Even at the very minimal level advertised (and Cozy Home makes no inflated claims about luxury)this hotel just met the minimum standard. By far the best thing was the owner and staff, who were always cheerful and helpful. The New World food court supplies good, cheap, food only 200m away (go left from hotel door and left again down Lorong Alley into Jalan Hutton).
Other than that: The location (food court excepted) was poor. Just too far up Jalan Argyll.
The room had ants - both exploring the room and passing through to others. Repeated sprayings were needed to remove them.
The wi-fi is exceptionally poor (0.3mbps is average, with an inconsistent signal at best). Not helped by the (domestic) router being located 9ft above the ground between the floors, so resets are an event!
The bed was very hard, with a standard blanket issued on a queen sized bed. It was also not particularly stable, with bed boards collapsing at one point. There is no other furniture except for the (1990's) TV on a shelf. In spite of this, the room seemed very cramped.
In spite of an electric shower, the shower water barely got above luke warm for the whole stay, and I had to jury rig a clip to hold it in place.
The air-con seemed to have a mind of its own - it would sometimes obey the remote, but not always.
My over-riding impression at the Cozy Home was the noise. The hotel is clearly remodelled from a small number of flats. This was done poorly, leaving water pipes exposed and audible, thin walls, and other issues. The karaoke bar 2 doors down was clearly audible to 1 or 2am, even though we had a room on the wall furthest from the bar.
Would avoid if possible in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cozy Home Inn is a new guest house in the historic city of George Town, Penang, a UNESCO World Heritage city.Located conveniently near the George Town World Heritage zone, banks, money changers, local Chinese/Indian/Malay food, bus interchange, supermarket and Upper Penang Road night avenues, it provides no frills but cozy and affordable lodging which will meet your basic accommodation needs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Cozy Home Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cozy Home Hotel Georgetown
- Cozy Home Inn Penang/George Town