“Blue Bay Resort”

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Lumut
Shah Alam, Malaysia
“Blue Bay Resort”
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Bit run down and needs painting on the building itself. Carpark below the swimming pool area seems to have water proofing problem. Can see stalactite at the carpark area.

Rooms are ok clean. Swimming pool..is a different story. Have two swimming pool at this facility. the deeper pool is clean. The baby pool is a bit green.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank 1Pin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Malaysia
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Booked the Blue Bay because nothing else seemed to be available. Had not expected much but was pleased to find that the room was clean, the floor had recently been refurbished from the old carpeting to a new tiled floor (tiled floors or floors made with engineered hardwood are becoming the norm at Malaysian beach resorts).

Unfortunately, that's not the only thing that needs refurbishment. The curtains had a tear in them and my sheets--though clean--were threadbare. The pool tiles should be completely redone. All furnishings are old and need to be replaced. Based on other reviews, I had expected thin and dirty towels and had brought my own, but that was not the case. The towels were a little grey with age but thick enough for this class of hotel.

The bathrooms need to be refurbished completely. The night of my stay, two small cockroaches emerged from under the waste bin while I was in the bathroom. That is just unacceptable.

The place is rather run-down (the fact that the car-park is partially situated under the swimming pool does not help) and also includes some privately-owned apartments.

The room info at booking time was too scant. I had no idea whether there would be a kettle for water, cups or a mini-fridge in the room, or whether we would be given breakfast. To my pleasant surprise, all of this was included in the room rate (at just about RM100).

The Front Desk staff are extremely friendly and helpful. However, it appears they do not know their rooms well. The receptionist told us that we had rooms facing the sea and the swimming pool but our view turned out to be the pool and more of the water treatment plant than the sea, unfortunately.

Location-wise, this "resort" is great because it is within walking distance of the jetty, the town and food stalls. A back door leads to a waterfront park which we did not have time to check out. Opposite of the Blue Bay are some shops selling local dried seafood products.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Canada, Kentucky
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I've spent 3 nights in the hotel with my family. My children enjoyed the kid pool so much, it was clean and spacious. It's location is just 3min walk to the pangkor jetty and along the walk to the jetty there is a huge nice park that we have really admired.We spent our whole evening there, my children just loved the playground. The hotel staffs were helpful and friendly. I loved the buffet breakfast, although its a simple one. Room is spacious and clean. Overall, I am satisfied with the room and service provided plus it's budget!!! I would love to come back again!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Gemaine
malaysia
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Good service from the front desk for our check in. The room is spacious and clean. Just behind the hotel is the esplanade along the waterfront which is lovely during the evening with the sunset and the big ship at the estuary. Eateries just opposite the hotel. Serves good "wantan noodles" and black coffee. Walking distance to the jetty, town centre and the yacht club. Baby pool is good for children.

Room Tip: Connecting room is good for families. Deluxe room has king size bed and directly facing the sea.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank spvoon
Malaysia
Reviewed 28 January 2012

we stay at this hotel for one night. Overall the service is ok and food is just nice... Only the towel is quite dirty to us. We have change twice instead.

Room Tip: Deluxe room will be better for family travel with kids.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Sherry_Tam78
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 1 March 2011

We had booked this place via an online booking agency for a one night stay before going over to Pangkor Island, and knew that we weren't in for luxury, but it seemed fine in the website pictures. We walked along the waterfront and arrived to the back side of the hotel, and we honestly thought that there had been some mistake... from the run down dried-out fountains to the deserted garden and the bleak facade of the hotel... it seemed as if this hotel was no longer in business. Entering the lobby we discovered a receptionist and thought that we'd still give it a go. So we ignored the fishy smell, the ghostly vibe, the comically malfunctioning elevators. Unfortunately we weren't pleasantly surprised by the room... after a long walk down a long, run down hall way (with views of the not so inviting pool...) we found our room extremely stuffy and smelly, with ants all over the floor, which was by the way also covered by hairs. The vibe was so gloomy that we decided to go down to the ferry jetty and see if we could find somewhere else to stay the night. So after finding an available room at the Puteri Bayu (which happened to be almost just as dirty and unpleasant) we went back to the hotel to tell them we couldn't stay there. As we had booked and pre-payed via an agency the manager insisted that we couldn't get our money back (they get the money from the agent so i actually don't really see why not...) - but our minds were made up. At least the manager was friendly enough to give us a ride down to the jetty with all our luggage.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
10 Thank janglybracelets

Travellers are raving about these Lumut hotels

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 1 January 2011

Thankfully my partner and I only endured one night here as we were on our way somewhere else and just needed a bed for the night. We booked this hotel online based on fellow tripadvisor reviewers' comments and judging by the picture on a well-known hotel booking website we thought it seemed fine.
On drawing up to the place in a taxi, albeit in the dark, it could clearly be seen how shabby this place was, and if it ever had a best, it was well past it. On entering reception we were met by a smell of stale dampness. I notice that another reviewer says the receptionist has an attitude problem and I would agree. We mistakenly forgot to bring a print-out of our booking confirmation and that seemed to be a major problem as we were told we had to 'prove' we had made the booking even though we had handed over our passports and she could confirm our id. For an hour we stood at reception debating this issue; we have been to many hotels booked through these websites and none of them have ever even asked to see the emailed confirmation as they themselves are clearly notified of this by the website concerned. It even got to the point where I had to phone my dad who lives in the UK, on my mobile, to ask him to try to log in to my email account and tell me the confirmation details - ridiculous. I had my laptop with me but the log in details the receptionist gave me did not work. However after stating we were cancelling the booking and going to find another hotel she eventually called the manager and he sorted the matter out in 2 minutes. She was not rude, just unwilling to help, and a bit 'couldn't care less'.
On the way to our room we noticed yet again the place is totally shabby, with peeling paint, what looks like black mould or damp seeping down the walls and a definite smell of damp. The pool area was not clean, and the water itself did not look clean either.
The room was a decent size and was clean enough in itself but the bathroom was a disgrace, with black grout round the bath, a dirty mildewed shower curtain, and hairs on the floor clearly indicating it had not been properly cleaned. The bedsheets and towels, although I think they were clean, had ancient stains of unknown origin and had definitely seen better days. We asked at reception if we could have any bottled water as it was a hot evening and by the time we had finally checked in the local shops all appeared closed - she told us they did not supply drinking water and we had to boil the water from the bathroom tap and alow it to cool if we wanted water! The breakfast was possibly the poorest we have had. We bought a map of the area on which the Blue Bay had an advert stating that a 'dream holiday' was to be had here and sporting a picture which must have been taken the day the place was finished being built because it most certainly does not look like that now!
This is a pity because, barring the receptionist, the staff seem friendly.
I would agree with another reviewer who rated Jook's pub highly - this was a cosy place with a nice atmosphere and friendly staff although avoid the toilets!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple