“Mixed Feelings About This One”

Pangkor Sandy Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Pangkor
Reviewed 6 April 2013

The hotel is situated about 3kms from the ferry terminal and town - an easy stroll if you're up for it.

We had rooms above the main office, up some stairs. Basic ammenities in the room but very clean! The only gripe I have about our rooms is that the wifi signal was absolutely crap. My son got better reception on his phone down at the restaurant and would sit downstairs in the office area if he wanted to FB or anything.

There are sugar ants in the rooms and I now have them still crawling out of my laptop but it has survived a Far North Queensland infestation of sugar ants so not overly preturbed but don't leave food or used cups lying about or you will have a number of friends.

Our beds were softer than the previous two places we've stayed at in Asia this holiday and I got the best nights sleep I've had this holiday. Not sure about TV reception etc but my son was watching TV in his room with no complaints.

The staff are friendy, willing to help and one of the chefs at the restaurant, an Indian lady, was just gorgeous. Couldn't do enough for us and her meals were far nicer than the ones we got the following night (which were the same meals - we just swapped what we were having between us) but all food was quite edible. Breakfast was included, a typical Malaysian breakfast spread - no complaints.

The 'resort' is what I would describe as quaint.

It might be that I arrived on pangkor Island very frustrated following a LONG night and day travelling from Singapore and getting the run around at bus stations but I was less than impressed with an island I had read many descibe as 'perfect', 'beautiful' etc etc. The beach where we stayed was average at best. It was small, crowded and certainly not the 'crystal clear' water I had heard about.

The town itself was trying its best to cater to tourist with numerous touristy shops nestled in amongst traditional ones. I think you'd be taking your life into your own hands if you hired a car as they looked on the whole like clapped out rust buckets held together with various bits and pieces and sometimes just a wing and a prayer!

We had lunch just down the road from the 'resort' at a little 'restaurant'and that was fantastic. Freshly squeezed juice, traditional meals and hot chips (fries) for dessert (they were on the dessert menu!).

The only other issue I had was with my laundry - now its dirt cheap to get done MYR $10 (thats washed, dried, possibly ironed, folded) per basket. My son and I gave reception a basket each at 9am. At 4pm I was told it would be ready at 7pm. At 7:30 my son was given his back and told mine wouldn't be ready until the following morning. We were leaving on the first ferry the following morning and I had already worn my last items of clean clothing for the two days we'd been on the island. I really didn't fancy waiting for clean clothes, packing and all while trying to get to the first ferry back to the mainland. But, for $10 I shouldn't complain.

My gut feeling on this one is, spend your dollars going somewhere else if you want a tropical beach holiday. If its just a break from cities then its fine for a few days. And this is not a reflection on this hotel as it was very good. Just an observation about the island in general and how it is marketed.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Clarkies_Travels

Reviewed 4 April 2013

Stayed here with a group of family. We took 4 rooms, 3 at the ground floor and 1 at upper floor.
Rooms was not bad but the bed is not comfortable and look old. No telephone line and limited tv channel, how ever wi-fi signal was fantastic. Resort was to small and cafeteria like a 'canteen' at my work place. This place not should call a 'RESORT' but more like a BB inns. Staff was ok and watersport near the beach area was too expensives for a local tourist. And more things, there is no fitness centre and its not valued for a money at all.

Room Tip: Reserve a Balcony room which is step away to the pool
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank jijoy
Reviewed 22 February 2013

IIn contrast to most of the other reviews of Pangkor I was most dissapointed with this island ,especially the condition of the beaches which besides the usual washed -up debris were littered withbroken glass, plastic and dog muck as well as other more unsavoury items which I will leave to your immagination. The main towns shopping seems to consist entirely of dried fish and ( cheap ) T shirts , and the vehicles are just scrappers , held together with duck tape and string , in one week saw 3 dead dogs left by roadside in main town
Moans over
Enter Sandy Beach Resort, What a difference, this little place is the perfect holiday resorf, clean ? no , its immaculate , good food , lovely pool and the staff are happy and friendly whilst being extemely helpfull and polite, the owner personally makes sure every guest is well catered for and will often indulge you in " Tales from the Plantations " while sharing a beer and watching the beautifull sunsets.
By all means visit Pangkor if that is what you wish, and if you do stay here its a perfect place to relax.

