We spent 3 nights in Penang. Wonderful town with plenty of good food and warm locals. The Straits Collection was recommended to me by a friend who is a local. Therefore I had no qualms about booking this property. Location wise we had no complaints because it was in the middle of Georgetown. With the price that we paid, we were expecting close to a luxury boutique property but there were wooden panels covering the door from the ceiling which looked like they were just put there temporarily to block out the noise from the streets. The front door was in its original state (you could see the street outside in between the panels) which meant that the noise from the street outside was crystal clear. Also for light sleepers, do be aware that the property is very close to a mosque so the daily morning calls to prayers can be very loud. The wiring work was shoddy, they were firstly not concealed, secondly they looked as if they were done in a hurry and we could even see the router dangling from the wires. The toilets were also not thoroughly cleaned, they smelt of urine. Amenities were not replenished on a daily basis. Towels were not changed even though we soiled one and placed them on the floor. Though we will be back to Penang, we will definitely not be staying at The Straits Collection.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Retail, restaurants and residences in antique Chinese shophouses located in the core zone of UNESCO Heritage Georgetown, Penang. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK) and TripOnline SA so you can book your Straits Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Straits Collection Hotel Georgetown
- Straits Collection Penang/George Town