“Great location, poor everything else”

Swiss-Garden Beach Resort Damai Laut
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Lumut
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Great location, poor everything else”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

The location is just fine with the hotel sprawling over a huge area. Pity about everything else. The flies are a real nuisance, apparently from a chicken farm some ways away, but the hotel does next to nothing to keep them away. They are especially irritating (not to mention hazardous) during meal times as they are literally in the restaurant and hovering over your food. Rooms are outdated and poorly maintained. It's a 4 star hotel in name, but effectively, think of it like a 3 star property and pay accordingly.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank lipita
SwissGardenLumut, General Manager at Swiss-Garden Beach Resort Damai Laut, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
From the General Manager,

Thank you for choosing us as your preferred holiday destination. Thank you also for your comments. Our resort is located amidst tropical forest and comprise of jungle residents who may wander to our premises. Despite conscientious measures to filter their presence, various environmental conditions have impeded our efforts to eliminate them completely. However, measures are still being taken to reduce their presence. We do appreciate hearing from you as your comments are vitals for us to continue improving our services and facilities.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

I knew this hotel is far from anywhere before I made my reservation, well, if the I can enjoy the hotel, who cares. We checked in few days before Christmas into a deluxe room for the rate of MYR 322 per night. I thought that was a reasonable price for a 5-star hotel.

Soon I realized I was wrong, it wasn't value for money at all. The whole place may be superb 10 or 15 years ago but it now appeared to be very run down, problem like bathtub with stubborn stains, rusted towel rods, cracked wooden door, leaking stain plaster ceiling and many more.

When we checked in, we found out the safe wasn't working and we called for maintenance. We waited 1 1/2 hour with couple of follow up and impatient calls before the maintenance guy came and tried to fix it. We were then told there is only one (1) maintenance person working on that day, poor guy, I am sure the condition of that hotel will keep him busy all day long.

Small issue such as no hand towel in the room, no tooth brush, tooth paste & comb and etc.

This is also the first hotel I ever encountered that the housekeeping staff forgot to replace us towels after they did the house keeping.

The pool water is a bit milky, the lights in pool weren't turned on at night, I suppose they were broken. Swimming pool is closed at 7pm sharp, even pool towel counter closed at the same time.

Breakfast hasn't got much variety and food is also bad. Making it worse, the restaurant was clearly under staff. I heard some guest even threw bread to the waiter because they waited too long to get the table clear.

Anyway, this is just another bad review of this hotel. I will never return, unless they closed down for a total make over and perhaps some management change too.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Tengyong
SwissGardenLumut, General Manager at Swiss-Garden Beach Resort Damai Laut, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
From the General Manager

On behalf of the management, i would like to express my regrets on the experience you have had with us. We wish to allay your concern by assuring you that our service standards remains an utmost priority to our group of hotels in all area which includes cleanliness, maintenance, hospitality and quality of physical facilities as well as delivery of services.

Thank you for your comments and we do appreciate hearing from our customers, as your comments are vital for us to continue improving our services.

Travellers are raving about these Lumut hotels

South Dakota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

Stayed for 1 night here, got a Deluxe room with sea facing, the room really was not sea-facing from inside. Have to get out of room at the balcony to get the view. Our room was in the 5th floor, easy access to the lobby. The Deluxe room had 2 single beds, were combined together so we can sleep altogether (had a 3 year old child), was a bit uncomfortable really. Tried to change it at the time we checked-in but other rooms with king bedding were all full.

We got issues with the wc toilet as the flush handle was broken, causing water to flow unstoppable. The noise of it was really annoying all day long, called the receptionist to get it fixed, went out and when we came back nothing changed. I guess they cannot be fixed on the same day so we had to live with it. The bathtub was old and looked so dirty, can only used the shower for bathing. All in all the room is a bit disssapointing to us.

Honestly, we love the pool so much! It was beautiful, large and my daughter just enjoyed it.

About the food, dine-in definitely a good choice since going out for dinner is way too far however, it was a bit pricey. Cost RM 63 per adult but there were many selection of food to choose from. There were Rice with few selection of dishes to accompanied with, selection of salads, petite cakes, ABCs and cendols, fruit rojaks, and best so far was the sweet crabmeat soup. It was to die for, we had it refilled for few times. Breakfast buffet was unfortunately a bit dissapointing. By the time we arrived at 930am, most of the foods are finished and the staffs had taken no action to refill those. Selection of food are just okay I must say, really nothing special about it.

In summary we favor the pool and dinner buffet but dislike the room and receptionist service.

Room Tip: Call the resort before making any online room reservation to get better rooms, unless you don't...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
From the General Manager

Thank you for choosing us as your preferred holiday destination. We do appreciate hearing from you, as your comments are vital for us to continue improving our services. We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

I requested for seaview room and the view faces tree branched. Made complaint & show me another room facing brick wall ??!! Requested to reduce rate to non-seafacing view, they told me I have taken the room & cannot be cancelled!

Ok fine. Initial booking was 2 twin beds. Bed given is supersingle &told me all size are the same. Very good....

Went to visit the jacuzzi & gym etc.... ops... sorry u need to pay~~ what??!! Isnt in-house facilties free?

