“Not for the claustrophobic”
Review of Nipah Bay Villa

Nipah Bay Villa
San Diego, CA, USA
“Not for the claustrophobic”
Reviewed 15 January 2012

This is a place to get a room for an inexpensive price. But that's all it is. Unless you're a young backpacker doing whatever you can to stretch your budget, you will not enjoy this place. The rooms are small (but clean), the walls are incredibly thin, there is no view, there is no breeze, and there is no privacy either inside or outside your room. Essentially the owners (who, by the way, are quite friendly) have stuck up as many ramshackle rooms as their little property could possibly support. This is as far from being a beach resort as I can imagine. After one night, my wife and I had to flee. We had come too far to spend our short vacation in as dreary a setting as this. Our other hotel cost more (but not twice as much) and the extra cost was well worth it, believe me.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Thomas M

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Indonesian first
Paris, France
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I have stayed in dozens of budget-to-mid-range places in Asia and this one does not reach my average expectations. The one good thing I can say is that they are helpful on the phone if you want to make a booking: they will pick up quickly and speak good english.
Other than that, the place is really average. We splet one night in the "chalet" and 2 nights in the "economy" room. The chalet had a good TV and AC but the bed is crap and the bathroom is just unpractical. The economy room was about 110 sqft including the closet bathroom where you can sit on the toilet and take a shower at the same time, while brushing your teeth. That room was really noisy, not because of traffic but because of our neighbors who were smoking something and laughing out loud until later than we could bear. Definitely not a great night. And no good breakfast either. I should also mention that they have a kitchen but it's closed most times of the day so if you miss the non-included buffet breakfast, you won't even get a coffee, even if you ask nicely. They also have scooters on rent but won't rent it to you unless you show an international driver's license. That is one bs requirement considering there is not a single cop on the island and that next door they will rent it to you without even asking if you can drive.
So all in all, you don't sleep well in nipah bay villa and you pay more than you should for this kind of place. Go if everything else is booked. Otherwise find something else

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Courla
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Room was ok, no daily housekeeping for the chalet. Bed is too hard for my liking... and consider that I prefer hard bed, but their is way too hard like sleeping on the floor. Pangkor bay view is next door nd they hv pool, their room looks better. Pangkor island itself is not well taken care of by the councillor. Rubbish all over,beach operators are allowed at public beach instead of in a sepaate area.

• Stayed December 2011

Hotel location: *
Hotel structure: ** and half
Hotel staff: *****
Hotel Food: ****
This is a very difficult review to write, because I have rarely found people so friendly and flexible running an hotel and , at the same time, be so disappointed.
Let me explain the situation: I've been trying to find a good snorkelling place in Malaysia for my Xmas holidays. The China Sea eatern side is closed for the rains, therefore, I've been trying to find something on the western side.
I have to say that I'somehow spoiled, having been in Maldives, Australia, red Sea, East africa, Caribbeans and so on.
But the snorkelling in Pulau Pangkor was as exciting as a dive in the city sewage.
Probably the water was clean, but the visibility did not reach 50 cm. underwater.
All this in very few spots where 3.000 tourists, local and foreigners, where trying to see something, with motor boats and jet sky passing 5 meters away. I' ve jumped back into the boat, bade goodbye and left Coral Bay asap.
Back to the hotel.
We booked through Booking.com, where was not very well specified the type of room.
The first night, we had n.22, which is the closest thing to a lager I have ever paid for.
No windows, 3x3.5 mts., no place where to hang a pair of pants.
The very friendly lady at the reception moved us to a chalet, the following day, being the place fully booked. The chalets are definitely fine. Very good value for money. But.....
...the whole estate is in 4th line form the sea, after other three local hotels. It's well kept, the chalets are fine, but the whole thing is totally crammed. no more than 4 meters among each unit.
Then we had a lovely group of tourists waking up before 7.00 a.m. and rehearsing their tasks as the Disneyland parade dubbers. A minimum of 120 Db reached.
In the afternoon, two very excited children played all around our chalet. it is nice to know that Montessori's method is World-wide spread. The parents, in fact, did not spend a single word to refrain their kids from trying their contralto skills.
When we decided to leave, the lady running the hotel was so kind to refund us two nights.
They were helpful in finding bus tickets and all the other requests. The massage were cheap and well done.
I think that Backpacker may find the place very appealing. Personally, I will have very dear memories of the people, while I will drink trying to forget the rest.

Room Tip: Chalets only. Stay away from n.22...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank njonjoskara
Malmö
Reviewed 26 November 2011

We stayed for 10 nights in November. The staff are super friendly and helpful which is always nice. The chalet was a bit old but well looked after. It had a strange smell in it which was not very nice. The air con was old and very noisy and not even my ear plugs kept the noise out. Also some of the staff would watch telly really loud late in the evening which was next to our chalet. That was not very nice when we were trying to get some sleep. We also had some problems with pur room not beeing cleaned. It was probably a missunderstanding but ur room didn't get cleaned for 5 days and when we asked about it it got cleaned very nicely. Then it didn't get cleaned again so we had to ask again. I don't think one should have to ask twice. The owners felt really bad about this missunderstanding though and the room got cleaned very nicely onwards, but make sure you tell them you want your room cleaned.The resort is well looked after and it's about 10 minutes walk to Coral Beach which is a nice beach. Nipah Bay is the place to stay if you're on Pangkor Island since the other beaches are not as nice.
We loved Pangkor since it's such a nice island with friendly people, good restaurants (especially Daddy's Café on Coral Beach) and laid back. The island is quite small so rent a motorbike and go around.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Karin F
Puchong, Malaysia
Reviewed 3 November 2011

Decided @ the last minute to go for a family trip to Pangkor during the Raya leave (30-31/8).
Nipah villa was the only hotel available for our large group. We booked it with great misgivings, because the rooms were cheap. Judging by the price, we were expecting the worst. We reached there 3 hours too early, but Mrs.Sabtu arranged a room for us quite fast (we had 3 toddlers with us). We were not satisfied with one of our rooms, the management arranged for another room which was very satisfactory. All the rooms were clean, including the toilets. The showers outside the rooms are a good idea, since we could wash off the sand before entering the rooms/ chalets. The beach is just a few minutes walk away. Did'nt get a chance to try the food in the restaurant, but we are planning to go back again soon. Try to get the chalets, if you're planning to go there. Nipah bay villa is a good place to stay!

Room Tip: Get the chalets!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank SuKaDuKa
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Reviewed 28 October 2011

i went to Pangkor 3 times this year (2011) and I stayed here each time. The individual chalet is the best place to stay here. The toilet is clean. The sheets are clean. The tv + Astro and aircond works very well. There is also wireless internet. Breakfast is great. Plus the nicest beach on the island is a stone throw away. I stayed here 3 times and I've never been disappointed. I definitely plan to stay here again next time i visit Pangkor.

Room Tip: i only stayed in the individual chalet so i cant help much in choosing room but be sure to prepare c...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple