“A Bit dissapointed”

Seagull Beach Resort
Seagull Beach Resort
Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels in Pangkor
Reviewed 3 December 2010

We stayed here for 4 nights in December 2010. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the location and price were great. But the rooms werent really that good. Dust and sand everywhere so I dont think the room was properly cleaned in ages. The chairs looked like someone has vomited on them and the closed smelled so moldy we didnt dare to put anything in it.

At nighttime there were many mosqitos in the room thought we kept the doors closed at all times, so we didnt sleep well at all. Breakfast wasnt so good either, but it wasnt included in the price and there were many good places to eat nearby. The wifi worked very randomly, the tv had awful reception (so much for the hbo) and the public pingpong table was also broken.

The only thing I really enjoyed at Seagull was looking at the monkeys and hornbills from the balcony. Wouldnt book there again because there are more cheaper and cleaner options with the same services nearby (our friends recommended the budget beach resort nextdoor).

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cesmes

Reviewed 28 November 2010

Let me start by saying that I’ve never written a review before and this is because I’ve never stayed in a place this bad and feel that people should be warned. I have travelled around the world and this is categorically the worst place I have ever had the misfortune in staying.

They first showed me to a room around the back, surrounded by sparse scrubland, which depicted a scene from a concentration camp. The fetid room stank of a mixture between body odour and disinfectant (probably used to try and hide the stench of body odour). The bed was a thin layer of padding stretched over rusty bed springs. I asked to see another room.

The next delight was amongst the main ramshackle collection of accommodation out side the office building. On first inspection it seemed ok so we agreed to take it for 1 night. Later we found that the a/c produced nothing more than a warm cough of air. When I used the toilet the waste connection leaked over the en-suite floor. A gutter ran straight through the middle of the en-suite ceiling and during the heavy downpour that night it also leaked into the middle of the en-suite. The bedroom lighting was a bare fluorescent strip at one end of the room. The curtains consisted of two dirty sheets roughly chopped to shape and the bedroom ceiling was covered in general grime. I’m sure you would receive better sanitary and habitable conditions in a prison cell. Furthermore, this ‘accommodation’ hosts large groups of Malaysians and they disturbed our sleep until 3:30 in the morning.

Upon check out I informed the manager of our room and its sorry condition to which he had no apparent knowledge. I asked for a recompense of just 15% to which he plainly refused. Not wanting an argument I walked away and sought alternative accommodation at the pleasant Ombak on the next right turn, away from the beach. The solution to my frustration was to write this review and to that end I feel much better.. thank you for reading and I hope this helps you plan a more pleasant stay on Pangkor Island.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank splyph
Reviewed 30 September 2010

it's 5 min fro the action, so it's quiet.
And for its price, we cannot fault this place. A/C, attached bathroom, balcony (if you're lucky), HBO. hot water, drinking water...

Some reviewers talk about upgrading. Ok why not, but after that the price would much higher.. . It's incredible value for Malaysia.
The staff and owners were perfect as well, always eager to help and entertain.

Recommended !!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2010

Stayed at this place for 2 nights. Tried calling the owner about 5 - 6 times but couldn't get him on the phone. So we have to get there on our own. The moment we reached the place, all our jaws dropped. Was pretty disappointed with what we saw there and what we saw in the pictures. When we reached our room, we were like WHAT?! The place was shabby looking and the chair is covered in stains. The air-cond is like releasing hot air and the tv is not working. We requested to change the room. The new room is nothing better than the old, just that the tv is working.

The staff there is helpful and friendly. For the whole stay there, we didn't see the owner of the place whom everyone here praises. Nevertheless, our stay there was still pretty enjoyable. But if we're going to pangkor again, we'll opt to stay at another place.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank CelestinaYSP
Reviewed 3 April 2010

I spent 3 nights here. Good location - about a 5 min walk to main gross beach and about 15 minutes to the nicer Coral Beach. Owner is extremely friendly and overall service is good. But the place is in serious need of updating. I stayed in one of the cabins and you could hear a person cough through the walls. The towels were old and the blanket was an old towel as well. Cheap stay, but could be much more.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 March 2010

This a kind of motel resort. I chose Seagull Beach Resort after reading some good reviews about it. Our time there (from 16/2 - 18/2/2010) for 3 days 2 nights was relaxing. Pangkor Island itself is small and the town smaller. My family and I are Christians and when we checked in we discovered that the owner Mr KC Tan was also a Christian and a friendly one. Seagull is a nice and simple accommodation and value for money, especially during off-peak seasons. The location is near town. Mr Tan and his staff offer friendly service and is accommodating to your needs, eg, when you need a lift (and return journey) to downtown eating places, shopping, etc. He will listen to your needs. This is also a good place to have company retreats and a great place for church camps. It has a moderate restaurant but if you want exciting food, better head to town for it.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 February 2010

We stayed here for 10 days . The rooms are very basic and the cabins are very small however the rooms in the main building are larger. Breakfast is available 5ringit continental 7ringit english (eggs beans toast orange juice coffee or tea.Water for drinking is free of charge There is a laundry service done by weight 6ringit a kilo! And wireless internet 5ringit for your entire stay By far the best thing about this place is the owner KC Tan He is the most helpful person I have met on my travels . He gives free shuttle to town , will book your return coach and help in many ways and all for free!! The resort is a 5minute walk to the beach but this is a small draw back when weighed against the service. It is a pity that the beach and roads at teluk Nipah are in such a poor state at the moment making the area very dirty hopefully thus will soon be put right.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple