :) remember to bring friends and family because it's best to share :)

1 Thank Jennpuff
Ipoh, Malaysia
“The best pizza ever :)”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Not only does the loud exciting music draw you into this cute cosy pizzeria, but the happy faces of the workers and the delightful smell of the pizza has you captivated. From the fresh crunchy Caesar salad to the oh so heart warming pizzas, from the humble margherita, to the more spectacular and flavorful more complex pizzas, such as THE HOG EXTREME. Not only does the food come fast but the waiters are charismatic and helpful. Don't forget to save space for a desert, because the cheesecake is to die for. :D DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE A TIP :D

1 Thank Jenpuff
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best service + food, bonus to cleaniness”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Excellent ceasar salad with thick bacon. Next will be the JALAPENO wrapped with cheese and bacon. By this time i was totally filled up . Then came the CABONARA, HOG pizza and BLUE
CHEESE pizza. Temptation came and i was overwhelmed. No regrets, it was well
worth. Lastly, eventhough i do not have sweet tooth, i still dunk my teeth into a slice of CHEESE cake and BROWNIES. Both were heavenly but limited myself on the portion. That's the only way to indulge more on the fantastic pizzas. Lastly the ambience and service was excellent without frills.
Our 20th century dictionary has left out these 2 words "service" & "politeness" but you can find it here.

• Visited May 2014
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“No single-serving pizzas, brownie a bit too sweet, clean-up AFTER customers have left”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

After reading so much about the food here, I felt that I had to try it out when I was over in Ipoh. I made my way here from across the other end of town, and arrived just after 9.30pm. I was then told that they close at 10pm, so I quickly made my orders (was planning to have some pizzas and beers).

The interior had a cozy ambience, interesting wall decor and background music. Didn't really have much time to soak everything in, as I was in a rush to order and finish my meal before they close.

I ordered the much-talked-about hog extreme pizza. However, the pizzas do not come in single servings, and I was told that I may not be able to finish a whole pizza by myself. As such, I had to skip this. Shucks - I could only gaze at the pizza that the next table had ordered...

As I was not keen on spaghetti, my next option was cakes. I ended up ordering a cheesecake, as well as the warm brownie, which was recommended by reviewers. The cheesecake was ok, but I find the fudged brownie a tad too sweet.

From the time I entered, the hardworking staff there were already starting to clean up the place for the night. Although I have no qualms about that, I would appreciate that they do NOT turn the chairs up on the tables until after the customers have left. It gives one the uneasy feeling that we are being shooed away.

Overall, I did not have a chance to try out the pizza, so no comment on it. Perhaps this joint can start offering single serving pizzas, so that customers can also order a variety of pizzas to try. I ended up going over to another place for some proper food after that.

1 Thank Charles C
Michael O, Owner at Michelangelo's Pizzeria, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Charles,

First, thank you for giving us a try, we are happy that you did and hope you will come back in again next time and try the pizza you wanted. Yes we only have one size but you of course could have taken the pizza home with you as the pizza is just as good the next day either cold or warmed up. In fact many pizzerias in the US do sale this as an option day old pizzas.

The brownie is suppose to be sweet, it is a dessert and everything we do here is exactly as we would do in America. The brownie is homemade that is made with dark chocolate, milk chocolate, cocoa powder and semi-sweet chocolate and the caramel sauce is real and also homemade thus it is made up of pure sugar and water. This is one of our most sought after items.

Also our cheese cake is one of the very few REAL New York cheesecake in Malaysia. The recipe we use is from a place in New York City that was one of the very first two restaurants to ever create and serve NY Cheesecake since 1940's.

About cleaning the place up, our staff are instructed not to put the chairs up until we are actually closed, Tue-Thur and Sun that is 10:00PM and Fri-Sat that is 10:30 PM. Yes even if there are customers there at that time they are welcome to stay and eat as we will take an order all the up till the very last minute, however on tables not being used we do start to clean and put chairs away. Reason for this is simple economics. Once we close we do not make any more money and yet we do still have to pay hourly wages to all our staff and pay all the utilities and if a customer is there for an hour after we close then we will lose out on that hour. Being in the F&B buisiness we do need to be very careful on expenses in order to keep our prices down. However they will never start to do that while we are officially open. And yes sometimes we do move customers out if they have been there a bit too long and others are waiting for a table in order to give other customers a chance at a table. This is a normal practice back in the States and we follow it here as well, but we do that is a very kind way.

Lastly we are unable to offer single servings as stated above it is about economics. When we first opened we had two types of crusts however we ended up throwing away a lot of doughs a night becuase of not being ordered. It is very hard to determine about how many single serving pizzaas there will be each day and thus hard to figure out the amount of single dough balls we would need to make, it takes our dough 24 hours to rise and ferment as well. We serve a lot of single diners who will order a half and half pizza and take home the rest, perhaps next time you could give this a try.

Hope to see you again soon.