“Barely bearable.”

Ranked #4 of 27 Hotels in Pangkor
Kuala Lumpur
“Barely bearable.”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Room floor is not clean, furnitures are old, bathroom too. Fortunately, there's no rats found under the linens as some other reviewers has commented. Air-con is freezing cold at night but the blankets are small. No balcony and the window leads to a very dirty outdoor corridor overseeing a small swimming pool. Hotel staffs are lacked of friendly smiles too. Walking distance to the beach. Food on barbeque night supposed to be splendid with all the seafood but unfortunately, all were served cold. Other choices of dining in are very limited as well.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Memphia77
benjaminlai, Public Relations Manager at Coral Bay Resort, Pangkor, responded to this review, 19 January 2015
Dear Memphia77,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor. We would like to extend our sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience you've had with us. As a service provider, it has been our goal to provide our guests with the comfort and pleasure that they deserve. The cleanliness and staffing issues you've noted will surely be highlighted in improving our overall quality. We do hope that your previous visit will not be the last, and we assure you that your next visit here will be a far better improvement.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
Puchong, Malaysia
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Room: Floor mat was not clean, contained blood stain and the floor contained shredded papers. Hangers were broken. Room was not sound proof, can hear people knocking doors at night.

Food: Taste average but less choices.

Swimming pool and sauna: Good. Towel was provided at the pool.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Chai123,

First of all thank you for your leaving us your feedback of our service on TripAdvisor. We duly apologize for the inconveniences that happened during your stay with us. We took note of your comments and be assured that we are working to improve on our delivery of service and this includes an offering of top notch amenities and facilities. Again we would like to apologize, and we hope that your next encounter in the future will be a far better improved experience.

Travellers are raving about these Pangkor hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Booked and given 2-superior interconnecting-rooms on high floor facing pool from 22nd-26th Dec 2013.
My family and I were very happy staying in this hotel as all staff starting from doorman, front desk receptionists even right to the chambermaids were very friendly, pleasant and helpful to us. We travelled to many countries and stayed in many hotels but never had the warmest welcome and stay like how we felt in Coral Bay. Superbly attentive GM Mr Raghu and his team of excellent staff like Mr Rasoul, Mr Ayub and the others made our holiday thoroughly memorable. These people never stopped giving us suggestions on activities to do & places to get good bargains & meals and also took very good care of us, even invited us to their Christmas party and the trip to hornbill feeding farm and also provided us with transfer back to the jetty, all compliments from this fantastic team.
Your kindest service and care to all your guests went over and beyond our expectation. We will never hesitate to recommend your hotel and excellent service to our friends and relatives. We will definitely come back.

Room Tip: Choose higher floor non-facing pool room if you prefer quieter environment.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank IntanNoraini
Dear IntanNoraini,

