“Excellent Pizza”

Ranked #15 of 577 Restaurants in Ipoh
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Ipoh's first and only True Authentic AMERICAN Rock 'n' Roll Wood Fire Pizzeria. Every item here is made exactly how we would do it back in Chicago / New York. Everything is made fresh in the pizzeria, we believe in commitment and keep all our recipes exactly as they were the day we started. All pizzas are cooked at 750f degress in a real wood fire oven, hand tossed. We offer pizzas, pastas, salads and sweets. This is as close to America you can get without actually being there.We are a fmaily place where the music is played loud (retro 70's-90's rock and pop) and you can jump up on the counter and dance for a free pizza.
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Definitely the best pizza in town and wider afield. Busy and lots of people, so be prepared to take away. Great staff. Friendly and helpful owner.

2  Thank AmarHSS

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We went there hoping to satisfy our cravings for pizza and it was my friends' first visit however, I must say the staffs there appeared to be quite snobbish and arrogant which pretty much affected our visit there this time round, though the pizza was quite tasty, to be fair.

They kept telling us that we are not allowed to wait for our friend who was rushing to come over, due to their absurd seating rules (staffs were constantly asking us when is my friend reaching as we are not allowed to occupy the very tiny table for too long because their boss aims to maximize profit, according to the staff - there you go, total turn off). We were also told that my friend who was late will not be allowed to enter if she comes later on. Seriously, we immediately lost appetite while munching on our first pizza (FYI, we planned to order an additional pizza and carbonara when my friend arrives but we were quite offended and paid the bill anyway after finishing our first pizza).

We felt like we were not appreciated as customers and they would make you feel guilty for taking up the tiny table at the corner. If the tables were all occupied then I would totally understand but there were still a couple of vacant tables next to us.

Based on the defensive replies I've read from Michelangelo's to reviewers who gave negative reviews here on Tripadvisor, I'm not surprised now with the attitude of the arrogant staffs.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the first and definitely not the only one facing this problem while visiting the highly recommended pizzeria with high hopes of good service and great pizza.

Definitely do not appreciate the service given but thank you for the good quality pizza.

6  Thank SyuenLM
Michael O, Owner at Michelangelo's Pizzeria, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear SyuenLM,

I am certain my staff "did not" say we try to maximize our profit. What they would have said very clearly is that because your friend has not arrived and because we have very limited amount of tables, we would need to wait until he/she arrived. The reason for this as stated on previous comments is because we do not know how long it will be until your friend arrives. Many times we have been told, and I do mean many times we have been told they will be here in about 5-10 minutes when in fact it took them more than 30-45 minutes to show up. That is why we ask for all parties to be present. the fact that there were 2-3 empty tables even shows our point more. If, just if your friend had come 3045 minutes later, we would have less tables for those who ere there as full parties. Also meaning that once your friend arrived, your table might sit around even longer than normal thus taking away a chance for another group to have a table there. Therefore if was about profit I would not mind you staying there and spending more money. No, it is in fact in order to give all customers a fair and equal chance at a table and about the same amount of time. With all due respect, we have had so many people in the past that had said their friends were on the way and more than 45 minutes wet by and then they were there for another hour and in the mean time there were parties outside who were all there but could not get in because of that. You sad we are arrogant, but how is that so when we are actually trying to be fair to all customers. Yet every now and then there are customers who d not want to understand nor try to realize we are not in business to be rude, why would we be, We obviously have 5 years experience dealing with this and know how to make it s all people have a fair chance and that is the only reasons we do this.

When you only have 15 tables of various sizes and you have a lot of people outside waiting you have to manage your tables and by the way we are "not" the only one like this in Malaysia: Planet Hollywood in KL, Chili's in Penang, Hard Rock Cafe in KL all d the exact same and while we are not them, we do have the same problems sometimes about seating people and we just ask our customers t try t be understanding. IT is not "our" fault when you agree to meet at a certain time and "your" friend is the one who is late. Next time might we suggest wen you arrange a time to meet that you try to have your friends show up on time. Yes we to take offense that we get blamed when all we are doing s our very best, we have it posted on our door in two places about the exact thing above and yet it is a person who is late and we get the blame for it. Why not instead write a review about friends not being or showing up on time and making their friends wait? Or is that too arrogant to suggest to put the blame on the person who is too blame?

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Got here by chance, but it was the best pizza I have had in a reaaaallly long time. Makes you wonder for a moment that such a place could exist in a small town like Ipoh. The food was so tasty that I was fighting with my friends over the leftovers. Totally worth the price, the music was great, the ambience first class, felt like I had been transported to New York. It is a must visit, if you do end up in Ipoh, and you're done with Chinese or Malaysian food

1  Thank Mithunbk
Michael O, Owner at Michelangelo's Pizzeria, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Mithunbk, thank you for you comments and review. Glad you enjoyed everything and had a nice time, instead of fighting over the last pieces next time, just order up another hehe we'll get it out to you within 6 minutes or so.

Thank you again for such nice words.

Michael

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Excellent pizza ! Environment great for for friends or family occasions. U may not enjoy the environment if u dislike the loudness of music . Happy faces from the Co workers delighted your meal ! .

1  Thank Mui W
Michael O, Owner at Michelangelo's Pizzeria, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Thank you Mui, for your review. Yes we do offer loud music as we are a Rock N Roll American Pizzeria where you are welcome to jump up on the counter and dance for a free Margarita pizza if you wish. Glad to see you liked our place and hope to see you again soon.

Michael

Reviewed 4 June 2014

The great warm smell of freshly made pizza and sound of the exciting music will draw you into this cozy pizzeria :). And it will be one of the best choices you made when looking for a great place to eat. Not only is the food great, from the simple but exquisite caesar salad to the extremly flavourful extreme hog pizza (which more for the meat lovers), the waiters are kind and enthusiastic. Makes you feel as if you have been transported to a pizza place you would stop by in New York. However make sure you save space for dessert, as they are amazing :) personally I always go for the three cheese pizza and Carbonara :) and the cheese cake if I haven't already stuffed my face. I definitely recommend you go to Michelangelos pizzariea :) remember to bring friends and family because it's best to share :)

1  Thank Jennpuff