Heritage Hotel Ipoh
Ranked #48 of 63 Hotels in Ipoh
Reviewed 3 February 2008

i just stayed in this so called a nice hotel 2 days ago (1-2 Feb 08) . my greatest mistake was to bring my family. the first thing i saw when i entered the room was crocroaches in the basin. i had to kill with toilet papers! then when my wife shouted from the bathroom; the water in the basin was not flowing. and the water from the bath tub would overflow coming out from the floor.
ok, the next "pet" of this hotel was a bunch of ants 'marching' on the tables! the room also was smelly. and dusty. all of us came back home with flu and skin allergy!
i made complaints to the front desk. but i was given by a blank look. the person that stood there was either pretending stupid or he really was an moron! no action taken!
public! if u want a place to stay in IPOH, please do not go there! this is the unsafe place.
malaysia government; tourism department, are u guys sleeping? go out there get your duty done!
this going to be a shame to this country!

Stayed: February 2008
4  Thank carcinoma

Reviewed 22 January 2008

The hotel itself doesn't look too bad from the outside. Even the 2nd level restaurant and lounge area looks very nice. It certainly would have been a very nice 4 star hotel when it first opened in 1997.

But alas it seems the management have not bothered at all to maintain this place and they are cutting costs everywhere to save a buck or two.

From dirty lobby and ballroom toilets, insufficient lighting and air-conditioning; to the mess that the rooms are in.

The rooms itself are clean, but terribly worn-out and musty. Its hard to feel comfortable sleeping here because of moldy bathroom ceilings, stained and musty carpets, grey bath towels and that terrible musty smell and humid feeling. I did find the beds comfortable enough to sleep in though.

Breakfast was poor. There was not alot of choice and what they had was usually dry and bland. I found it much better going out for breakfast. However the chinese restaurant located in this hotel does have excellent food.

At about RM$140/night for a 4 star hotel, it would seem like a bargain. But I've stayed in 3 star hotels that were much better than this. I stayed for two nights and found it bearable. But I'd think twice about coming back here.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tequila888
Reviewed 3 December 2007

We chose this hotel as it seemed a jolly good value hotel, costing only £27 per night including breakfast and classed as 4 stars. But alas, it has surpassed its "glory days". The whole hotel is sadly neglected.....tables, chairs, beds, etc are old, dirt- stained, with tatty upholstery which are thread-bare and filthily stained. Crockery, although clean, are chipped and mismatched with cheap cutlery......most unbefitting of a 4* hotel.
The bedrooms are large and spacious. Again, the furniture, soft furnishings and bedding are stained, dirty and unsightly to folks who know and expect to see 4* rated cleanliness etc. With such dilapidation, I feel this hotel is not worthy of any ratings.
However, much credit goes to the reception staff who has to face unhappy customers, demanding for cleaner and presentable towels, bedsheets etc. The lack lustre, heavily stained though clean, linen, unfortunately, makes one squirm with discomfort after a shower! I dare you to dry yourself with a towel which has all kinds of old unremoved stains or sleep on what was once upon a time white bed linen, now worn, tatty, stained and yellowish.
There is no evening entertainment, poor porter service and no concierge available. Bar services do not appear to be available except in the restaurants.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank slowplod
Reviewed 24 September 2007

My husband's friend held a wedding reception at the hotel and so asked us if we wanted to book a room there. We agreed to it. Our BIGGEST mistake was we didn't physically check the room before we finally decided to stay there. The moment we entered the corridor, there was bad smell. Once we went into the room, we were in shock as the carpet was filthy. So were the walls. The toilet was dirty and I didn't dare to lift the toilet seat. There were even ants in the toilet. So far, I have never stayed in a hotel that has ants in the rooms or even the toilet. They claimed that they just did a spring cleaning to the room but we could see ants marching on the small table, next to the armchair. After 30mins, we decided to leave and stay at a better hotel. The duty manager was very inexperienced and the housekeeping was TERRIBLE. For RM160++/nite, it was not worthy at all.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank iLuvGiggsy
Reviewed 22 September 2007

Rating score - 1 to 5 (1 : Terrible and 5 - Execellent)

Room type: Executive
Stay: 1 night

Cleanliness - 2
Overall the room is clean but not up to the executive standard in par with other hotels I stayed in overseas/ other states

Housekeeping - 1
Terrible, there is no blanket provided!!