Thank you for your time writing us this review on Tripadvisor. We are very happy to know that we've succeeded in making your stay with us a very special one. Your comments on our colleagues especially on Mr. Raghu, Rasoul, and Ayub will definitely be channeled down to each one of them. We hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back here again at Coral Bay Resort in the near future.
Ipoh, malaysia
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I booked this hotel, after getting the telephone numbers from the internet. When I called up and told them I need a room, and booked the room. I told them that before 5 pm I will be at the hotel. anyway the check in time is 1530. I reached the hotel at 13.20 . I told them that I made a booking and early. Normally I thought that, My wife and me will be told to sit at the lobby till 1530., but to my surprise the staff by the name of Ayu allowed me to go in to the room atter me paid the payments for 3 nights.
Deposit around US 30.00 is also collected from us.. (refundable) . So the registration was done in a fast manner, I did not wait long, it is about 10 to 15 minutes . The attitude in handling my case is very good. I should ,be very thankful to them . Pick my bags -- to the room in the 2nd floor facing the sea. . the room is very spacious for a 3 star ratings. But the T.V is an old type. equipped with a few channels
We went to the coffee house to order food as we were hungry. One plate of fried noodles one plate of fried rice and a bottle of mineral water. the waiter by the Miss Amalina serves with a big smile on the face. It cost below U,.S 7.00. The food is O.K. to eat.
In the night the 2 bulbs were not functioning. so I rang up the receptionist and told her that the bulbs are not functioning, in about 10 minutes the tecnician came and changed the bulbs. Very fast.
The next day -- breakfast time. Wow the whole hotel customers are there to have their bellys full. As usual bread - one type that is the white one. , fried noodles, rice, corn flakes, salad, and fruits. for the price we paid and breakfast we get is very good. It is very much better than many hotels in Europe, or even the Tune hotels. Drinks, orange juice, coffee or tea.. Or you have all together as it is buffet. The next time I will stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: Get the rooms that are facing the sea.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Penang
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We stayed at the hotel during Chinese New Year. Check in was fast. We were given a room with a view of the sea. It was nice that you can sit out on the balcony and watch the sunset. However, the rooms were a bit tired and the pool was rather small to accommodate all the guests. It is quite near to a few eateries and within walking distance of the lively Pasir Bogak Beach. The breakfast served was pretty basic and nothing to shout about.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisalam88
Kulim, Malaysia
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I has been stay at coral bay resort for 3days 2night. The location of the hotel vy nc. 4rm hotel 2 go 2 beach is walking distance. Just 5minit. 4rm hotel 2 town just 10mnt. They oso gt their own teksi stand. Easy 4 us 2 get taxi 2 go anywer. Room r vy clean n beautiful. The staff of coral bay resort is vy friendly n their service r vy gud n i am loving it vy much. At theif loby got games 4 the guest 2 reliase their tension n bored. Fud is vy delicios n gt each day variety of fud. They oso gt indoor n outdoor activity. I reali enjoy tis holiday at coral bay resort. Tis time i cm wt my future husband n sure next time will cm wt my family. To wo else want cm 2 pangkor, i suggest coral bay is the best. U cn hv a wonderful day wt ur family here. Lastly tq to the staff n management for gv a gud service. Keep it up. C u next time guys...

Room Tip: Higher floor of hotel is less noisy. Room r large.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank selvacrystal
manchester
Reviewed 16 October 2013

First things first: it's NOT a resort - you have to leave to get to the grubby beach. On arrival the surly staff on reception only seemed interested in taking money (it caters mostly for Chinese and as westerners we never felt welcomed), but we've travelled a bit and never judge a book etc.... However, that crucial moment on opening the door to the 2 bedroom 'apartment' ( and I use the term loosely) I thought we'd done something wrong and been sent to a detention centre. The decor was very poor, the cheapest, migraine- inducing lights possible, holes punched into doors, air con from the 1970's that sounded like a truck coming through the room at night and zero attempt at suggesting any comparison with the very clever photography on their website. The pool is fine, not particularly safe for young children- oh and there was a mysterious list of daily 'activities' for the kids, but we never once saw anyone doing anything active! at all. so, Who is to blame? Us for 'blind' booking? For not doing enough research? The hotel owners for not understanding customer care? The managers for being rude ( the only friendly faces and genuine smiles were from the Indian staff who took time to speak (no change there) and THIS EXAMPLE SUMS UP THE PETTINESS OF CORAL BAY RESORT- on the second morning I had a bad migraine (the lights?) and the manager on duty flatly refused my wife to bring two pieces of toast from the breakfast area to our room!!! two pieces of toast! Of course she told them to stop being ridiculous and brought me the toast. And ah the breakfasts.... Poor quality and very very little choice; the same every morning...we had our two young daughters with us who seemed to sensel how miserable we were getting. Anyways, what did we do? We let them know how we felt but of course nothing would alter our experience, so we checked out and found the FABULOUS SANDY BEACH RESORT about 2 minutes walk away. Now this is what we expected. Pangkor is lovely, it has a rough and rowdy feel in town, quite bleak in parts, needs a good clean up on some of the beaches, but I love it's heart and its charm. I certainly would come back to Pangkor, but never to coral bay resort. In the end I'm sure someone has something positive to say about this place, but the basic level of customer service isn't really that different wherever you travel in the world and this place needs a serious overhaul. Oh and no wifi unless you are STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO THE RECEPTIONIST- which isn't very convenient if you're in your pyjamas.

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank piccolinamina
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pangkor
Nazri Nipah Camp
Anjungan Beach Resort
#3 of 27 in Pangkor
Pangkor Waterfall Beach Resort
Pangkor Laut Resort

Been to Coral Bay Resort, Pangkor? Share your experiences!