Room Tip: Tere are poolside rooms which appear to be a bit bigger and a couple of bungalows near the beach whi...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2013

I stayed here with 3 other friends on the 1st to 3rd of Feb 2013. We took the Super Deluxe B room which is meant for 5 pax for about RM375 a night, which we considered a good deal.

The resort is located at Pantai Bogak, and is right in front of the beach. The beach is public and quite small so it can get crowded and there's no space to sunbathe/relax on the sand etc. However its good enough to take a relaxing stroll or watch the sunset (beach empties around 7ish) and there are some wooden swings to sit on and enjoy the breeze & sunset.

The room was nice, clean and had enough space considering there were 4 of us in one room. Amenities were provided such as soap, shampoo, shower caps, hair dryers & drinking water; however pretty basic. Beds were clean but the floors were a little sandy when we arrived. But then again, we were staying at Sandy Beach Resort :D

Downsides of the room was that the bathroom door could not shut properly, and the toilet hose was leaking. We were also only given one room key for a room for 5 pax, and the key is needed to turn on the electricity in the room.

Breakfast was included though nothing to shout about. But service was excellent. Breakfast ends at 10am and two of my friends were still fast asleep at 9.45am, but the resort staff allowed me to take a plate of food back to the room for my friends provided that I return the plate to the kitchen later on. This usually isn't allowed, but I'm glad they were considerate to let me do that.

Housekeeping was also excellent; we were out most of the day and initially didn't want housekeeping to clean the room in the morning. But when we got back around 6pm, we requested for housekeeping and they had no issues coming in to clean the room even though it was late.

The best part of the resort I would say is the pool. Good for a dip at night as it's warm even at 9.30pm. Also, there is a food stall right in front of the resort which sells anything from burgers to noodles to nasi lemak, so affordable food is not a problem. There's also a chinese seafood restaurant opposite the resort which has great food, but is a little on the pricey side.

Overall, this resort is a great place to stay if you want to stay in large parties as they have rooms for 4 to 5 pax. The resort is a small resort with limited rooms so it doesn't get overcrowded (though check beforehand if there will be any events/family days going on during your stay to avoid noisy neighbours).

The beach is not too great to chill and swim at, but I would recommend a 10 minute taxi ride (RM15) to Coral Beach where the beach is gorgeous and there loads of water activities to do and a cafe that sells a lot of cocktails.

With a little maintenance in the rooms, Pangkor Sandy Beach Resort is a good place to stay in Pangkor.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are cool, as you can easily walk out the balcony door to the pool
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank zuliana_amz
Reviewed 12 February 2013

PANGKOR island is a MARVELOUS place who love green, quite, jungle-ish! We stayed in this hotel 3 nights for vacation but I hope to stay longer. From Lumut town there are ferries go to Pangkor island every half an hour and you should take a taxi to go to hotel, just 10 R. Hotel is very quite, clean, great breakfast include, safe, beautiful pool, nearby beautiful beach. We woke up with beautiful bird sounds everyday. There are daily trips to see other islands right in front. STAFFS are very trustworthy and humble people. Hotel has restaurant and serve great suitable price food.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Ayşegül F
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Last minutes planning to go for a short gateway with family. The resort is small, simple and lovely place to stay especially when you just want to relax. The staff also very friendly and helpful. We arrived during taxi drivers strike, they offered their resort Avanza to pick us up at the jetty. Clean room and pool. Nice breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: If you stay in the below room, don't be to annoyed with the footsteps upstairs because the wall...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Nein B
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Lovely small hotel on the beach with a great buffet breakfast and a fantastic swimming pool. Friendly and helpful staff, welcoming owner. Free Wi-fi. Excellent value for money. A perfect place for a relaxing and quiet holiday. Definitely the best hotel in Pangkor Island.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms and chalets.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lilial_b
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pangkor
Coral Bay Resort, Pangkor
Anjungan Beach Resort
Anjungan Beach Resort
#3 of 27 in Pangkor
Pangkor Waterfall Beach Resort

Been to Pangkor Sandy Beach Resort? Share your experiences!