Room Facilities - 1
TV model: Sharp model 20H-SC
All channels are unclear. I think this is an ancient TV which is obsolete in the market long ago.

Safety Box - It is not unlocked for new guests upon check in, where do they expect their valued in-house guests (like me) to put their valuables??

The room is not REFURNISHED as claimed, all the furnitures are just very old!

Conclusion:
The price RM2xx we paid for is NOT WORTH at all. I just feel that there is no difference if comparing this so-called 'Executive Room' with a normal standard room out there.

One more thing, if you need to pay for the breakfast in this hotel, please DO NOT go for it!! Limited choice of food and tasteless! If I'm given a choice either to sleep or eat in this hotel, i will rather choose to sleep without blanket!!!!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank TravellerKL
Reviewed 14 January 2007

This is the worst hotel I ever stayed in. A group of us, 3 couples and 2 young adults checked into this hotel on Dec 31 for 2 nights. The rooms were very dirty and the sheets had not been changed. The bathrooms were a schocking mess with mold covered walls.
We paid for a breakfast and much to our disgust the breakfast was stone cold. We left without eating.
We checked out of this hotel after one night. I am writing this to warn other tourist about this hotel. Please avoid this place.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MinnesotaJourneyman
Reviewed 15 June 2006

I do not know where to start with how awful this hotel is so I'll start at the beginning...
My girlfriend and I along with another couple reserved two rooms for three nights at the "Heritage", as we were told it is one of the nicer hotels which is reasonably priced in the area. We were also able to get a substantial discount and a due to some perks.
On arrival the lobby is large, bland but looked clean so I thought it should be a good stay and value for money. Booking in was easy, and so was getting to the rooms but that is as good as it gets because that is when the horror began...
When I got into my room the first thing I noticed was a horrible musty smell. The second thing that got my attention was the small group of ants along a the small table next to the television where I put my suitcase. Straight away we felt dirty and itchy, and wanted to get out of the room. And this is even before I took at the rest of the room which was large but very shabby and dark. Carpets and bed coverings looked old and very worn out, the stains on them did not make them look very inviting either (we did not even sit on it!). By this time I was too scared to look in the bathroom and believe me I did not spend very long in there. Either the shower curtain was supposed to an interesting mix of white, green and black colours or it was very mouldy, your guess is as good as mine. Sure enough I found the other couple in back in the hallway with the same complaints.
We all went back down to the lobby to complain about the state of the room and after some pursuading we were all upgraded to a deluxe room. These rooms are basically the same as the superior except the bathrooms did look cleaner, the bedrooms were brighter and the bedsheets were all cotton. My girlfriend and I had barely taken a look at the room when the couple came running into our room asking us to go next door to take a look at their bed. What I saw was shocking, right in the middle of the bed was a great big dirty moth and it had been there for so long that it had died (maybe it was waiting for room service). Surrounding it were a few smaller darker dots, but when I took a closer look the dots were ants going to and from the moth. I took a better look in my room and the result was the same minus the moth.
This time the manager was called to the room to take a look for herself and found it very difficult thinking of something to say to us. The manager said that she understands how shocked we were but our expectations were too high and that insects are expected in Malaysia. She did not have anything to say after we told her that we had just stayed in another hotel in Malaysia which was larger, cheaper and much cleaner.
The manager said that we could no longer be upgraded and even though we did not want to stay at the hotel any longer we agreed to go and take a look at another deluxe room, but this time the manager was present. We went straight to look at the bed and pulled the sheets back and found the sheets were stained light brown. The manager's reaction was "That cannot be cleaned", and then a couple of ants showed their head from under the pillow. That was it, we wanted to leave the room and the hotel. But not before I noticed a couple of ants on top of the kettle which I pointed out to the manager as I lifted it up, and revealed more than a handful of ants clustered on the table top. It did not take us very long to leave the room (manager included), get our bags and run for the hills.
After that it was relatively easy checking out, getting our money back and leaving a trail dust as we booked into a much cheaper, basic but cleaner hotel. The end.

• Stayed: May 2006