A great welcome, given a drink while you check in, room's prepared and luggage taken to your room for you. After a couple of minutes in the room, someone pops in to deliver green tea and snacks (crackers & biscuits). All very lovely & homely.
I stayed on the second level, the far right corner or as the staff put it, "the most secluded" of their rooms! I have to say that even with the PR twist, I did like the location and the view from the balcony (couch side) is right down the length of the property, to the road. And quite magical and lush at night with lights twinkling along the lower level.
The room itself was beautifully decked out - very much in keeping with the age of the grade 2 listed Muntri Mews. The room is a long one, with an almost romantically draped mosquito netted king size bed at one end, and a wet room styled ensure at the other - coloured with cool black and white checkered tiles that give the heritage approach a little modern styling. There was a long day bed type couch along the wall and flat screen TV opposite, along with small café table. The room may be narrow but with the way it's styled and the careful and strategic use of mirrors, the room feels much, much larger.
Since last Lonely Planet edition (if you've read the MM review), rooms now have a lockable wardrobe but still no safe. I felt pretty secure in leaving stuff locked up in my bag and locked in the cupboard. But it's a personal choice, so talk with the staff if you're concerned.
There is also Wi-Fi access in the room (not just the common areas as a couple of reviews have mentioned) but it's frustratingly patchy at times, seeming to depend on where you're sitting in the room.
Since Penang is all about food, the Mews Cafe is a good jumping off point into the local food scene. There's a small menu for dinner (although the breakfast and cocktail menus seem larger on variety) but I can heartily recommend visiting for any time of the day. I had breakfast included in my room rate - and it was delicious - so only had to pay for dinner or drinks, which were not so reasonably priced (would even go so far as saying they were comparable to what I'd pay back in Melbourne) but they were very, very tasty. The steep prices didn't seem to stop people coming in to eat or drink though. The cafe became packed over the hour or more while sitting there.
As you'd expect from staying in a place with only 9 rooms, the MM staff are all very friendly and willing to help. Ask them for tips & hints, anything you need. They've even designed their own map with a few different walking trails for you to take, pointing out the best sightseeing spots around old George Town and more importantly, the best food places to stop at along the way.
My final two key tips for your stay here would be: (1). bring earplugs or you'll be serenaded by motorbikes/cars/cats/dogs all night.
And (2). bring mozzie repellent. Even with the mosquito net around the bed, the bug zapper thingy in the room AND the turn down service staff carry out in the evening with an additional dose of bug spray...you will still need it because those little buggers get in. Trust me.
All in all, Muntri Mews was a very comfortable place to stay. Well designed and located and I'd definitely recommend it to travellers wanting something different than the usual hotel experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Muntri Mews is affordable luxury accommodation for today flash packer located in the heart of Georgetown the UNESCO world heritage site.every room come with spacious lounge areas opening out to the Verandah upstairs or to the lush private tropical garden downstairs.Muntri street has one of the best preserved rows of townhouse residence in Malaysia. elegant expression of 19th century straits Chinese architecture, equivalent to Singapore Emerald Hill. these grand terraces invariably had mew- private stables for horse carriages, with staff quarters upstairs which then became garage for motor cars during the Edwardian Era. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Agoda, Priceline, Ctrip TA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Muntri Mews reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Muntri Mews Hotel Georgetown
- Muntri Mews Penang/George Town