“Dont stay in this hotel if possible cos the rooms facing the petrol station will be infused with petrol smell at night.”

Ipoh Downtown Hotel
Ranked #17 of 62 Hotels in Ipoh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

We have 2 families checked in on the 28 Dec for night. I noticed the chain lock of the door was broken and the parts were left on the cabinet near the door. I called reception to inform them but was instead questioned ,(quote:)"how come the chain is broken?" Instead of offering solution I was questioned.
An hour later, the room started to smell of petrol and it got stronger for the rest of the night. Then I realised that 2 petrol stations are just beside the hotel. Called the reception again to ask for a change of room but unfortunately, the rooms are fully booked. Finally the receptionist knocked at the door and offered me 'Fabreez', a kind of clothes freshener to be sprayed into the air condition vent myself which is situated up in the ceiling!I solved the problem myself after opened the bathroom window the whole night through.
The next morning, we were made to wait for more then 10 minutes while the house keeping staff checked our rooms. I was told that a face towel was lost and they wanted to charge me for that. I told them to look carefully and even suggested the possible places to find and they finally found it. They didn't even apologised for suspecting me of theft. What an insult! Their towels are not of the best quality to start of with!
Overall, the staffs serve their customers with 'poker face ' and can't communicate well in English.
They are many other better hotels in ipoh that one can choose with that kind of room
rate they are charging. I will never stay in that hotel again.

• Stayed December 2013
4 Thank Chrisdreamoftravel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Perth WA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

The good:

* LOCATION, LOCATION: close to food places (behind the hotel, make sure you explore), a street market/food stall across the road, infront of a school, San Tiek (Hokkien pronunciation) or San Te (Mandarin) 三德. Great food at the market stall, cheap, cheerful, fresh, just don't expect fancy tables, you know the drill ... 3 service stations (petrol stations for the UK/C'wealth readers; gas station, for US readers & those who speak American English) next door, the huge shopping centre is a short walk past the service stations though when we were there, scaffolding covered the front so we took the long-winded way to get there. Short way is out the hotel's front door, turn left, heading past the service/petrol stations and just keep walking until you see the front door/car park.

* Water dispenser in the lobby - cold & hot. I like this because I can refill bottles, making a minor contribution to fewer plastic bottles, reducing (however minutely) my carbon footprint

* FFT (friend & fellow traveller) says: new & clean. When I push for any more to add to the likes, silence. 'Close to the Hawkers?'

* Mini (very mini) mart within the hotel's premises. Limited but it's there. Service/petrol station next door was a Shell & had a larger range, almost reminded me of what I get at home (Perth Metro Area, WA, Aust)

* Room 217 has a view of the streets, a 2-seater sofa. The bathroom window gets the morning sunlight but the 'built-in robe' made a great clothes-drying place. Shower was comfy, had doors that opened in or out, had a telephone-head as well as overhead shower head. The flexible or 'telephone' shower head had a mist setting, which I liked

* A ramp

* Doorman, a tall Indian man, was very friendly & offered good 'tips' for local food places

Now the quibbles (grizzles, grumbles, cons, minuses & perhaps some suggestions):

~ there is a Chinese saying about a person sans smiling face NOT opening a shop. Well, the staff in this hotel have NEVER heard this saying. FFT described her first encounter with the staff: not welcoming at all. The second encounter? Downright RUDE! Not a good impression, folks, especially not to one like me, who has stayed in some basic hostels & felt welcomed

~ the first night! we had to have earplugs & noise-cancellation headphones on. Not qute sure why but APART from the air conditioner was the noise of some unknown item or process & it sounded about as loud as airplane engines, except not muted by the noise-cancelling headphones. It DID STOP (thank heavens for small mercies) but it made the falling asleep process very tiring

~ Breakfast: good for omnivores like me, had savoury porridge (aka congee or rice porridge), rice and noodles. This works for Asian palates. The toaster is one of those small ovens so it takes about 10-15 mins to toast 2 pieces of bread, if you like them 'tanned', which FFT does. I like my bread just barely warm & pale! I imagine that if there had been MORE patrons for breakfast, there may have been 'toast rage' or at the very least, frustrated toast-fanciers

~ We were there on Christmas Day & I guess the staff who had either drawn the short straws were non-Christians or simply those who had to work that day. I have no issue with their faith but as a hotel patron, I have an issue with them as staff. They appeared bored, indifferent. As someone who worked in hotels for a very brief period in my younger days, I have a problem with staff who look as if they'd rather be anywhere but here. Suggested solution: the Aust way WAS (not sure if still IS) to pay those staff extra if they worked on Christmas Day. And I have a memory of being SERVED Christmas lunch by our F&B manager. Nice treat then & it made me happier to work on New Year's Eve, knowing I had something to look forward to. And the large pay packet (as it was in those days) was a bonus!