Went to the pool. .. the pool towel smells... sand in the pool.... wow. Just the first day explored a lot of 'good stuff'

• Stayed December 2013
5 Thank mytripexp
From the General Manager

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing us as your preferred holiday destination. On behalf of management, I would like to express my regrets on the experience you have had with us. Rest assured every measure has been taken to avoid similar occurences in making the resort attractive to all our guests and visitors, in all aspects. Thank you again for your comments. We hope that you will give us another chance to serve you.
malayia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

Water leaking from bathroom and spread all over bedroom...no action taken untill we have to search n call the person incharge..very bad service...after we complaint about the leaking not any of their staff coming to check the problem..we have to call again n again..room service only came after 3 hours n dont know anything about the complaint...they just dry the water on the floor with towel ...

• Stayed December 2013
5 Thank abizie

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

I just like and never get bored with the view of the hotel, especially during breakfast- facing Pangkor Island- splendid moment! I always request for sea view room too- worth the money compared to 'garden' facing- if unlucky you are facing car park!! Nice for weekend getaway, but anything longer, I just wonder what to do here? However, this hotel is famous for big groups from KL, namely for treasure hunt etc etc.. My last visit few weeks back was really bad as this hotel pioritise these big groups to enjoy breakfast in their restaurant with view, whilst we, the 'non group' people were forced to use their secluded small thai restaurant. I've been to this hotel every year since 2003, and never felt sidelined until my last visit. I think the management needs to be more sensitive of why people go to your resort, and don't sidelined people who use their own pocket money compared to those paid by company please!!

Room Tip: Go for sea view room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ize1978

Johor Bahru, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

Stayed at the sea view hotel room, not the villas.

- waited for 3 hours before finally getting a room. Occupancy was not high based on web site reservations just 1 day before my stay. So no reason to make me wait 3 hours.
- housekeeping took 1 of my room access cards. When call housekeeping, they said they would check and get back to me. They never got back to me at all.

Bedroom
- wall paper were worn out.
- safe was too small.
- aircond vents were black with thick dirt/dust
- balcony door worn out. had to be forced open or close. And it's dirty, wood railings old and rotting.
- paint was fading and yellowish
- floor was sticky with, what looks like, food stains.
- furniture are old and looks very used.
- some light bulbs were burnt out and not replaced. housekeeping should have all these checked when preparing the rooms.

Bathroom
- Very used and no proper maintenance.
- toilet bowl scratched really bad and brown color.
- no face/hand towels provided. had to call housekeeping to get them.
- shower head not spraying water properly.
- bathtub is yellowish.
- no bathrobe provided.
- towels were worn out and not soft anymore.

Beach
- dirty. rubbish everywhere
- sea water is brown in color
- fisherman all over the beach. some even pulled their fishing line from the back of the beach to the sea water, waiting for a bite on their fishing line. If you're not careful, you'll walk into the fishing line.
- no beach chair. Even if there was, the beach chair is worn out, and there's no cushion for the chair. With this, don't expect breach umbrellas too.

Food at Garden Terrace. Being one who is not very particular with food, here's what I've got to say.
- breakfast was terrible. Limited variety. Food looked like it was cooked for the sake of having food served.
- Lots of fly all over. No sight of electronic fly/insect light trap. No sight of candles to control fly infestation.
- Flies are seen on dry food. Some food are not refilled when finished.
- Tables and chairs worn out and looked dirty.
- There is an outdoor area facing the sea, but no tables and chairs are setup to enjoy outdoor breakfast facing the sea. Probably because hotel are unable to control the presences of flies. Or unless monkeys too?

Food at The Gayam. I wanted to try out the seafood BBQ buffet so I went to check this place out. I ended up not eating there for the reasons below.
- Only 3-4 types of seafood, at most 5 types (including fish, crab, prawns, etc. all in).
- cheap variety of seafood. eg. normal crab, squids, prawns, regular fish, some cheap looking mussles (don't even have cod or salmon).
- other food variety was so terribly limited and the looks of the food just made me lose appetite. I ended up buying junk food and biscuits from the convenient store and that was the final night's stay there.

Summary: I paid RM300+ per night and it was not even close to it's worth. For a place like this, if by any miraculous chance that I do come back, it's only worth RM150 (approx USD 45). Unless major improvements are done, this hotel is just 2 stars, at most, 3 stars. Nothing more.

Room Tip: Don't even come here unless they have done major improvements and giving free stay!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank DzheryTi
SwissGardenLumut, General Manager at Swiss-Garden Beach Resort Damai Laut, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
From the General Manager

On behalf of management, I would like to express my regrets on the experience you have had with us. We wish to allay your concern by assuring you that our service standards remain an utmost priority to our group of hotels in all areas which includes cleanliness, maintenance, hospitality and quality of physical facilities as well as delivery of services.

Thank you for your comments and we do appreciate hearing from our customer, as your comments are vital for us to continue improving our services.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lumut
Marina Island Pangkor Resort & Hotel
Coral Bay Resort, Pangkor
Sfera Hotel
Sfera Hotel
#3 of 19 in Lumut
Mornington Hotel Waterfront Lumut
Pangkor Laut Resort
Pangkor Sandy Beach Resort

Been to Swiss-Garden Beach Resort Damai Laut? Share your experiences!