“Haven of Peace” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Pangkor
Munich, Germany
“Haven of Peace”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

After traveling for several weeks through Australia and Malaysia, coming to Pangkor and ending up at the Ombak Inn Resort was like reaching a Haven of Peace. In a charming setting among tropical Fauna and Flora, with rooms which are not luxurious but absolutely sufficient, i.e. comfortable beds, clean bathroom, A/C, little terrace in front of every room, the owners do their very best to welcome their guests and make them feel at home. A very good buffet-style breakfast and the closeness to the beach are additional plus points.
We liked it so much that we came back for another 5 days after further travels through Malaysia in order to enjoy the peace and hospitality once again before going back to Germany.

Room Tip: Don't choose the budget rooms, they still need quite a bit of upgrading.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Susanne W

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Indonesian first
Puchong, Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

I'll start off with a quick 2 pointer:

1) If you're looking for a vacation away from the hustle and bustle (and you really mean it!), then by all means visit Pangkor during the quieter times i.e. away from school holidays, weekends and festivals. There was absolutely no life! Restaurants don't bother opening and you're only slightly better off if you arrived by car, which meant you're parked over in the mainland at Lumut. But again, only slightly better off because Lumut too is dead and the nearby Sitiawan town hardly qualifies as a town. Meh!

2) If you think Pangkor is anything like Phuket, Krabi and Penang at other times, nope. See above.

These two points pretty much encapsulate my stay in Pangkor. Oh, and if you thought that lesser people translates to lesser rubbish, you're wrong too.

To be fair, I hated to give the hotel 2 stars so I'll say that here, it refers more to the "class" of hotel I deem Ombak to be rather than the service, which was very good.

I booked a deluxe room which goes for about MYR20 more than the standard room. As I was told over the phone, deluxe is really just a bit more room space. The room was adequate, TV, fridge, hot water flask, heated shower and so on. The A/C was all right. A note about the TV. You get to watch whatever the owner is watching, because they are not individually tuned, but linked, I guess, to the exchange at the front counter.

You might be thinking "why on earth do I want to spend the day on this beautiful island watching TV?". See point one again, above.

I guessed we were the only couple staying in a the time; the water pressure is not unlike that of a fire truck. You could remove paint with that kind of power.

Taxi vans, for MYR15-20, will get a party of 4 around the island. A whole island tour is MYR70. A speedboat tour is about 30.

All in all, Pangkor will be great for a day or two if you really had it with people. Otherwise, look forward to doing nothing at all.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

Dont expect the Ritz Carlton...but its functional basic accomodation with owners that live there too. For RM150 for a room for four, it was great value, comfy beds, hot shower clean.

Its a charming cottage feel and in a super location...just below 5 mins to coral beach...one of the nicest beach in pangkor and where daddys cafe is

• Stayed April 2013
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

We planned to stay for three nights and ended up spending more than week at Ombak Inn. Deluxe rooms are are a true bargain for what you get. Clean, spacious, comfortable with good matresses and silent A/C. Our five-year old son has been treaded like a prince by owners and staff. If we returned to Pangkor, we would not think twice where to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank tr_berlin
selangor
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

I have spent my holiday in Ombak Inn last three weeks. I think that it is worth the money. With the money that I have spent, I am very satisfied. The family room is just nice for the six of us. Pn Nani and En Razak is very friendly. The girls are nice too. Breakfast is on time. Toast, scrambled eggs and pancakes are more than enough. Overall I am very satisfied with the service as this is the peak season, what more do I expect. Good job Ombak Inn...

2 Thank selangorpeace888
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

Visited ombak inn last month. After reading fairly good review on tripadvisor about this resort, i decided to give it a try. Its even ranked 2nd after pangkor laut which i feel in love after a visit early in february. I know its a budget hotel but with good hospitality any resort can be most welcoming. I google online, the rates is between 80-150 only. I booked online and the owner said just bank in 50 rm for deposit. And voila booking done for deluxe premium.
When the day came, me, my parent and my 10 and 5 years old brother arrived at the resort without any hassle. Perfectly timing. The resort is strategically situated right infront of the beach. Merely 5 minutes walk. Location wise.
During check in, the rooms in which i booked is occupied. I wonder why and the receptiom said the previous tenant extended their stay. But i already made my booking like a week before. Unacceptable. And they offered me a family rooom for rm200 without breakfast. Rm5 will be charged for brekfast per person. So total my stay is rm225. Thank god they dont have govenment tax and service charge.
I went to the room without much complain as my brother is extrwmely excited about the beach. The room is very very basic. 1queen bed, 2 single bed. Cleanliness need improvement, spider webs, dirty sinks, torn bedsheet, dirty towels. It might also need refurbishment. Even a budget hotel need to have standart as they provide places for ppl to rest after a very fun day outside.
I dont know if the refrigerator can be used. Its old, and have towels inside to absorb leaking.
Clearly the housekeeping didnot swept under the bed. When we rearrange the bed, candies wraps, plastic, dust, sands can be found. We borrow brooms from the reception and clean the room ourselves. No place to hang towels, very basic needs for me. Got 14inch tv where for me they can just remove it. No use.
At night, karaoke from nearby hotel is a bit uncomfortable. Noisy, bad singer i can tell. Haha. It will last up to 12midnight. Be ready.
The very next morning, breakfast buffet is very limited. There is just plain fried rice, some pancakes, sausage, bread. Thats it. They should have made it ala carte than buffet. People expect buffet would be more variable.
Then my parents decide not to stay here anymore and we moved to pangkor island resort.

This is actually a matured review in which asked by the owner. Ive been to lots of budget hotel, from penisular malaysia to borneo and even the worst place in indon. But at least i just paid rm20-50 for a very basic accomodation. I did not expect ombak inn to be like all ytl hotels in which i have stayed like the new majestic kl. But it is just bad i have to put it on tripadvisor and they dont even apologized instead ask me to visit other budget hotel and be matured. Bad. Very bad.

If you are foreigner as in europeans, stay here. They will treat you like kings. But if you are locals, then you are just locals. My parents they dont bother because they dont travel much. But me, im quite a traveller. So i know.

10 Thank trveller88
Kuching, Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2012

There were five of us. Me, my parents and my two little brother. I booked one week earlier for premium room. It cost only rm150. I pay in advance through online banking. When the day arrive, the room is not available. She give a replacement, a family room for rm200. Suddently i need to pay more. Im still tryimg to convince myself this going to be good. I went to the room. Its in a very bad shape. Torn bedsheet, rusty bed, smell damp. Broken tap, dirty floor. I even find condom plastic under the bed. I borrow brooms from the reception to sweep the floor myself. Terrible stay. Its a budget hotel, it should cost rm100 only. Not more. I can stay at fourpoint by sheraton at the cost of 200.

Room Tip: Avoid the family room.
7 Thank hassy12
Razak N, Owner at Ombak Inn Resort, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
Thank you for your respnse at Ombakinn Chalet recently. As budget place we try keeping our product and services at the most best that we can for the past years and have been fully appreciated and valued by our customers. We only used standard divan and mattress to avoid rust. We practised standard cleanliness and will take your comments to further improved our place. Your future visit to budget hotels would make your comment to be matured.