~ FFT had a voucher which showed that she had pre-paid & staff charged her credit card, was told "it's your fault, you should have told us." Guess things have changed since I was working in a hotel ... or the staff have not experienced being guests at OTHER hotels where guests would not hear the kind of tone used on FFT. Even at the humblest of hostels from my youth, I would not have expected nor heard that kind of tone.

To be fair, I got some good service from a woman in reception (who wore a head scarf) when I asked for a plug adapter for the TV & as mentioned earlier, the doorman was very cheery, helpful & seemed to be one who 'liked being there'.

Would I return? Probably not. Recommend to a friend? Unlikely. Perhaps as a last resort or to send them on a mission to see if things changed ... There are others in this town with more to recommend them.

Room Tip: Higher floors may have less street noise. Be aware some rooms have NO windows. We were in Room 217...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank sapere_aude828

Travellers are raving about these Ipoh hotels

Subang Jaya, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

Good location - walking distance to food center. Room ok except all throughout the night hearing knocking/meddling at the door. Fortunately to get a car park at the side even though parking lot was small. Staff not friendly at all and was rude (making rude eye gesture) when I refused to sign for invoice (folio) for 3 rooms when we actually occupy only 2 rooms... No doubt we pay only the charge for 2 rooms, but this is double accounting and is not correct... meant to impress future investors ?

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank kskhim
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

The location is excellent. Ipoh's famous dim sum street is just behind the hotel. Jalan Yau Tet Shin which is famous for Taugeh Chicken is just 5 minutes walk. Ipoh Parade Shopping mall is also 5 minutes walk way. Old town is 20 minutes on foot. There are several convenient stores near the hotel too. If you are driving, the petrol stations are just beside the hotel.

This hotel is new. Room furnishing is in very good condition. We had a family room (Room 213). The double bed is King size and single is a Super Single. The aircon is central system so it was a bit noisy and room temperature varied at different spots. Room has a hairdryer and a safe. WIFI signal is strong.

Breakfast buffet selection was limited.

The only downside was we wanted to book a taxi for 2 adults and 3 young kids for half-a-day. After 20 minutes wait, a 10-seater passenger van turned up. It was an overkill and I was not willing to pay more for a big van. I rejected the van as the staff did not make it clear to us that they booked a van. So make sure you ask what vehicle they are booking for you.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank chionh
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

First of all... Ipoh is one our my favorite place to visit in malaysia. Food are cheap, no traffic jam..
so thinking of give this new hotel a try. The first impression was when we reached this hotel 1)Limited car parks - couldn't find a car park...i strongly suggest we should left...but my friends insist give a try...so i had no choice to park opposite the food center and walk over.
2)When i on the acorn in the room, the acorn sound very noisy like an old model...thinking of how am i going to sleep in night? make complaint they sent their maintenance to wash and fix back the filter...(Why don't wash it b4 customer check in?)
3)The front office stuffs always in one kind of mood... "without smile at all"
4)Breakfast very limited choices so need to go out for makan then since ipoh city full of good food.
5)nothing special to highlight only the location are in the city center.

p/s: for ppl who prefer to have a short stay can give a try.

Room Tip: Short stay ok, stay higher floor less noise
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank golfsiong
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stayed here for 1 night in a deluxe room facing the back. Was quiet except we could hear doors slamming all through the night. The room was adequate although there were some deficiencies:
1. Insufficient power plug points.. only 3 in room used by TV, kettle and hairdryer. So we had to unplug to use the power points
2. Air conditioning was noisy
3. Limited car parks - we were fortunate to find a bay right outside the hotel
4. Limited breakfast choices, limited tables/chairs - luckily we were early

Other than that, we really liked the location. We enjoyed the food and all within walking distance.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

Thinking of give a try of this new hotel... i guess newly open for few months only...In house stuffs really need more training... no even want to speak english...and very unfriendly too... tried to ask more questions and show me the face... omg... check in quite late and request for extra mineral water...wait until i call up and remind then again n again... can't get my extra bed either... wordless..what had happened to the management? Stuffs nvn communicate at all! I also request to change room coz facing the main road the sound really noisy during the night...but finally they be able to change for me...Only good thing left for me is the location...

Room Tip: Noisy at night! better choose behind roll if you could...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family